Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Advice needed - LAME quality (for my needs) (Read 3819 times) previous topic - next topic

Advice needed - LAME quality (for my needs)

Hi Gang -

I have searched but I get a lot of 'noise'. I'm all for betterment of LAME but have a simple question...

I DJ w/ MP3 using Visosonic PCDJ RED 5.2 (sometimes w/ FX) and every since day one, used LAME. I am pleased. I'm a VBR kinda chap.

Although many other DJs disagree, I always used alt preset extreme for my rips. Now, that said, am I being harmed by updating to the latest semi major version? I was using 3.97b2 for a spell and now running w/ 3.98a3 and I am pleased w/ the results.

I don't use fancy presets n stuff but do use V0 - see my EAC setup:

-V 0 --id3v2-only --pad-id3v2 --ta "%a" --tt "%t" --tl "%g" --ty "%y" --tn "%n" --tg "%m" %s %d

Thanks gang!

Reply #1
...am I being harmed by updating to the latest semi major version? I was using 3.97b2 for a spell and now running w/ 3.98a3 and I am pleased w/ the results.

3.98 Alphas and ALL future alpha versions -> ALPHA versions are for testing only! These include new code and are not tested or tuned at all. Many things are usually seriously broken or changed! DO NOT USE for anything, except for testing!

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....showtopic=28125

Reply #2
I kinda figured on that. I tested on a CD w/ wide dynamics and it sounded so good....... I figured no harm.

Thanks anyhow..

Ok, I go back to 3.97b2.

Reply #3
I personally wouldn't mind using 3.98a3.

In the good old days it wasn't wise to use alpha or beta software versions.
Especially with audio software things are quite different today, and with EAC, foobar,  Vorbis or Lame many users are used to work with beta or alpha versions.

alpha 3 sounds like a rather early alpha version, but it looks like 3.98 emerged directly from 3.97 beta.
3.98a3 has quality improvements concerning -Vx usage.
lame3995o -Q1.7 --lowpass 17

Reply #4
-V 2 is almost certainly sufficient, especially when dealing with delivering music to people who find modern amateuring (as opposed to mastering  ) enjoyable.