Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Android music players that support Opus and R128 gain (Read 4614 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Android music players that support Opus and R128 gain

Reply #1
You might look at gonemad. It mentions r128 support being added in an old changelog.

http://gonemadmusicplayer.blogspot.com/2018/12/its-been-awhile-since-ive-posted-update.html

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=gonemad.gmmp&hl=en_GB&gl=US

Reply #3
I also recommend GoneMadMusicPlayer. If you are into customized playlists, GMMP has the most extensive list op options that I Have Found So Far!
Glass half full!

Reply #4
Neutron Music PlayerSpoiler (click to show/hide)If you are aware of compatibility and bored about changing configuration settings in every music player, just want to play you could use EZ CD paid/trial version

Opus 96-192Kbps and Aac-lc 96-128Kbps
Source 32bit floating point is fine don't need dithering (dB noise -758dBFS that's a lot)
Source Fixed Point aka Integer should use dithering to prevent truncation distortion
Source is RAW

Reply #5
Here's another recommendation for GoneMAD Music Player. I haven't used the R128 gain personally on it, but that's because I do it with dBpoweramp when converting my music to opus for the android player. That being said. I have a list of songs that need to have the gain applied by album instead of song, and I have to manually do them different.
GoneMAD has the option to prefer album replay gain, and it does its own scan to find replay gain levels.
Processed audio in java and python.

Reply #6
GoneMAD Music Player and Foobar2000 Mobile both support R128 gain tags in Opus files.
Opus 96 kb/s (Android) / Vorbis -q5 (PC) / WavPack -hhx6m (Archive)

Reply #7
GoneMAD Music Player and Foobar2000 Mobile both support R128 gain tags in Opus files.
After some preliminary tests with GoneMAD, I think you're right. This is great news. I will try Foobar2000 mobile too, though I never liked the interface.

Reply #8
Both PC and Android versions of foobar2000 are the top choices in my opinion.

Reply #9
Since this topic appears in search results just thought I'd add that Auxio (open source) supports Opus with R128. Only caveat currently is an upstream issue with ExoPlayer (Android's native framework) that parses Opus gain at 5dB less than the spec but the dev is working on an independent fix.

Reply #10
It is kinda insane that it is now 2024 and still the only major player I can think of that does Opus R128 replaygain right is Foobar2000.
Foobar2000 for android is great for listening but there is no search in playlists so I would prefer VLC to support Opus replaygain properly.

The problem is not confined to just mobile, the desktop too still is lacking.
On the Linux desktop I think the only major player that does it right is... Foobar2000 in Wine.
Maybe some other smaller player also can do it, like Deadbeaf, but I have not checked that one lately.

For Linux more or less everything is based on Gstreamer, which of course does not properly do EBU-R128. Fixing that would fix a lot of players.
Strawberry (Clementine fork) now even has an internal EBU-R128 normalization feature, I guess to workaround the issue of libraries and codecs doing their own things in slightly different ways. But it needs to scan all the files in the library which is too slow and ridiculous because we should have working replaygain tags for that.

Opus is a great codec and standard, but I'm starting to feel that coupling EBU-R128 with Opus replaygain was a big mistake.
Unfortunately another example of how the technically inferior but simpler implementation often leads to better results if there are 2 or more competing options in the market.

So please lord, send someone competent to have a look into these bugs before RFC7845 turns 10 years old:
- https://code.videolan.org/videolan/vlc/-/issues/27176
- https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/gstreamer/gstreamer/-/issues/1645

Maybe another approach must be taken?
Like making EBU-R128 work for all codecs?
Or maybe taking a step back and making Opus support both the old replaygain method and the new EBU-R128?
I'm far from an expert and probably have not looked into the details thoroughly enough, and sorry for the rant but having replaygain work properly across all major codecs in all the major players should not be this difficult.

Reply #11
You could use 'hard-wired' + tag based replaygain as i do with mp3 via the fb2k converter. This changes the volume directly vs only tag method.
Any RG un-aware players are supported this way. An aware player can still use tag metadata if present.

Using the album mode I can't find any issue so far.