Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: How to prevent clipping without VorbisGain? (Read 6450 times) previous topic - next topic

How to prevent clipping without VorbisGain?

Hi all,

I was wondering if there is a possibility to prevent clipping in Ogg-files without using VorbisGain. If I understood it correctly, VorbisGain inserts tags into the file which have to be interpreted by the decoder, but since I want to play the music on my iRiver portable, that is not an option.
What I'm looking for is a simple solution to the problem like the one Mp3Gain offers for MP3 files. I don't know how much of an issue the clipping with Ogg really is, I just noticed that on some of my CDs the output on the iRiver is always pretty much on maximum, and if I encode these CDs with lame aps, I get a lot of clipping... Any ideas on this topic? Do I have to worry about my encoded files? And if yes, how can I fix that?

Reply #1
You can use wavegain before encoding:
http://rarewares.org/others.html

That is irreversable though.
I don't think there is any tool like mp3gain that modifies the file and is still reversible.

edit: reversable --> irreversable

Reply #2
OK, but I guess I can't know if the encoded file will have clipping or not, right? I.e. I'll have to chose a "save" volume (89dB?) and need good faith... And I suppose I'll need to write some batch file for doing all these things, or does EAC (or any other ripper program) offer a pre-processing commandline before the actual encoding?

Reply #3
I don't think there is any tool like mp3gain that modifies the file and is still reversible.

For those who want to know:

Technically it is possible (for floor1-encoded Vorbis files) but its granularity is worse and is much more complicated compared to MP3. For "current" Vorbis files the gain can be adjusted with a granularity of 2.2 dB (worst case: 6,6 dB). All floor curves have to be completely re-encoded with another offset. (Just changing the first 2 Y-values of the curve does not work in all cases)

bye,
Sebastian

Reply #4
For my DAP, I replaygain the files with album gain before I encode so each album is replaygained and at a similar volume level.  This allows, 1.) You'll not introduce clipping to your converted Vorbis files, and 2.)all of your music on your DAP will be at a similar volume level and will not blast your ears from album to album.  This is not reversible but for a portable solution I find it works the best.  I use foobar2000 for all of the encoding and replaygaining processes as well.