Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Audiophile USB (Read 3656 times) previous topic - next topic

Audiophile USB

Hi there,

I'm new to the site so I'll take the chance to say hi and tell you that you have a great forum here, I'm a musician and producer, but since I'm new to producing I'm still learning and I just bought Audiophile USB from M-Audio to my portable needs, but after installing everything I have no output, I can't listen to anything from my normal PC speakers, I wonder if this is normal, because when I enter the sound settings from the control panel it's all blocked, and nothing changes if I set my regular audio card to do the sound output, and if I set it to audiophile nothing happens either

can anyone help me? I will be pleased to give you more details if are needed

Thanks in advance!
-- JB

Audiophile USB

Reply #1
With the audiophile USB plugged in, this becomes your soundcard. So by default you shouldn't hear anything from your regular computer speakers (as they are connected to the internal soundcard, which is now off). You should now send the signal from the Audiophile USB out to either a preamp/amp or powered speakers.

Do you have the audiophile USB connected to something that eventually plays an analog signal?

Hi there,

I'm new to the site so I'll take the chance to say hi and tell you that you have a great forum here, I'm a musician and producer, but since I'm new to producing I'm still learning and I just bought Audiophile USB from M-Audio to my portable needs, but after installing everything I have no output, I can't listen to anything from my normal PC speakers, I wonder if this is normal, because when I enter the sound settings from the control panel it's all blocked, and nothing changes if I set my regular audio card to do the sound output, and if I set it to audiophile nothing happens either

can anyone help me? I will be pleased to give you more details if are needed

Thanks in advance!
-- JB

Audiophile USB

Reply #2
I tried yesterday to set it up and I couldn't, and I'm thinking that you are right and that's the solution to the problem. I'll try that later today and let you know, currently there's nothing plugged into the audiophile, but after I installed the editing software I couldn't hear the demo session that it has built-in, that's why I was asking.

Thanks!
--JB

Audiophile USB

Reply #3
plug some headphones into your audiophile maybe to test it. if you dont have it plugged into anything.....yea its probably not going to make noise.

i have a firewire audiophile and have been very happy with it. maybe i can help with this one then...not sure how similar they are.

i know on mine its pretty simple, within each program i route whether i want audio to go to my audiophile or my default device (my laptop speakers). i havent had a problem with it to tell you the truth.

Audiophile USB

Reply #4
Alright, I tested a lot of configurations and I could got some sounds of it yesterday, because the other problem I had is that I don't use the software that the card brought (live lite) I use Cool Edit Pro (aka Adobe Audition), and since I never changed the configuration of the sound card I had to reset every setting there

my new problem is that when I plug my marshall everything is fine and I got a great signal on CEP but I can't listen anything until I hit stop and play it back, and when I am on session or edit view I got no problem to listening to this, is there a way to fix this? and when I plug my microphone I can't get a decent signal is to weak to use it,  I wonder if I need some kind of power or amplification for my mic signal before it gets to the audiophile. Currently the mic is only plugged to a dbx compressor.

on a side note the audiophile firewire is exactly the same, the only difference is that the USB version uses its own power outlet and the firewire version gets the energy through your firewire port.

Audiophile USB

Reply #5
USB, not being on the computer, cannot monitor in the same way as PCI and built-in audio. There is often a direct monitor switch on the box to output the current input signal to the headphones out so you can listen to what you are recording. People who need normal monitoring facilities use an external mixer to combine on-computer playback with the new input. I'm not up on how one deals with latency problems.

Microphones need a microphone preamp. That device has none. Your microphone needs to go through a microphone preamplifier which plugs into the line-in of the soundcard.

Audiophile USB

Reply #6
Do you have any recommendation on mic preamplifier, I would like to get something decent but I don't have much money.

Audiophile USB

Reply #7
I have direct experience with only one and it is no longer in production. There are many, however, and yours is an exceedingly common request, so you should be able to search out down many opinions.

I suggest looking at small mixers with microphone preamp(s) built in. That way you would get the preamp you need and the ability to monitor your new tracks going in, mixed with already recorded stuff from the computer.
Aside from that, M-Audio has some inexpensive preamps, such as their Audio Buddy that, which while not top-of-the-line, are widely used.

A fair number of professionals frequent this site. There is probably much to be picked up with a search, and new questions are usually treated well.
http://www.audiomastersforum.net/

Audiophile USB

Reply #8
Thanks a lot, I was thinking also about getting a small mixer, I check some while I was searching for the audiophile, I'll try to find a nice mixer, and maybe start a thread about some options, so you could make some recomendations

thanks

--JB