Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Foobar2000 audio player info (Read 95928 times) previous topic - next topic

Foobar2000 audio player info

Reply #225
Do you have hardware mixing enabled?
(All other players use software mixing,
if disabling it helps then you have broken soundcard drivers)
Also you may want to check new 'kernel streaming' driver to see if it helps...

I will check this out.  While I am doing that, explain why this would only affect foobar and not affect RealAudi or WinMedia Player.  Maybe those two have access to calls that foobar does not?  Could be.  If that is so, foobar is limited from the start, unless it can unlock the undocumented calls, which are not supposed to exist in Windows any more.

No, I do not have hardware mixing enabled.

How do I check the new kernel streaming driver?  I am using the 0.43 release but this problem has been a constant since when I first used this software, release 0.39.  BTW - have you listened for this?    Just checking as this is very easily reproduceable.  All you need is ears.  CoolEdit is a great help to "see" the noisy playback, though. 

L8R
Nov schmoz kapop.

Reply #226
Do you have hardware mixing enabled?
(All other players use software mixing,
if disabling it helps then you have broken soundcard drivers)
Also you may want to check new 'kernel streaming' driver to see if it helps...

I will check this out.  No, I do not have hardware mixing enabled.

Bedeox, et al -

OK, rechecked the "preferences" and under DirectSound set the driver to the PC's sound card (SigmaTel) from "primary sound driver" which fixed the problem.  I am guessing, but would think that RP and WM worked because they use their own drivers which would override whatever whad been causing the problem for foobar.

It works great now!  The "tweaking" neccessary was on my PC.  Paul, five stars.  Nice piece of code.  I have begun clearing out players from my PC.  When foobar can read RM and MP3plus and CD's it will be my sole player.

Thanks, again, Bedeox for pointing me in the right direction.

L8R 
Nov schmoz kapop.

Reply #227
Hello all

Great work zZzZzZz. Searching for player as your for a long time. And I'm very happy with CUE sheet support.
I have some suggestions for foobar2000 (at least from my point of view)   

1) Conditional way of playing CUE lists
Explanation: I have many albums in MP3 (one file of course)+CUE format. When I play it straigh forward (no shuffle), I noticed, that playing next track after current one means whole new seek in MP3 and that means no continuous play but skipping some part of music or playing one part two times (according to precission of position jump in VBR MP3 file).
Solution:If Foobar2000 is playing track inside one file and using CUE sheet for positions AND if Foobar is playing tracks in order without user intervention, play that big file and use CUE sheet only for display. If user interacts with player (ie. wants to skip track, change track etc.), let player work the curent way

2) Exact position inside VBR file according to CUE sheet
Explanation:Jumping to position inside big MP3 file readed form CUE sheet isn't precise. I know it is because of nature of VBR - no one knows which byte is what position unless VBR file is decoded up to that point.
Solution:Use internal database, which will be build from playing songs. You already have some internal database stored in Foobar2000 folder, so increase it a little. I think about that: When user plays CUE+VBR MP3 combo for the first time start second decoding thread in background. Let that thread decode whole file at maximum speed it can reach but using low priority. If user switches tracks so he wants to listen different VBR+CUE combo, switch that thread too but save actual result for previous track.
Let that background thread store real byte position inside MP3 file to table like  CUE shee pos - byte pos for each file. When playing that file for the second time, seeking would be exact. And let there be the choice in preferences to turn that backgroung thread alone for whole collection.

3)Seeking slider
Make it easy way for easier implementation - just use Start of file=start of slider, End of file= end of slider interval and let users seek by that slider.
If there is that database as I wrote in previous point, you can use intervals from database - there are some sorts of "Key points" so seeking would be more precise

4) Adding to playlist with CUE sheet working unexpected
Explanation:I have my collection in one dir named Music, the subdirs with names of Authors and inside those subdirs, there are VBR MP3 files named by Album + CUE sheet for eaxh album - so one album= one VBR mp3 file + one CUE sheet. When I use Add Directory and point to whole Music dir, in every subdirs first CUE sheet is added and then MP3 but it is same album just shown as one track in Foobar2000 playlist. So I can see for example 9 tracks (with info read from CUE sheet) of Album Prophecy and then I can see one file Prophecy.
Playing that playlist will result in playing same album 2 times.
Solution:When adding directories and there is CUE file present, don't add MP3 file pointed by that CUE sheet too. And better make that function turnable in preferences - like if you want to add that pointed file added or not.

5) Possbible error in Changing file info
I don't know if it is error or not, but I tried to change file info (by rightclicking file). All time I got error message (Error writing info or something like that) on first file. On next files I got info about busy file and queing action.
But changing multiple files at once didn't worked at all - error message.

Can remember anything else atm. Take that as suggestions please. Dont' count it as I'm unhappy with that player - I love it. Best player I have tried, low resources, low memory usage, not "starting - please wait half hour" winamp function 
Keep that work
Jan

Reply #228
i've found a bug, i guess. on repeat mode, the 'last modified' date of the last track on playlist is changed to current date.

Reply #229
I would like to see the "Override foreground colors on selection" option.

Reply #230
i've found a bug, i guess. on repeat mode, the 'last modified' date of the last track on playlist is changed to current date.

Can't reproduce.

Reply #231
Can you make it better sound? actually, which mp3 player is the best now? I dont want use winamp3 , waste me so much memory..........

and the foobar2000 is too simply~~!~~     

Reply #232
Like a detergent tv ad we had in spain...
Look, try, if you find anything better just BUY IT! 

Reply #233
It would be very nice to have a bookmarking function. This would be useful when listening to long audiobooks.

Reply #234
I'm very happy with CUE sheet support.

1) Conditional way of playing CUE lists
2) Exact position inside VBR file according to CUE sheet
3)Seeking slider
4) Adding to playlist with CUE sheet working unexpected

I'm very happy too with this cue-mp3 feature!

And I have almost the same comments as khostri about it.

1) Don't re-search to position if shuffle is disabled shouldn't be too hard to implement, and it would be a great difference!
2) Exact position-thing: seems a little too complicated to implement for what it's worth
3) Seeking slider: how many people asked for this yet  ?
4) No entry for the complete-mp3 when adding mp3+cue: for now, please let it be there. If the first problem is solved, then they can be left out, but for now it's the only way to play a complete album without the re-searching skips.

[edit]I have an other issue with this:
5) When sorting the playlist by path-filename, the sub-songs are sorted by index like in explorer (1-10-11-12-...-19-2-20-...).[/edit]

All-in-all a very great player!

I would convert my id3v2 tags to ape2 because of this player, but I guess my hardware mp3-player won't recognize them, so I don't 

PJay

Reply #235
I would convert my id3v2 tags to ape2 because of this player, but I guess my hardware mp3-player won't recognize them, so I don't 

You don't have to completely convert the id3v2 tags to apev2. You can have them both used at the same time  Or at least I use them both at the same time. The only problem I've encountered, is the fact, that it's nearly impossible to keep them both synced. It would be SO great to have a better prog than Tag/Tagger. Tagger is ok, but imho it isn't very nice prog to use... Don't know why, maybe it's just that I'm used to MP3/Tag Studio.

Reply #236
MIght want to take the Foobar description out of the first post in this thread as it will just continue to get out of date as it is now. 

Reply #237
I think it would be nice to have a clipping indicator. Ideally, it would show the nº of clipped and max. consecutive clipped samples for every song. Ideally, I mean