Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: New VST adapter for foobar2000 (Read 31568 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: New VST adapter for foobar2000

Reply #25
Sorry about the stupid regression with missing popup for simple effects, fixed just now in 0.8.

Regarding startup delays -
These are due to startup of VST host process per DSP instance. I can probably work around them by keeping a persistent process. The current solution can indeed get nasty with multiple VST effects in the chain.
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

Reply #26
Sorry about the stupid regression with missing popup for simple effects, fixed just now in 0.8.

Regarding startup delays -
These are due to startup of VST host process per DSP instance. I can probably work around them by keeping a persistent process. The current solution can indeed get nasty with multiple VST effects in the chain.

Thank you for the reply and for the update! It would be fabulous if you can create a work around by keeping a persistent process. I experienced significant lag of a couple of seconds even with just one VST in the chain compared to the VST 2.4 immediate response as outlined above, but perhaps this is unavoidable? For "play" of a track this is not such a big deal, it's with interaction, such as changing a parameter where the lag between trying different settings becomes more of a problem, due to the brain's need to use working memory to make reliable detailed comparison of auditory signals. I e, the brain becomes unreliable if the comparison of two sounds are more than 10-15 seconds apart.

Reply #27
Note: foobar2000 v1.6.14 released, with changes relevant to new VST adapter backported, so if you want to use this component properly, you're no longer required to use foobar2000 v2.0 betas.

Reply #28
Also, I know I'm repeating myself, but PLEASE use LATEST foobar2000 with the VST adapter.

ALL foobar2000 versions PRIOR TO v2.0 beta 13 / v1.6.14 RESTART the VST with EACH CHANGE OF SETTINGS. Some of the above reports sound like exactly that. The old foo_vst component had its own workarounds for this limitation, some of them resulted in general instability and unpredictable behavior. I'm fixing this properly.

I released foobar2000 v1.6.14 today mainly to fix this. Please make sure you have updated foobar2000 before reporting bugs in this component.

Thanks.

Going over other reported issues-
Confirmed odd interaction with live changes of ChowTapeModel settings, will look into it.

Reply #29
Also, I know I'm repeating myself, but PLEASE use LATEST foobar2000 with the VST adapter.

ALL foobar2000 versions PRIOR TO v2.0 beta 13 / v1.6.14 RESTART the VST with EACH CHANGE OF SETTINGS. Some of the above reports sound like exactly that. The old foo_vst component had its own workarounds for this limitation, some of them resulted in general instability and unpredictable behavior. I'm fixing this properly.

I released foobar2000 v1.6.14 today mainly to fix this. Please make sure you have updated foobar2000 before reporting bugs in this component.

Thanks.

Going over other reported issues-
Confirmed odd interaction with live changes of ChowTapeModel settings, will look into it.

Thank you! A question, in the future will using multiple visual VST interface windows simultaneously be possible, or is that something the new VST adapter will not support?

Reply #30
A future version will add better means of using VSTs as visualisations / keeping their panels open outside of foobar2000 DSP manager.

New update, fixed missing live config tracking with ChowTapeModel and more.

Reply #31
Still "VST 2.x/3.x Adapter 0.8 (2022-11-23)"
https://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_dsp_vst3

Not "Current version: 0.9, released on 2022-11-24"

Thanks.
SHURE SRH1840, SENNHEISER HD660S2, SENNHEISER HD 490 PRO, DT 1990 PRO, HIFIMAN ANANDA, HIFIMAN Arya, AKG K712 PRO, SONY MDR-1AM2, Bowers & Wilkins P7, FiiO FT5, Bose QuietComfort 45 (made a Upgrade/Balanced Cable by myself) Shall I write more?

Reply #32
@Air KEN
VST 2.x/3.x Adapter 0.9 (2022-11-24) is available for download

Reply #33
Hi :) NetRanger
really?
MD5: 221c1b5f1be4447543d63b518f735452

foobar2000 v2.0 beta 13 64bit

I also tried with other WEB Browser (Google Chrome, Vivaldi, Microsoft Edge)
I also tried it on another PC (Win10, Win11, Ubuntu)

orz
SHURE SRH1840, SENNHEISER HD660S2, SENNHEISER HD 490 PRO, DT 1990 PRO, HIFIMAN ANANDA, HIFIMAN Arya, AKG K712 PRO, SONY MDR-1AM2, Bowers & Wilkins P7, FiiO FT5, Bose QuietComfort 45 (made a Upgrade/Balanced Cable by myself) Shall I write more?

Reply #34
really?

orz

for me "Adapter 0.9"
wagner reatto

Reply #36
foobar2000 v2.0 beta 13 32bit and foobar2000 v1.6.14 are fine.

foo_dsp_vst3.dll (2022-11-24 03:07:38 UTC)
VST 2.x/3.x Adapter 0.9

Reply #37
A future version will add better means of using VSTs as visualisations / keeping their panels open outside of foobar2000 DSP manager.

New update, fixed missing live config tracking with ChowTapeModel and more.

Fabulous, thank you!

Reply #38
really?

foobar2000 v2.0 beta 13 64bit

orz

Same thing here.  The 64-bit foobar v2 beta 13 still shows the vst adapter version as ".8" in the components list after attempting to update to .9 using either "check for updates" or manually downloading and applying .9.

This did not happen with foobar 1.6.14 which correctly shows ".9" after auto-update.  Apparently the 32-bit version of v2 does update correctly also.

Peter can you fix this?

Reply #39
Looking at the downloaded package for ".9" shows that the dll in the "x64" subfolder has the same date/time/size as that in the ".8" package, while the 32-bit dll has definitely been updated from the .8 package in all 3 attributes.

Reply #40
Yeah, I was always worried that some idiot could trigger an updateloop by uploading a component with version number mismatch.
Turns out I'm the idiot.

Version 0.9 reuploaded. No code changes, added proper 64bit binary.

Reply #41
solved. Thanks. :)

foo_dsp_vst3.dll (2022-11-24 22:57:06 UTC)
    VST 2.x/3.x Adapter 0.9
foo_dsp_vst3.fb2k-component
MD5: 0a1f8a6cb97f1129bbb1904d15b307e0

Reply #42
https://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_dsp_vst3

Best used with latest foobar2000 v2.0 beta - please do not report annoying behaviors with old foobar2000, they're well known; foobar2000 v1.6.14 will also support this component properly.

UPDATE: foobar2000 v1.6.14 out, you can now use VST adapter properly without running foobar2000 betas.

Peter, thank you very much for F2k and  VST adapter. I will donate you for your work.

Reply #43
This is truly awesome. Unfortunately, as in sveakul's case, certain 64-bit plugins give an "Unrecoverable playback error: VST refused audio stream format" error. Meanwhile, the 32-bit equivalent works with the old foo_vst plugin. I'm using foobar v1.6.14 and v9.0 of the plugin.

In my case, this occurs with Minihost Modular, which seems to be the slickest and easiest option to automate plugin parameters I've found so far (even if I still haven't figured out how to use a simple LFO with them yet). I'd really love to have this work, or just find another solution for some really simple parameter automation. Whether it's VST hosts, racks, whatever else.

If anyone wants to test it, here's a copy. It's free, but only available for Image-Line customers:
https://mega.nz/file/UhpHHASZ#EjhBsAKaHkRbGgTg_r3Gx_SbAzFd1UNPV-kxhAZ4lls
(Can't seem to upload to the forum, maybe it's too big?)

Automating several VSTs within a (hopefully free, user-friendly and lightweight) host would really take all of this to the next level. If you get weird enough with it, it can basically turn a music library into an endless generative music machine, especially for ambient - or just seamlessly blend between different impulse responses and reverbs to spice up your room's ambience, Closest I've gotten so far to figuring out basic LFO automation is with Plogue's Bidule, but it's a real pain in the ass to use:
http://little-scale.blogspot.com/search/label/bidule%20basics
How hard would it be to make a plugin where you can easily draw and stretch an LFO curve, and then route that curve's animation to somewhere else? I must be a dumbass, because I can't figure this out or find the right tools for it, which I'm sure must exist. It's easy enough in a DAW, but not inside any self-contained VST host I've found so far.

Reply #44
How hard would it be to make a plugin where you can easily draw and stretch an LFO curve, and then route that curve's animation to somewhere else? I must be a dumbass, because I can't figure this out or find the right tools for it, which I'm sure must exist. It's easy enough in a DAW, but not inside any self-contained VST host I've found so far.

See, this is what I mean - at this point, I'd just settle for finding a plugin like the one on the left. The easier it is to route, the better - but whatever, it would still be much easier than typing unintuitive LFO values into Bidule's various little boxes.

Sorry to spam the thread with this, but I reckon others might be interested in automating some of their VSTs as well. And I can't seem to find the best way to do this, while still keeping in mind foobar2000's inherent limitations of functioning like a DAW.

Reply #45
Hello @Gadgety and @cooldude , for such a kind of "relatively" heavy use of VST effects, I would suggest you to use an external DAW.

I am personally using Cantabile (they have also a free Lite version that does a lot) connected through SPDIF loopback (my DAC has this option). If you do not have any digital loopback, probably you can achieve the same result using ASIO4ALL virtual interface wrapper.

Cantabile alone does not introduce significant overhead (on my old 32bit CPU with Windows 10 32bit, it is only about 2-5% when minimized to icon).
ASIO4ALL instead (at least the version I tested 2 years ago) requires significant CPU power (15-20% on my same old 32bit PC). That's why I am using physical SPDIF digital loopback and not a virtual loop via ASIO4ALL.

Regards, Andrea

Reply #46
Hello! Selecting fabfilter stops playback and displays "Unrecoverable playback error: Could not negotiate VST audio format"
Planet Earth ß tester.

Reply #47
Sorry to spam the thread with this, but I reckon others might be interested in automating some of their VSTs as well. And I can't seem to find the best way to do this, while still keeping in mind foobar2000's inherent limitations of functioning like a DAW.
I think you're really off the track. Parameter automation of VST effects? Making Foobar a DAW? C'mon, really? Use any of those numerous VST fx which have internal modulation.

Reply #48
(Win 10 - 64bit)
I've been running v1.6.13 with the Yeong VST adapter, the only VST I use is the Electri-Q equalizer, which has been working fine,
but decided to try Peter's new VST, so just updated to v1.6.14 and successfully installed the new VST adapter.

It shows in the DSP manager as active, and version  0.9.
Problem:
     When I use the VST pull-down, and select Electri-Q, it doesn't bring up a config window ( Electri-Q doesn't have one)
It opens Electri-Q -- BUT  when I close the pull-down, Electri-Q disappears.

I can't find any way to open Electri-Q, without going to the pull-down again (where it won't stay open)
   I'm expecting Electri-Q to open with Foobar, as it did with the Yeong VST, why doesn't it ?
   Should it appear in the "View", DSP list ?

Advice appreciated, thanks,,,,

Reply #49
I'm expecting Electri-Q to open with Foobar, as it did with the Yeong VST, why doesn't it ?
Because Peter didn't make it work this way, and IMO it would be very unusual if a VST host would open all n (with n = 1 .. 1000) VST fx and instrument windows on startup. Maybe Peter can add an option "Open UI on FB2K startup", what's the use case? Permanently fiddling EQ?
This EQ plugin... it's veeeery old, right? I think I remember it.