Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Text Display (foo_textdisplay) (Read 219104 times) previous topic - next topic

Text Display (foo_textdisplay)

Reply #101
Oh nevermind, woops. I'm using Columns UI.

I'm looking for a way to display a song's lyrics from a file tag in foobar.

Reply #102
columns UI has an "item details" panel built in. any more questions about that should go in the relevant thread.

Reply #103
This component bursts much resources when scrolling unwrapped text (regular text in tag field without title formatting)

Reply #105
This component bursts much resources when scrolling unwrapped text (regular text in tag field without title formatting)
Let me ask you a few question so I'm sure what you mean. Do you use a tag with a lot of text in it (something like %biography% or %lyrics%)? Are you referring to CPU usage or some other resource?

If this is only a performance problem, I'll look at it when I rewrite the text rendering routines in version 1.2.

Reply #106
I don't have same PC right now, and IIRC it was like this:
- arbitrary text was in one line (so Text Display has to wrap it)
- whole text displayed was larger then Text Display UI element
- when scrolling with slider CPU peak was quite noticeable (procexp in tray)

Reply #107
Hi foosion, nice to see more work being done on this excellent component. However there does seem to be one regression in 1.1b1 for me: the way newlines are handled. I use the component to display lyrics embedded in file tags, and many of these lyrics are broken up into paragraphs/sections split up by a blank line. The blank lines are no longer properly displayed. The same issue results in multiple $crlf() lines in the "Format" field being treated as just one. Here is an image showing difference between embedded lyrics and displayed ones. Hope to see this fixed, thank you

Reply #108
Thanks for the report! Come to think of it, I noticed this behaviour myself, but didn't realize it was a regression.

Reply #109
Hello foosion, thanks for the new version! The bug i mentioned in an earlier post disappeared. 

I have two general requests for the component.

1. The first one is actually one i already phrased here in the thread. I have a textdisplay with "prefer playing track" that shows me in big letters infos about the playing track and special dynamic playback fields like remainig time. The other panels with deselected "prefer playing track" i have placed in a tab container with selection info and album art viewer: these ui-elements show me the lyrics or other stuff. I used to switch from time to time in foobar2000 preferences under display the two sources - depending if i am more in a work or in a listen mode. Now i would like that these textdisplay ui-elements as a selection viewer would respect these global options for that type of ui-elements so that all my selection viewers in the tab container show the same source and i don't have to care about textdisplay additionally. 

2. Textdisplay shows the first track of a selection. Therefore it is  missing the intelligence of selection info viewer that is able to show senseful information about multiple selections of more than track. What i would like to do is following for example: when i select in album list an artist then i would like to see f.e. a list with all albums of this artist instead of only the name  of  just the first tracks album. Or when i select a whole album i would like to see all lyrics. Or a list of artists each with a link to google. And so on. That would require the entry of a grouping pattern. For me it would be enough if the group pattern is valid for a whole textdisplay - different groupings inside one textdisplay might be exaggerative and probably needless. I hope that request makes sense for you.

Reply #110
The bug i mentioned in an earlier post disappeared.
Unfortunately I have no idea which bug you mean. I guess I'll have to re-read the thread some time.

1. This sounds like a valid request to me. I've put in unto the to-do list, but I have not yet decided when to implement it.

2. This sounds like a sensible feature to have. At the moment I have no idea how to include it in a way that is both easy to implement and easy to use. It will have to wait until inspiration hits me.

Reply #111
Nice to hear that! 

Could you give an example for userdefined command ids which are mentioned in the changelog?

Reply #112
You must mean the road map. If it was in the change log, it would have been implemented already.

At the moment you can only use the pre-defined command IDs which are just the standard commands defined in the foobar2000 SDK. Obviously they do not include any menu commands from third-party plugins. The plan is to let the user pick any ID they like, for example:
Code: [Select]
$cmdlink(Run my favourite command,fav-cmd)
The user could then choose a menu command that is associated with the ID "fav-cmd".

I have chosen this way because the display name of a menu command does not need to be unique. It can even change depending on the context where the command is used. On the other hand the unique IDs that are internally assigned to every menu command are definitely not human-readable and I don't want to bother users with them.

Reply #113
Oh yes, it was indeed the roadmap. I was confused because of same version number. Sorry!

Reply #114
At the moment I have no idea how to include it in a way that is both easy to implement and easy to use. It will have to wait until inspiration hits me.
I can't impossibly say how it is easy to implement, but maybe i can give you an inspiration how it would be easy to use. What do you think about following possible concept?
  • A field in format tab for the grouping pattern.
  • Furthermore a text box for the actual content that should be displayed. Naturally there is no other way than to pick from each group one track from which the info is taken.
  • At last a textbox for optional grouping header.
  • An option in advanced preferences that in case of no grouping and coincidental multiple selection a simple "multiple items" is shown rather than content of selections first item.
So lets say we like to show the reviews of all selected albums so these would be the input:
[blockquote]grouping pattern: %album%
text: %album review%
grouping header: %album artist% - %album% ['('%date%')']
[/blockquote]
I also had some other ideas that also would allow more differentiated text layout (f.e. diferent grouping sections inside one textdisplay) but the idea above so far was the only one that seemed to be "easy to use".

Reply #115
Great to see support for links! I was just looking for something like that. Comes in handy for linking booklets in pdf format. Also google search links for artists, composer, work etc. is now possible.

So, I've played around a bit with it and found some strange behaviour (bug?). If I don't have just one link per line [i.e. end the line with $crlf()] the link does not work. For example if I would like to have a line with 2 separate links like:

%album artist% - %album% => e.g. ABBA - Number Ones (as 2 separate links)

So I would write:

$doclink(%album artist%,'http://www.google.com/search?q='$urlencode(%album artist%)) - $doclink(%album%,'http://www.google.com/search?q='$urlencode(%album%))$crlf()

This would result in:

{{doc|ABBA|http://www.google.com/search?q=ABBA}} - {{doc|Number Ones|http://www.google.com/search?q=Number%20Ones}}

in the text field. Only if I do:

$doclink(%album artist%,'http://www.google.com/search?q='$urlencode(%album artist%))$crlf()
$doclink(%album%,'http://www.google.com/search?q='$urlencode(%album%))$crlf()

I'll get

ABBA
Number Ones

as links. From playing around a bit more it seems that immediately before and after $doclink there needs to be a $crlf() function. Is this the correct desired behaviour or am I doing something wrong?

Also is it possible to remove the underline formatting for links? I'm personally not a huge fan of this link format.

Making the Text Display Settings screen resizable would be great - especially having the possibility to make it wider would be great if one has code lines that are a bit lengthy.

I saw that the option to remove the confirmation dialogue is on the roadmap. Would be nice to have .

Reply #116
From playing around a bit more it seems that immediately before and after $doclink there needs to be a $crlf() function. Is this the correct desired behaviour or am I doing something wrong?
You aren't doing anything wrong and it is also not the desired behaviour. It is a restriction of my text rendering routines that I plan to remove in version 1.2. You'll have to live with it for now.

Also is it possible to remove the underline formatting for links? I'm personally not a huge fan of this link format.
I'll consider it.

Making the Text Display Settings screen resizable would be great - especially having the possibility to make it wider would be great if one has code lines that are a bit lengthy.
It's not called out on the road map, but it's on my to-do. Probably for version 1.1.x.

I'll be away for a few days, but don't hesitate to give feedback or report issues!

Reply #117
It would be nice to use icons for links additional to or instead of text.

Reply #118
Am using Text Display since 0.9.6.8 for what seems like years now (for displaying lyrics, comments, and track info) and certainly consider it a must-have foobar component. Dear foosion, thank you for your plugins, please, keep on doing this great job.

As a fan of digital LED displays and stuff I wonder if you could possibly implement 'marquee' (or what we call 'a running line' in .ru) in Text Display, that is vertical and horizontal text scrolling? First, it somehow fits the laconic (but pleasantly flexible) concept of the component, second, it would provide much more ergonomic (due to small size of marquee) layout solutions, and third, free positioning of scrolling tag info is something foobar & Co(mponents) still lack, as far as I feel.

Reply #119
I'm aware this is only semi-related to the topic, but does anyone know if there's an equivalent "text display" component/panel for Columns UI?  I realize it already has "Item properties" and "Item details".

Reply #120
Could anyone suggest a proper foobar syntax to skip all brackets like these:

[00:07.78]Album: A Saurceful Of Secrets
[00:11.46]Title: Corporal Clegg
[00:13.70]Corporal Clegg had a wooden leg
[00:21.90]He won it in the war, in 1944.
[00:29.55]Corporal Clegg had a medal too
[00:37.08]In orange, red, and blue
[00:41.44]He found it in the zoo.

to display synced lyrics with Text Display without extra time stamps and stuff?

Or could such skipping rules be added to Text Display's own functionality?

Reply #121
When displaying a tag with multiple paragraphs with line breaks in between paragraphs, the textdisplay panel doesn't render the line break.  Is there something I'm missing?

Reply #122
When displaying a tag with multiple paragraphs with line breaks in between paragraphs, the textdisplay panel doesn't render the line break.  Is there something I'm missing?

Read up about 10 or 15 posts...

Reply #123
I want to highlight part of the field. I. e. Warning (Aynsley Dunbar Retaliation cover). So I use the following string:

$replace(%title%,'(',>>>'(',')',<<<')')

But in foo_textdisplay it looks like Warning >>>(Aynsley Dunbar Retaliation cover)<<<.

Reply #124
The current version cannot mix multiple display styles in one paragraph. I already mentioned this when I announced the new version.