Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: audio test file (Read 3417 times) previous topic - next topic

audio test file

Does anyone know if the right way to make sure your setup will not clip is to play back whitenoise at 0db? 
Does anyone have a test file they wouldn't mind attaching of such?  I am having a hard time finding one, and my matlab code has expired this year gr.

audio test file

Reply #1
I don't know if white noise would be a good way to check for clipping because I'm not sure how you would hear it (maybe you're using a scope). Anyway, I do have a sample that I've created for doing WavPack tests and I've uploaded it here.

Be careful with the volume first time you play it! 

Oops, I didn't realize that we can attach uploads to any thread. Sorry!

audio test file

Reply #2
Awsome thanks so much bryant! Gosh with wavpack, you have been quite a help to me =) thanks for all the good work you do, hard to find developers such as you!

I am actually using bruteFIR and using its peak measuring output, although I don't know how accurate this is.  I am attenuating the filters I am using, perhaps I should just be attenuating the final output and letting all of the values go over full scale and only bring them down after processing?  I can't see the difference since its all done in 64 bit =)

Thanks for the file and have a good week!

audio test file

Reply #3
I am actually using bruteFIR and using its peak measuring output, although I don't know how accurate this is.  I am attenuating the filters I am using, perhaps I should just be attenuating the final output and letting all of the values go over full scale and only bring them down after processing?  I can't see the difference since its all done in 64 bit =)

Ah! For some reason I thought you wanted to test for clipping in your soundcard...

Yeah, if you're doing everything in 64-bit then just attenuating the final output seems the easiest to me. Glad you could use the file!

audio test file

Reply #4
Well I am testing my soundcard I believe... because if I send it anything over 0 I believe it always clips.  So I am using brutefir's peak output to make sure its below, I just don't want to loose quality in the files because of my own paranoia ... =)

*Off Topic* Can anyone recommend a high quality audio card that is compatible with linux very well?? Good dac being the primary objective.

At the moment, with the file you gave me I need to attenuate each of my 4 filters 8 decibels.  I am having the left stereo channel filtered twice and the right filtered twice, and output to two channels.  Does 10 decibels sound right?  For some reason I have some music files that my 0404 says don't clip, only reach 0 but that whitenoise for example is always about 2 decibels shy of zero when I attenuate to that music.  Turns out around 10. 

Thanks for the help!