Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: error opening AAC m4a file (Read 4154 times) previous topic - next topic

error opening AAC m4a file

I added my AAC folder which contains all QT/iTunes encoded files to my foobar 0.7.4 playlist, but I get an error on one track (out of 971). Below is the foobar console message:

INFO (CORE) : startup time: 571 ms
ERROR (foo_mp4) : Failed to open MP4 file.
INFO (CORE) : opening file for playback :
INFO (CORE) : location: "file://C:\music\AAC\AC_DC\Flick Of The Switch\04 - Nervous Shakedown.m4a" (0)
ERROR (foo_mp4) : Failed to open MP4 file.
ERROR (CORE) : error opening file for playback :
INFO (CORE) : location: "file://C:\music\AAC\AC_DC\Flick Of The Switch\04 - Nervous Shakedown.m4a" (0)

I have a FLAC of the original, so I decoded the FLAC to WAV, WaveGained it using dither / light noise shaping and then re-encoded it in iTunes 4.1.1.54. I then replaced the older file with the new one and foobar still has problems with it. The track shows in my playlist but the tags are obviously empty (no info) and the format is listed as M4A, instead of AAC as the rest.

I don't get it, all other tracks are created in an identical way, what is wrong with this one track?

Reply #1
Can you upload the broken file somewhere?

Menno

Reply #2
You can find it here:

http://cbope.astnetworks.net/files/bad_aac.rar

About the only thing I didn't try was to re-rip from the source CD. I haven't tried that yet because I can't imagine that my FLAC would be damaged or in some way unusable for dumping to WAV before re-encoding. And there were no signs of any problems when I re-encoded. Very strange.

TIA

EDIT: I took the file offline since Menno has downloaded it. If anyone else wants it, let me know.

Reply #3
Ok, tried the file and it indeed gives an error on all players based on the mpeg4ip file library. On the command line faad2 it works fine.

I'll try to find the exact cause of this problem.

Menno

Reply #4
Menno, any news?

Reply #5
Yes, we added a totally new MP4 file library for foo_mp4. Expect some new compiles soon.

Menno

Reply #6
There's new foo_mp4 waiting here.

Reply #7
Menno and Case, thanks. Works great now.

What was the problem in the old dll?