Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: [feat request] Foobar menu a toggleable toolbar element (Read 6899 times) previous topic - next topic

[feat request] Foobar menu a toggleable toolbar element

Title says it all - like many other programs, foobar's defaultui menu could be toggleable, and moved on the like seekbar, volume etc. Such way, with the new layout editing, the whole window could be redrawn, including the top toolbar.

Of course, question comes up, how to access the controls when the user toggles all the menu away. Two methods here: either insert a 'preferences' item in the tray area context menu, or there should be a restriction to have at least one 'menu' item present (on one of the toolbars).

I understand that this change would be complete with a configurable menu (toggleable menu items/groups) but that would be a song of the future, I imagine.

(I really believe that the easy and robust customization of default UI is propably the most important step for foobar to be more user friendly. Hooray for the layout editing mode)

Reply #1
I don't know of anyone who has ever wanted to have the menu bar at any other place, except the top default position. Preferences in tray menu fails when user doesn't have tray icon enabled (like me).

Reply #2
I don't know of anyone who has ever wanted to have the menu bar at any other place, except the top default position.

Well now you do. I personally have made the vast majority of functions accessible from the main menu that I frequently use into individual buttons on my build, and don't use the menu bar at all...for the most part. Every now and again I use it, but not enough in my mind to justify it using up space on my build, and instead launch it as a dockable panel. If there were a more elegant solution that would be great.

Reply #3
On one hand, on the long run, it would be more flexible to have a - later maybe configurable - moveable menu instead of an oldscool, top-placed static one. Also, if that's the intention in the future (of development), it would be a step to allow to configure/skin the whole of defaultui's interface.

tray menu fails when user doesn't have tray icon enabled (like me)

Sorry, used the wrong word: I meant the taskbar strip of foobar (either that, or the tray icon is always visible)

Re: [feat request] Foobar menu a toggleable toolbar element

Reply #4
In most other software, especially media players, I just use the "alt" button on the keyboard to toggle the menu bar.  I find this way more ergonomic.  Having this option actually did cross my mind as well.

Reply #5
Do you realize that this thread is 9 years old?

Reply #6
Do you realize that this thread is 9 years old?
Yes.  I came to it from the "Known issues in 1.1.17 and feature proposals" sticky which linked this as a feature which won't be implemented.  Would it have made more sense for me to start a new topic in order to chime in on a topic/thread already recognized as dealing with the request? (genuine question)

Reply #7
Either way, it still brings the same topic to the forefront. It's probably not any more likely to be amended now, unless you have any specific code examples highlighted to show how to call forth the menu bar with the Alt key, unless maybe it would be a better idea with a hidden menu to call it forth as a popup menu with all the main menu entries as submenus.

And either way, it looks like development is not moving so swiftly, but I've been out of touch with the development discussion, so don't mind me.

Reply #8
Either way, it still brings the same topic to the forefront. It's probably not any more likely to be amended now, unless you have any specific code examples highlighted to show how to call forth the menu bar with the Alt key, unless maybe it would be a better idea with a hidden menu to call it forth as a popup menu with all the main menu entries as submenus.

And either way, it looks like development is not moving so swiftly, but I've been out of touch with the development discussion, so don't mind me.

Well, these are precisely the things for the devs to work out if they were to somehow pursue this.  I'm not a developer so I wouldn't know how.  My contribution was simply to suggest how this could be implemented and how it's otherwise nice in other software to be able to hide/show the menu bar by toggling it with "alt".  You can see an example of this even in Firefox, though obviously it would work differently in Foobar.

I didn't really see a discussion on this topic so if what you're saying was the case, I'd be curious to hear the actual reason(s) why this idea was dismissed.  I thought perhaps it wasn't anything technical but rather, in consideration of such a feature, was thought not to serve any purpose or have any value.