Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: abcde: rip & encode to ogg & single file flac with cuesheet? (Read 3715 times) previous topic - next topic

abcde: rip & encode to ogg & single file flac with cuesheet?

Hi,

so far I've been ripping my CD's with abcde, having them encoded to ogg and flac files in one step. Now I'd like to use the single file flac option that provides the possibility to add a cuesheet so you can easily burn a copy of the original CD. Does anyone know if and how this is possible? I'd still like to have individual ogg files for each song.

Reply #1
I'm on win32 myself and isn't using GNU/Linux personally, but as i was a little bored at the moment, then i searched a little around for a GNU/Linux solution.

A guy named Charles Steinkuehler, has made some patches to abcde(the tools of it), which will make it possible to rip and encode to a FLAC image with embedded cuesheet and Vorbis track files.

Basically, the idea is the following :

- - Use cdparanoia to rip, using [00:00:00.00]- as the range (rips the
entire CD, regardless of any pre-gap for track 1).

- - Use cdrdao to extract a TOC file (cdrdao looks at the subcode and
extracts more detailed index data than can be found simply in the disc's
table of contents, which is what most cue generation utilities use).

- - Convert the TOC file to a cue file (hacked version of toc2cue) that
accounts for any pre-gap issues (track 1 not starting at 00:00:00).

Then encode to FLAC and embed the cuesheet and then abcde can encode Vorbis track files from the embedded cuesheet in the FLAC image.

Patches + more info here :
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=389975

Reply #2
I'm glad to see someone else using abcde as it's a brilliant ripper.

I suppose for someone starting out with Linux it may be a little daunting as it's console-based; but once you explore the abcde.conf file (usually found in /etc), you'll find it's highly customisable.

Oh, and man abcde doesn't hurt either 
Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.