Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: may i know what software tool could i use to fix my audio files? (Read 4414 times) previous topic - next topic

may i know what software tool could i use to fix my audio files?

hi
i have ripped lots of my original cd in mp3 @320kbp/s  , aac and flac
today i run audio tester (i know only this tool to check my audio integrety) and i let it scan some of my music collection

i got on some of my audio files these errors with adio tester , i have used foobar too verify (no errors)
(TRUNCATED)
(LOST SYNC @ END OF FILE)
(BAD ID3v2 TAG)

i use these software and keep always update , foobar2000 ,mp3tag and tagscan , all freeware

it's not only mp3 and foobar related for this reason i tought "general audio" subforum was the best place
i have searched around the net but i would like to ask you some advises about it
how can i fixed (TRUNCATED) and (LOST SYNC @ END OF FILE) and (BAD ID3v2 TAG) audio files?
thanks

Re: may i know what software tool could i use to fix my audio files?

Reply #1
Since it's just MP3s that have problems, you could give "mp3val" a try:
http://mp3val.sourceforge.net/

Reply #2
Should these be "fixed"? Would any of these errors be some of those gaplessness hacks and that sort of things, that are outside the crappy MP3 "standard", but where trying to fix it would do no good at all?

Reply #3
There are probably incomplete tags or audio packets at the start or end that occurred during incorrect removal of tags in the past. Most players silently ignore any unrecgonized data as it is common. Maybe the tester program chokes on APEv2 tags.

You could try Utilities -> Rebuild MP3 Stream in Foobar on a copy (enable in Preferences -> Display -> Context Menu).

Reply #4
I've used something like the following to fix malformed M4B files; no idea if it will work in this case, as it depends on what's broken.

Code: [Select]
ffmpeg -i foo.mp3 -c:a copy foo_fixed.mp3

You say that foobar2000 found no errors when verifying file integrity; what program is giving you these errors?  Do you have any problems with playback?  (In other words, as Porcus said, do you even need to worry about this?)

Reply #5
Since it's just MP3s that have problems, you could give "mp3val" a try:
http://mp3val.sourceforge.net/
hi
they are not only mp3 but flac too
thanks

There are probably incomplete tags or audio packets at the start or end that occurred during incorrect removal of tags in the past. Most players silently ignore any unrecgonized data as it is common. Maybe the tester program chokes on APEv2 tags.

You could try Utilities -> Rebuild MP3 Stream in Foobar on a copy (enable in Preferences -> Display -> Context Menu).
hi
does it fix all the errors reported (TRUNCATED) (LOST SYNC @ END OF FILE) and (BAD ID3v2 TAG) ?
thanks

Should these be "fixed"? Would any of these errors be some of those gaplessness hacks and that sort of things, that are outside the crappy MP3 "standard", but where trying to fix it would do no good at all?
hi
Godd question , the point is they are on a portable hard disk transcend
a friend of mine use an imac , with itunes and audirvana , tried to listen my audio files and the imac crashed , he had to hard reset
it crashed while he was imported an radiohead album
i checked on my ntfs drive ,and all the songs have the errors above ,by the way ripped with eac and cuetools + lame and flac (last version)
thanks

Reply #6
MP3 file fixing tools are limited to discarding unknown data, sometimes along with a fraction of a second of audio, to stop players from reporting an error. To recover lost data, you will have to replace the files from a backup. Maybe you can share a sample file that you think is corrupted. Could be that the tester tool isn't very good and fails to parse ID3 tags that are actually valid. I trust Foobar's verify.

Reply #7
This looks serious:

they are not only mp3 but flac too

Check once more. Is there any FLAC file that is reported as bad? Is there any FLAC file that audiotester.exe and fb2k disagree upon?

a friend of mine use an imac , with itunes and audirvana , tried to listen my audio files and the imac crashed , he had to hard reset
it crashed while he was imported an radiohead album

Software that alters files without you asking for it should be totally avoided. I don't know whether those two do. (Windows Media Player had that nasty habit.)
How are the verification results of that Radiohead album?

Reply #8
Could be that the tester tool isn't very good and fails to parse ID3 tags that are actually valid. I trust Foobar's verify.
foo_verifier comes with a disclaimer that it doesn't catch all errors, so don't trust it for more than what it aspires at ... which is a bit vague.
Audiotester.exe is way more zealous. That's been up here before. Searching, I found a tip from you on a different tool, MP3GuessEnc.

Audiotester.exe comes with source code, so if anyone speaks C++?

Reply #9
does it fix all the errors reported (TRUNCATED) (LOST SYNC @ END OF FILE) and (BAD ID3v2 TAG) ?
Don't remember about BAD ID3v2 TAG, but it definitely fix (TRUNCATED) and (LOST SYNC @ END OF FILE). I too had such files detected by Audiotester. Anyway you should try it yourself.
There also are functions "Fix VBR MP3 header" and "Rewrite file tags" in foobar2000.
Edit:
I just found file with BAD ID3v2 TAG. "Rebuild MP3 stream" fixed it too.

Reply #10
foo_verifier comes with a disclaimer that it doesn't catch all errors,
You are correct. Verifier almost never reports that some junk data exists at the beginning or end of an mp3 stream (parts of lost artwork, lyrics). "Practically" it is usually fine, as players can skip over this without messages or glitches. But it could be that some audio data was overwritten during a tag update. Mp3guessenc gives a more complete report, but is hard to use from command-line over a batch of many files. Some other formats do not report failed positions in verifier, only a shorter length (ac3), FLAC errors are always reported.

Reply #11
to detect and optionally also fix errors in mp3 files (and tag info) you may also want to look at
MP3Diags