Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: 1st ipod, best way to convert FLACs to AAC (Read 18301 times) previous topic - next topic

1st ipod, best way to convert FLACs to AAC

Reply #25
I also recommend MediaMonkey. There's already a plugin which supports the new classics with all album art etc. Alter the auto-convert-when-synching would be useful for you.

Reply #26
Judging from some dated listening tests, one isn't better than the other and they should both provide you the same quality.  I do know that some people believe the Nero AAC encoder can achieve better VBR results than the iTunes AAC encoder at respective bitrates.

I'm currently running a personnal listening test which should give me, and maybe to some other people, some fresh elements on that subject. The test will end in ~15 days. Stay connected
Wavpack Hybrid: one encoder for all scenarios
WavPack -c4.5hx6 (44100Hz & 48000Hz) ≈ 390 kbps + correction file
WavPack -c4hx6 (96000Hz) ≈ 768 kbps + correction file
WavPack -h (SACD & DSD) ≈ 2400 kbps at 2.8224 MHz

Reply #27
Well, guruboolez, I'm very interested if you can add latest CT's aac encoder in your listening test. The encoder bundled within winamp latest Beta is 8.1.0.

Your result is always worth waiting and I'll keep an eye on it.

Reply #28
Your Vorbis files aren't useless if you put Rockbox on your iPod. That's what I'd do anyway, since then you'd get a lot of the nice features the Rio Karma had.

I think it is highly unlikely that Rockbox would work on an iPod Classic at the moment, since the model is so new and key parts of the hardware and such might have changed. I would guess that we would need to wait a little while before that one is at least partially supported.
Rockbox doesn't even fully support later iPod versions than Gen 3 if I remember correctly.
Did you actually get Rockbox or iPod-Linux to work on a Classic? Please let me know and any tips thrown my way would be greatly appreciated, I'm interested on trying it on my iPod Video (2nd rev.).

Reply #29
Egor, what bitrate is the resulting file? Also, how does the Nero AAC encoder differ from the Itunes encoder? Is one better than the other?

parameters: -q 0.50 -lc -ignorelength -if - -of %d

With the current version (1.1.34.2) it will result in approximately 175 kbps AAC-LC files (still, it is quality-driven). For me, the Nero encoder is better, because it's
- free and lightweight,
- fast
- and produces high quality standards-compliant AAC audio.

One can also use multiple instances of encoder on multi CPU systems, e.g., foobar2000 can take advantage of it. Last time I checked, you couldn't do the same with iTunes command line frontend (iTunesEncode.exe).

Reply #30
Well, guruboolez, I'm very interested if you can add latest CT's aac encoder in your listening test.

The test has begun (last sunday) and I can't change any setting now.

... but Coding Technologies (Winamp 5.5 beta) is one of my choosen competitor
Wavpack Hybrid: one encoder for all scenarios
WavPack -c4.5hx6 (44100Hz & 48000Hz) ≈ 390 kbps + correction file
WavPack -c4hx6 (96000Hz) ≈ 768 kbps + correction file
WavPack -h (SACD & DSD) ≈ 2400 kbps at 2.8224 MHz

Reply #31

Your Vorbis files aren't useless if you put Rockbox on your iPod. That's what I'd do anyway, since then you'd get a lot of the nice features the Rio Karma had.

I think it is highly unlikely that Rockbox would work on an iPod Classic at the moment, since the model is so new and key parts of the hardware and such might have changed. I would guess that we would need to wait a little while before that one is at least partially supported.
Rockbox doesn't even fully support later iPod versions than Gen 3 if I remember correctly.
Did you actually get Rockbox or iPod-Linux to work on a Classic? Please let me know and any tips thrown my way would be greatly appreciated, I'm interested on trying it on my iPod Video (2nd rev.).

Apparently the latest Classics use strongly encrypted firmware which makes it extremely unlikely if not impossible that Rockbox will work on them in the near future.

The Ipod video 30/80GB works great though, I have rockbox on mine and I love it :-)

Sam

Reply #32
Not trying to be cute here I promise... you should seriously consider doing this from the command line. By the time you pick a frontend and get it configured the way you want you could have a one-liner written and the transcoding done in nix or even windows. Multithreading would be as easy as arbitrarily dividing your share and starting a thread for each subsection.
Medium Pimpin...

Reply #33
Not trying to be cute here I promise... you should seriously consider doing this from the command line. By the time you pick a frontend and get it configured the way you want you could have a one-liner written and the transcoding done in nix or even windows. Multithreading would be as easy as arbitrarily dividing your share and starting a thread for each subsection.

With all due respect for your method, "arbitrarily dividing your share and starting a thread for each subsection" is a lot harder than, in foobar, adding all the flac files to a playlist, selecting them all, right clicking the selection, and clicking convert to->aac and letting it multithread automatically