Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Foobar suddenly no longer will read any CD, on any disc drive (Read 2596 times) previous topic - next topic

Foobar suddenly no longer will read any CD, on any disc drive

I am pulling my hair out here. I have been troubleshooting for hours with zero progress, and nothing to explain this sudden behavior. It started last week, but I only just looked at it today- might be tied into a Windows update, but the most recent one seemed to have helpfully wiped out my update history, so I am unable to identify and roll back. I am on Windows 10, latest 1809 build. The two players I am trying are an old internal LG WH10LS30 Blu-Ray rewritable and an external LG GP50 DVD-RW.

Trying to open a CD within Foobar results in:

"Could not access any of found CD drives.

Please shut down any other software possibly locking your CD drive."

Trying to open a single song off of a CD results in:

"Unable to open item for playback (Disc not available):
"cdda://00C34576,01""

If I add to playlist, the track has ? for Artist and Album, Title is a string of characters as above.

Trying to auto play the CD from Explorer, Foobar opens and nothing happens

Every other media player works with zero issue; VLC, MS Media Player, Groove.

I am logged in as an admin, running foobar as an admin.

I have reinstalled multiple times, tried the latest version as well as previous version. I also tried the version from Windows Store.

Tried uninstalling/ reinstalling the drives in Device manager, as well as my SATA controller.

Also tried a fresh Foobar profile, and cleared out my temp folder for good measure.

Obviously, many system reboots.

What am I missing here??

Re: Foobar suddenly no longer will read any CD, on any disc drive

Reply #1
FOUND IT!

I finally got a lead on this when I tried to install the Foobar light version, which wants to install to the user folder. No dice, even when running as an admin. It would install to Program Files, however. Odd.

I resynced my permissions on user directory, as well as ran sfc and dism scans. Zero issues. Started to Google around, and I found it; In Windows Security Center under Device Performance and Health is "Ransomware protection" Turned on, it is silent and doesn't generate notification when it takes action. Turned it off, Foobar worked fine. Turned it back on, added Foobar as an exception, worked fine.

That was a wasted day of troubleshooting, but I hope this might help someone else (I imagine this issue can affect many apps other than Foobar as well.)

Reply #2
I confirm this solution worked for me.  Thank you. 

Reply #3
Hi,

Apologies for "reopening" this old thread, especially being it my first post. But I really needed to come in and thank the OP for finding this solution, it had me absolutely blocked and I found no other similar topic in other forums. This has saved me soooo much time.

Also, I want to add that this same issue will also stop you from being able to modify metadata tags with TagBox plugin for Foobar. Once you add the exception in the Windows Security Centre it will work like a charm.

Thanks!!