Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Medium command line (Read 6994 times) previous topic - next topic

Medium command line

OK, I am new to the forums but not new to the world of Lame.  I have a list of current Lame switches and presets but those don't really help me.  I am running EAC with Lame 3.96.1 and have read that the general idea is that version 3.96.1 performs better at the lower bitrates than 3.90.3  I have all my music at the --alt-preset standard with Lame 3.96.1 but have a friend who wants some of my music.  He doesn't want the music at the preset standard as he has a iPod mini, I also have a mini (as well as a 40GB) and a PSP and would like to keep some of these mp3 files with a lower bitrate.  Anyways I have tried the following commands: --alt-preset medium, --alt-preset fast medium, --preset medium, --preset fast medium, --preset 160, and a longer command line that went something like -V3 --vbr-new -q0...  I found that the longer command line works but alot of the frames are at the 112 and 96 kbps which is too low while any of the preset medium settings don't work.  I want something that is 160 kbps VBR mp3 that won't go below 128 kbps unless there are long spots of silence (like between actual songs and the "hidden" songs).  I notice that with aps durring the silent parts it will go down to 32 kbps which is fine.  So I want something that is similar to a command line of --alt-preset fast medium that won't go below 128 kbps unless there are long spots of silence.

Thanks for the help.

My ISP is having trouble (Comcast) and I can only go to a few sites slower than a modem.

Medium command line

Reply #1
--abr 160 -b 128

...or you might try...

-V 4 -b 128

Edit: Also give -V 5 -b 128 a shot. But I don't understand why you would limit the encoder from doing its best by restricting the minimum bitrate. Welcome to HA!

Medium command line

Reply #2
--abr 160 -b 128

...or you might try...

-V 4 -b 128

Edit: Also give -V 5 -b 128 a shot. But I don't understand why you would limit the encoder from doing its best by restricting the minimum bitrate. Welcome to HA!
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=289054"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks, the v4 works great.  With bitrates below 128kbps, I can hear the distortion.  Limiting the bitrate to 128kbps works.  I have a first generation iPod mini that gets around 6 hours with aps and want a longer battery life.  I also want to fit more files on my 245mb memory stick on my PSP.  You helped me alot as I only know the aps and apx commands.  I may switch to a smaller compression for my 40GB iPod as it's battery is limited to around 10.5 hours of playtime.  I would rather have a 12 hour battery life.  I was about to switch to 128AAC through iTunes but looked at the research and Lame 3.96.1 is not statistically different at the 128kbps bitrate than a 128AAC file.  Then I didn't want to limit my playback to only my iPod and computer.  If I ever needed to send my iPod off then I couldn't use any other device I have to play music if I were to rip in the 128AAC format.  Additionally I like EAC's secure mode.

Anyways, thanks again.  Really helped me alot.

Medium command line

Reply #3
Thanks, the v4 works great. With bitrates below 128kbps, I can hear the distortion. Limiting the bitrate to 128kbps works.

Your imagination thinks that you are hearing something. But really, you probably do not hear any difference.

Medium command line

Reply #4
Thanks, the v4 works great. With bitrates below 128kbps, I can hear the distortion. Limiting the bitrate to 128kbps works.

Your imagination thinks that you are hearing something. But really, you probably do not hear any difference.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=289085"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That is true, I am probably just hearing things.  Let me reword it then, the limit to 128kbps give me piece of mind.

Medium command line

Reply #5
That is true, I am probably just hearing things. Let me reword it then, the limit to 128kbps give me piece of mind.

If you cannot hear a difference when you encode with the 128 limit vs not encoding that way, what difference does it make? Peace of mind should come from knowing you've achieved the best possible bitrate/threshold level for your hearing, not what makes you "feel" better. That's what lossy encoding is about.

Medium command line

Reply #6
I have a list of current Lame switches and presets but those don't really help me.

Now how is that?! I think the list of switches is very explanatory. It shows the bit range (approx.) for each switch and you can also be sure that the encoder performs at its best at those bitrates (i.e. you can't tweak them yourself to make them sound better).
//From the barren lands of the Northsmen

Medium command line

Reply #7

[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=289085"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That is true, I am probably just hearing things.  Let me reword it then, the limit to 128kbps give me piece of mind.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=289142"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

There's an easy way to find out if it is actually helping anything.  Run an ABX test on it and see whether you are hearing any differences.  If you are, report your results here so the developers can take advantage of your results. 

By running a blind test you are taking your subjective opinions as to what should be better out of the equation and just listening to which one sounds better.