Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Homebrew CMI 8738 drivers (Read 526098 times) previous topic - next topic

Homebrew CMI 8738 drivers

Reply #100
The memory I have is rather good. Theay are KingStone 3200 DDR in amount of 1024MB (2x512 dual channel) running at 400MHz. They work perfectly with the older W2K system to where I have checked all with SiSoftSandra 2007L.

It is recommended to test memory with Memtest86+ (it works also on x64).

Reply #101
BTW some rows in minidumps may be as a result of other my testing i.e. nvidia a new graphic driver, gtr2demo game etc. So please only look at CMI related information
Regards

Well, they are all but one caused by an attempt to access a mapped memory page on an IRQ level too high (IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL).
The dumps are unfortunately a bit inconclusive, so I installed XP Pro x64 today and toyed around with it, and the driver works OK with the exception of MPU401 and the installer.

The driver stores the mixer settings in the registry during shutdown, and there have been some problems in the past - but I think they are resolved by now. Anyhoo, I'll do some further testing.

Reply #102
It is recommended to test memory with Memtest86+ (it works also on x64).

Thank you Egor. I have just downloaded it, burned CD and booted the system to test the memory. It takes about 22 minut to complete the whole process and a result is PASS. I am happy that it is not a hardware but on the other hand still the CMIx64 problem is not solved.
Maybe a remark about Panda Antivirus 2007 (Final release 2.01) is important as I have been using it so far together with Windows XP Firewall. Anyway if I uninstall CMI driver the problem disappear...
Please let you also know that I have SoundMax x64 driver for a audio chip on my motherboard (Asus board and original asus x64 audio driver) too and it works fine. The only case I have decided to put additional sound card into the PCI slot is that I have no microphone available in the SundMax jack.

Reply #103
Anyway if I uninstall CMI driver the problem disappear...

Since when have you been using my drivers?

I suspect that something goes wrong when the settings are being saved.

Under Vista, the settings are saved in this key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96C-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0000\Settings
I'm not sure if it's the same for XP, but you can search for "ChannelMask", "Node0Left" etc.

Can you confirm that these values exist?

Reply #104
Anyway if I uninstall CMI driver the problem disappear...

Since when have you been using my drivers?

I suspect that something goes wrong when the settings are being saved.

Under Vista, the settings are saved in this key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96C-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0000\Settings
I'm not sure if it's the same for XP, but you can search for "ChannelMask", "Node0Left" etc.

Can you confirm that these values exist?

Yes, I can confirm that both "ChannelMask" & "Node0Left exist but under
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96C-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0015\Settings
and the values are:
ChannelMask=3
Node0Left=fff20010
It is  amazing that a registry key exists eventhough I have uninstalled the driver...

Reply #105
Does crash happen when the system-startup sound is started?

Reply #106
Does crash happen when the system-startup sound is started?

Probably yes, however when I had problems with this I have uninstall it.
But if it is neccesary I can install it agian although would prefer to test a new release of this driver (the current one doesn't work properly in my system surely  )

Reply #107
Probably yes, however when I had problems with this I have uninstall it.
But if it is neccesary I can install it agian although would prefer to test a new release of this driver (the current one doesn't work properly in my system surely  )

I need to be able to reconstruct the error in order to fix this which I can't at the moment. If you have any more minidumps, please send them to me.
Additionally, I'd like you to find out if the cmedia card shares an interrupt with another device. Do you have any non-microsoft services installed other than the one from the Panda A/V (start->run->msconfig->services->hide all microsoft services)?

Reply #108
I need to be able to reconstruct the error in order to fix this which I can't at the moment. If you have any more minidumps, please send them to me.
Additionally, I'd like you to find out if the cmedia card shares an interrupt with another device. Do you have any non-microsoft services installed other than the one from the Panda A/V (start->run->msconfig->services->hide all microsoft services)?

I haven't more minidumps as I uninstalled cmi driver vecause of problems. However if you need new ones please let me know and I install the driver again.
All non-microsoft services are as in the picture below:

Reply #109
(...)However if you need new ones please let me know and I install the driver again.(...)

I have just installed a cmi driver again and have checked not only Windows sound recorder but also Skype and it is my wondering that when I record a message via Skype test call the playback from Skype is very slow. I've tried many times and even I speak quickly the feedback is very,very slow. I don't know the reason - maybe it is why that only Skype 32-bit version is available now. Have anyone such case like me?

Reply #110

(...)However if you need new ones please let me know and I install the driver again.(...)

I have just installed a cmi driver again and have checked not only Windows sound recorder but also Skype and it is my wondering that when I record a message via Skype test call the playback from Skype is very slow. I've tried many times and even I speak quickly the feedback is very,very slow. I don't know the reason - maybe it is why that only Skype 32-bit version is available now. Have anyone such case like me?

confirmed. Oddly enough, the back and front speakers are swapped here.

Reply #111

(...)the playback from Skype is very slow(...)

confirmed. Oddly enough, the back and front speakers are swapped here.

Hello, so I have tested another feature. At first I have check SoundRecorder again and it works fine however when I go to the SoundsAndAudioDevices (from the control panel) and choose Voice and next Test hardware button the hardware checks pass but what I can hear next is two or three times quicker than I have recorded during this test. What is it?

Reply #112
Hello, so I have tested another feature. At first I have check SoundRecorder again and it works fine however when I go to the SoundsAndAudioDevices (from the control panel) and choose Voice and next Test hardware button the hardware checks pass but what I can hear next is two or three times quicker than I have recorded during this test. What is it?

Wrong sample rate. Fixed with the next release.

Reply #113
(...)I have just installed a cmi driver again and have checked not only Windows sound recorder(...)

Probably I have found something interesting. As I show above I have only a few non-microsoft services installed but what is also working on my system is Speedfan (4.3x). I observe that in some circumstances when a computer starts and speedfan scans ISA & SMS buses and CMI is installed either WMIxWDM or other bus error occurs. However it is still difficult to state what (CMI or SpeedFan) is the main reason because since I had uninstalled the driver problem disappears and also when SpeedFan is not working I have not observe such errors. On the other hand when I use other audio driver (SounMax ADI1986) and SpeedFan together no problems appear too. I have short time to test CMI and SpeedFan together so if any one could repeat such test it will be very helpful. What do you think Dogbert?

Reply #114

(...)but what I can hear next is two or three times quicker than I have recorded during this test. What is it?

Wrong sample rate. Fixed with the next release.

Great job Dogbert!Current version 1.05 works fantastic.As well an installer (64-bit) as the driver. I hope it will still work so good.
If I have some new comments I will inform you.

Reply #115
I am having this kind of issue:

At the moment, the last version of these drivers I can use are version 1.0.1 (or 1.0.2, not tested). BTW from 1.0.3 to the newest drivers I am unable to use due some resource problem  Device manager tells me this:
Code: [Select]
Code 12
This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. If you want to use this device, you will need to disable one of the other devices on this system. (Code 12)

I have tried to disable other devices but I'm pretty surprised because older driver works?! Using Vista 32bit, tried both non-WaveRT and WaveRT drivers. Soundcard is Terratec Aureon 5.1

Reply #116
I am having this kind of issue:

At the moment, the last version of these drivers I can use are version 1.0.1 (or 1.0.2, not tested). BTW from 1.0.3 to the newest drivers I am unable to use due some resource problem  Device manager tells me this:
Code 12
This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. If you want to use this device, you will need to disable one of the other devices on this system. (Code 12)

I have tried to disable other devices but I'm pretty surprised because older driver works?! Using Vista 32bit, tried both non-WaveRT and WaveRT drivers. Soundcard is Terratec Aureon 5.1

I'm also getting the same problem. I'm using a Diamond Media Xtreme7.1 C-Media 8768. Using Vista 32-Bit Business Edition. I tried 1.0.1, but had some other issues that at the time i thought were driver related, but I might need to go back and test. It didn't come up with that resources error though.

Can't seem to get SPDIF working either, may be my wire though.... sigh. Tomorrow's another day.

Reply #117
I've enabled UART in version 1.0.2, and that requires an I/O port between 0x300 and 0x330. Can you confirm that there are free I/O ports available in that range?

Reply #119
side question: is there a utility that can completely remove all CMedia drivers? I have two Xear3D icons on my control panel + the one for your homebrew drivers. I'd like to completely remove all cmedia related drivers/software.

Reply #120
side question: is there a utility that can completely remove all CMedia drivers? I have two Xear3D icons on my control panel + the one for your homebrew drivers. I'd like to completely remove all cmedia related drivers/software.

You just have to delete a few files in the windows\system32 folder. My driver puts the files
cmicpl.cpl
cmicontrol.exe

into the system32 folder, the official cmedia drivers copy
cmicnfg.cpl
udaprop.dll
audio3d.dll
crlds3d.dll

and some more.

The applets from the control panel are embedded in the cpl files.

Reply #121
Well now your drivers work. I get audio from headphones, but I can't get spdif working.

I dunno if its my reciever or my cable, or something i'm missing.

My receiver used to work fine with an old soundcard, but that card shorted out something and stopped spitting out digital and stopped spitting out audio on one output.

I dunno maybe it friend my coax in from my receiver? (all the opticals still work)

Reply #122
First of all thank you for your great work so far!
Finally I could get rid of these four year old c-media drivers.

But another question. I'd like to use Spdif for AC3 and DirectSound for Winamp but still be able to use my 5.1 Multichannel Cinch-Out for EAX in games etc.

Is there any hope that this can be implemented? Meaning getting to work Spdif and 5.1 Speaker Set-Up?

Might this work under Vista?

Thx!!

Reply #123
But another question. I'd like to use Spdif for AC3 and DirectSound for Winamp but still be able to use my 5.1 Multichannel Cinch-Out for EAX in games etc.

EAX hasn't been implemented and will never be implemented. You can get 3D sound though, you won't get some effects.
You can use SPDIF and 5.1 sound, you just have to set the speaker configuration to 5.1 before you launch games and to stereo when you're done playing. That's actually not a driver issue but a severe design flaw of Windows.

Version 1.0.7 has been released and an update is strongly recommended.

Reply #124
Here I am again.... so, XP SP2 with latest patches, Terratec Aureon Fun with your latest drivers. Foobar2000 v0.9.4.2 with foo_input_dts and foo_out_ks plugins - and I'm trying to play Dire Straits. no luck. this time driver is installed properly, but choosing KS in Foobar results with silence 

for some time I used onboard Soundstorm to get it even in Dolby Digital. it works and my Sony STR-DB798QS gets it right, but Soundstorm is very buggy on my Asus MB so it's disabled again...