Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: M-Audio USB Audiophile & ASIO (Read 5653 times) previous topic - next topic

M-Audio USB Audiophile & ASIO

Hi,

I recently purchased a m-Audio USB Audiophile but I'm running into some problems.  I downloaded the Winamp ASIO Driver from Otachan, and installed that. I open Winamp, and select the ASIO plug-in for my output.  I click play, and the timer runs, I get no errors, but no sound comes from my speakers. (I have the Audiophile running via SPDIF cable to my Yamaha receiver. )

Any ideas?

Reply #1
I think the ASIO plug-in is only used to produce analogue sound, the digital output is not affected by it. Through the digital out, the Audiophile USB  is not affected by Windows resampling.
Without wanting to sound patronising, you have checked SPDIF output as an active channel in the M-Audio control panel, haven't you?

Reply #2
Haha, no worries. You have to account for every possible situation because there are always some people who'll not do the obvious things.

But yes, it is checked off. So let me get this straight. ASIO is meant for analogue out. Since I am using SPDIF though, the data avoids getting resampled anyway? So essentially ASIO would be pointless for a digital out?

Thanks.

Reply #3
I am not sure that's quite right. I was using ASIO (before I upgraded to the Audiophile 2496, but that's another story) with my onboard codec and using the SPDIF output with no problems as far as ASIO was concerned. I have also used the M-Audio USB Transit with ASIO and spdif output and this allowed me to successfully send and decode HDCD encoded PCM with my external DAC.

Using direct sound, waveout and similar in QCD/Winamp/Foo has not allowed me to successfully decode HDCD material except as standard 16 bit pcm so far. Not certain of the cause but the HDCD encoding is lost when the data is deliberately resampled.

Kevin

Haha, no worries. You have to account for every possible situation because there are always some people who'll not do the obvious things.

But yes, it is checked off. So let me get this straight. ASIO is meant for analogue out. Since I am using SPDIF though, the data avoids getting resampled anyway? So essentially ASIO would be pointless for a digital out?

Thanks.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=232950"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Reply #4
Same problem on Audiophile 2496 (PCI) resolved:

I exactly had the same problem with my pci audiophile 2496. The resolution was not obvious but proved simple in the end. Go the the ASIO plugin in winamp, take a look at the output channel selected. It will probably be set to "0" in my case changing it to "2" redirected the asio output to the Audiophile's WavOut S/PDIF in the mixer/monitor and also in the Patchbay/Router. Go to Patchbay/Router and select WavOut S/PDIF in HW Out S/DIF and you should be done.

Note that I am not familiar with your card's interface software so that number "2" might be slightly different. (Basically that option offsets the output channels, but probably the number you need should be even, just try until you get the right offset.)

Hope this helps..

M-Audio was not able to tell me this incidentally.. I had to figure it out for myself. I was really sweating it for a while there.

Edit to make offsetting asio output channels clearer? Not sure I described it all that accurately or well.

I am not sure that's quite right. I was using ASIO (before I upgraded to the Audiophile 2496, but that's another story) with my onboard codec and using the SPDIF output with no problems as far as ASIO was concerned. I have also used the M-Audio USB Transit with ASIO and spdif output and this allowed me to successfully send and decode HDCD encoded PCM with my external DAC.

Using direct sound, waveout and similar in QCD/Winamp/Foo has not allowed me to successfully decode HDCD material except as standard 16 bit pcm so far. Not certain of the cause but the HDCD encoding is lost when the data is deliberately resampled.

Kevin

Thanks
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=232950"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=322596"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]