Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Forum font too small on full-HD displays (Read 10559 times) previous topic - next topic

Forum font too small on full-HD displays

Hello,

The font is too small when using 1920x1080 resolution on 22" screen.

Is there any way to change ?  I don't like to custom zoom

Re: Forum font too small on full-HD displays

Reply #1
Ctrl + (plus) for bigger size
Ctrl - (minus) for smaller size
There are different people using displays with different dpi. The browser remembers this for individual websites and what specific problem do you have? I've seen you talked about WavPack website's font size, after David took your advice, size was too large for my taste, then I have to scale it down, and the browser remembered my preferences.

Reply #2
it would benefit from extra 1pt IMO.  Since many users here are longtimers , not kids on
mobile phones.

Reply #3
I am also a long time desktop HA user. The problem is even desktop and laptop displays have different resolution and DPI, some may even be using a 4k 27" monitor, or a 17" 1080p laptop and one may expect even smaller default font size. On the other hand there are also people like me using a 24" 1080p monitor, so the whole thing has nothing to do with "kids on mobile phones" at all.

The easiest solution is to change it on per user and per website basis.

Reply #4
 on 4k and 17 " 1080 it will be even smaller than my monitor.
IMO even on 24" an extra 1pt will work fine.
Would like to hear from forum admins themselves. Not sure if you are
or not. Thanks for your opinion anyway.

Reply #5
There are different people using displays with different dpi. The browser remembers this for individual websites and what specific problem do you have? I've seen you talked about WavPack website's font size, after David took your advice, size was too large for my taste, then I have to scale it down, and the browser remembered my preferences.

Ctrl - twice on WavPack.com on this screen. Once on another.
Zero on the one I log on in the morning before having found my glasses.

Reply #6
Would like to hear from forum admins themselves. Not sure if you are
or not.
Just a question, of course you can ignore if you don't like to answer. How many similar requests did you make on other websites other than WavPack and HA, and how often the webmasters took your advice? If they don't, what would you do? What if some other users make a similar request and the font size don't fit your taste?

Reply #7
I set Windows' font size to 130%, with default zoom on HA and one time of Ctrl- on wavpack.com

Reply #8
  I see something that I think needs a fix so I report it.  I have done it
with faulty utility poles in my area, with power lines on the road, with holes in footpaths. 
the other day in the park I nearly stepped on broken glass bottles. I removed them cause I knew no one else will.

Your mantra of play along to get along. Don't force it on me.

The Wavpack site was changed not by me forcing anything on anyone. If people had objections
or better suggestion - I would have to respect that. There was a feedback between 2 people, It was decided
that it was indeed too small.  It was extremely small on PC's  as the design was from 15-20 yrs back.

Reply #9
Instead of thinking someone is forcing you (not) to do something, I am more about thinking some real world situations. Someone uses a desktop on location A and laptop on location B and they have some major DPI differences, in this case there will not be a single ideal size on the website's side even for a single user. The only solution is the user uses different configurations on the desktop and laptop's browser and / or OS DPI settings.

Reply #10
There will not be an ideal perfect size .  Correct.
However, In most cases as time goes by pc websites are getting smaller and smaller,
except mobile versions of websites viewed on pc's. 

Reply #11

What screen size and resolution are you using ?

Reply #12
This one: 24" at 1920x1080.

(This is not at all an insult, none of us are getting younger ever, but ... you might check if you need glasses?)

Reply #13
This one: 24" at 1920x1080.

(This is not at all an insult, none of us are getting younger ever, but ... you might check if you need glasses?)

For some very small print. Reading glasses, otherwise no.  Optometrist rates my vision as very good.
PC monitor is far enough.

But IMO you are a dishonest person writing that you CTRL minus minus on the new wavpack font.
You didn't object to it in the original thread - no one did.
I for one don 't believe that is the setting you use with 24 / 1080 screen unless your like 18 yo. Even then.

Reply #14
But IMO you are a dishonest person writing that you CTRL minus minus on the new wavpack font.
Thank you for not even trying to hide your fancy for going completely ad hominem. Expect it to be linked to on occasion.

You didn't object to it in the original thread - no one did.
I did not discover how much of an impact the change made until (1) it was actually done (you are going to call me dishonest over that?), and (2) I viewed it - and reloaded it! - on this particular computer.  On a 14" laptop screen it looks a bit different, of course.

Reply #15
Since I use 104% custom dpi, my 21.5" is more like 22.5.  That is pretty close in PPI to native 24in.
My opinion still stands on the matter - that isn't the real setting you use.

Reply #16
It must be the Silly Season.

Reply #17
Since I use 104% custom dpi, my 21.5" is more like 22.5.  That is pretty close in PPI to native 24in.
My opinion still stands on the matter - that isn't the real setting you use.
OK, tell me where I can find it in Chromium / Firefox and Windows 7. The former browser reports font size "Medium (recommended)", Page zoom "100%".

Here are HA and wavpack.com side by side in the same browser, both after Ctrl-0. Tell me what I am doing wrong.

Reply #18
HA font looks perfectly fine to me (1920x1080).  Which is to say that such things are inherently relative, and changing them centrally may make the OP happy but piss someone else off.

There are scads of ways to customize such things, whether it's simple zooming or user style managers like Stylus (Chrome, Firefox) or userscript managers like Greasemonkey or Tampermonkey.  Or, at least if you use Firefox, turning off the ability for sites to set their own fonts and to always use the face and size you specify.

Reply #19
may make the OP happy but piss someone else off.

Yeah ...
So, wavpack.com went from 9 pt to 11 pt. Better to my eyes on a 14" 1920x1080 (I just checked), worse on a desktop monitor. Middle ground would maybe be ... reasonable for both. Especially when using Verdana, which is horizontally spacious and easier to read in small font than e.g. Arial/Helvetica.

But going 10 pt will probably make one of the more aggressive WavPack users start throwing rocks, and the rest of us can hit Ctrl minus.

Reply #20

So, wavpack.com went from 9 pt to 11 pt.

Off-topic but
What wavpack.com needs is better use of the line-height property in CSS (line spacing)

Reply #21
HA font looks perfectly fine to me (1920x1080).  Which is to say that such things are inherently relative, and changing them centrally may make the OP happy but piss someone else off.

There are scads of ways to customize such things, whether it's simple zooming or user style managers like Stylus (Chrome, Firefox) or userscript managers like Greasemonkey or Tampermonkey.  Or, at least if you use Firefox, turning off the ability for sites to set their own fonts and to always use the face and size you specify.
That's why I only report issues which are obviously bugs, like this one, which is also related to font size (pay attention to Peter's reaction):
https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php?topic=114257.0

Of course, I also reported a very severe issue that the website was being hacked. The post contains a screenshot which also reveals my font size preference.
https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,122609.0.html

On the other hand I am totally fine with Firefox's per site zoom settings, no additional plugin is required to do so.

From Porcus' screenshot I can see he prefers a smaller font size than mine, nothing wrong with this of course. Back in the day I've seen many people using 17" 1280*1024 (5:4) LCDs happily with Windows font size set to 100%, but it was unacceptable for me and I bought a 19" 1280*1024 in 2005 or so. Many desktop software at that time were not all that flexible in UI scaling, buttons or text labels may misplace when zoomed.

Reply #22
Hello,

The font is too small when using 1920x1080 resolution on 22" screen.

Is there any way to change ?  I don't like to custom zoom

The site was optimized for VGA 640*480 in 1994 :))

Just "zoom in" with CRTL + mouse.

I'm in +160% here  :o

+ setting => Minimum font size xx

Reply #23
Or, at least if you use Firefox, turning off the ability for sites to set their own fonts and to always use the face and size you specify.

Exactly !

And if some sites are whining because you don't use Chrome add:

general.useragent.override

in "about:config" then a agent string with "chrome" inside.

Reply #24
Many desktop software at that time were not all that flexible in UI scaling, buttons or text labels may misplace when zoomed.
A real example, see this guy's screenshot:
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=74891
X
The problem was the UI could not be completely displayed and could not be resized. It is now fixed of course.
Also, the default font size of Reaper forum looks same as HA, I use both sites without custom zooming in FireFox.