Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Trimming static from DSD -> PCM conversions? (Read 2625 times) previous topic - next topic

Trimming static from DSD -> PCM conversions?

I have started ripping my SACD collection into 88.2kHz/24-bit FLAC. Got as far as getting the DSD audio into (per album) .WAVs + .CUE.

Noticed that there was quite a lot of fuss on other forums about the small clicks that took place at the start/end of the SACDs...

I found that it happened as a result of were the PCM conversion started/stopped (if I converted the tracks separately the clicks were at the end/start of each track, if I did the whole album they were only on the start of the first track and end of the last track). I looked around for the conversion logs of 'SACD rips'. I found that other FLAC rippers had put this in the conversion logs...

"The .wav file is trimmed by 53 samples and padded with 12 silent samples to remove the static click on each end."

The 53 sample trim I understand (on the SACDs I tried the clicks started/ended about 55 samples in/out). But the padding with 12 samples? Why not with 53 samples (same as just muting)?

Any ideas why the (pirates) ripping 'standard' seems to be to cut 53 and add 12? Seems like an exact number to use for multiple releases, must be some reason behind it?

Thanks in advance,

NiPP0

Trimming static from DSD -> PCM conversions?

Reply #1
Figured it out...

Checked the difference in total length between Weiss Saracon and KORG AudioGate/Philips ProTECH/foobar SACD Decoder. The Saracon output was 82 samples longer,  53-12=41, 41x2=82.

Not sure which of the decoders is 'correct', but I'm guessing it's Saracon with the bug...

NiPP0