Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: What's the acceptable speech codec speed on PC? (Read 4544 times) previous topic - next topic

What's the acceptable speech codec speed on PC?

Hi,
If I wanted to implement some speech codec (Speex for example) in a VOIP application that would run on a standard PC Intel Pentium processor 1.5 - 2.5 GHz, what would be the speech encoder speed that would be satisfactory? What is Speex ENcoder speed right now (how many seconds of speech can it encode in one second of time)?
Thanx...

Reply #1
If I wanted to implement some speech codec (Speex for example) in a VOIP application that would run on a standard PC Intel Pentium processor 1.5 - 2.5 GHz, what would be the speech encoder speed that would be satisfactory? What is Speex ENcoder speed right now (how many seconds of speech can it encode in one second of time)?

If you have a 1.5-2.5 GHz CPU, speed won't be an issue. In the case of Speex, you can encode between in the order of 30 to 100 seconds of speech in one second (at 8 kHz).

Reply #2
Jean-Marc,
Could you just briefly compare algorithmical complexity difference between Speex and AMR-WB? In other words, which one is more demanding from implementers point of view?

Reply #3
Could you just briefly compare algorithmical complexity difference between Speex and AMR-WB? In other words, which one is more demanding from implementers point of view?

I think both are in the same order of magnitude wrt complexity. It's hard to say more since 1) I don't know AMR-WB enough 2) The complexity varies as a function of bit-rate 3) Speex has variable complexity (you can change the quality/complexity tradeoff). For wideband, I think the Speex complexity will usually be in the 20-50 mflops range (depending on bit-rate and complexity setting).