Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Audibility of inverted polarity in real music (Read 45981 times) previous topic - next topic

Audibility of inverted polarity in real music

Reply #50
I don't have a whole lot of time right now to reply to all of that (I ought to have been in bed an hour ago). But I will say that, if I had to do the polarity test again, except with 1-minute tracks to compare blindly, I believe I would have absolutely failed. I had to change tracks much, much faster than that to get any sort of consistency.

By switching rapidly any chance you might be detecting some kind of interaction acoustically between the selections?

Audibility of inverted polarity in real music

Reply #51
I'm not normally a fan of digging threads from the grave, but it has been shown that I was mistaken in believing that reflected sound waves are always inverted phase. The real situation is more complicated than that, but in general, it appears that reflections off rigid planes are in phase.

The discussion leading to that determination is here.