Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.

Poll

What devices do you use on a regular basis for listening to music?

Speakers
[ 185 ] (40.5%)
Headphones
[ 170 ] (37.2%)
In Ear Monitors (IEM)
[ 70 ] (15.3%)
Earbuds
[ 32 ] (7%)

Total Members Voted: 311

Topic: How do you listen to music? Speakers, headphones, which types, etc. (Read 82267 times) previous topic - next topic

How do you listen to music? Speakers, headphones, which types, etc.

Reply #75
I have HiFiMAN HE-400 headphones with CablePros custom cables. They have full sized planar magnetic drivers, similar to electrostatics, but don't need special amp. The downside is they're a bit on the heavy side, need a quality dedicated headphone amp, and leak like crazy. Totally unsuitable for public listening. Have a dedicated USB DAC and amp, both by HeadRoom, both discontinued. Dell laptop. Everything plugged into a PS Audio Duet AC line filter and surge and spike protection, also discontinued. This device set me back $300, but worth every penny. All lossless files.(ALAC, AIFF)

Re: How do you listen to music? Speakers, headphones, which types, etc.

Reply #76
Hello

I thought this might be a good place for my inaugural HydrogenAudio post.

These days I mainly listen to music on a pair of Beats Solo HD's. I know, I know. I was prejudice against Beats products for years. I was loyal to my $70 AUD Sennheiser HD202's for over a decade. However, I'll eat my words, the sound that comes out of Beats cans sounds better to me now than any other h/phones out. Perhaps my ears have changed.

(Relevant note: I bought some Shure headphones once. They lasted a week. Ill fitting, and treble that gave bad, bad, bad listener fatigue.)

As for speakers: well, my favourite 2.1's ever ... and I'm ready to get flamed for this too. Creative Gigaworks T3. Man. I never would've thought. Two little satellites and the 3 driver subby. Everyone comments on how incredible they sound. I've had an issue common to them however, the controller has a low quality pot which stuffs up after a while. Repaired it myself, no worries.

That's all. Cheers.
Shure SM58 | Sennheiser e865 Condesnor | Sennheiser e935 Dynamic | Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 | Novation Impulse 25

Windows 10 x64 | OSX El Capitan | Linux - Another day, another distro :)

Reply #77
just sennheiser  8)  8)

Reply #78
I use an "old school" stereo - CD player/amp/2 speakers setup - since my living room is just not suitable for anything more ambitious. I also use IEMS - Shure SE215 fed off a Sansa Clip+ or sometimes tablet/Android phone. My ears are old enough that neither they, nor my wallet, justify (say) the SE425. I've had various IEMs over the years but they all fall apart bar the Shures, which seem to be very durable (and Shure's backup is exemplary). I still have some E2s but they don't really get used nowadays.

Reply #79
I use Mirage M3 floor standing speakers + HK subwoofer for 2.1 audio setup using BK amp and Marantz pre-pro DAC with Media PC running Foobar 2000 .
I also have NAD Viso HP - 50 over the ear headphones simply amazing dynamics with room feel tech on board.

Reply #80
Desktop speakers (also my main rig): Microlab Solo 1C plugged via a USB Burr-Brown DAC;

Headphones: My old faithful pair of Sennheiser HD-580 headphones.

That, couple with my concluding the -alt preset standard-MP3 files I encoded back in 2003 sound as transparent as ever to me (even more so now, with my being 13 years older), I finally can say I've put my mind at rest regarding which encoder type (lossy), format (MP3) and settings (--preset standard) I'm sticking to (possibly for the rest of my life) - no qualms about it.
Listen to the music, not the media it's on.
União e reconstrução

Reply #81
Last year I have upgraded withing my small budget to Audigy FX (ALC 898) on desktop and Fiio X1 on mobile. Common old amp+loudspeakers in the room (jvc mx-d701t). For headphones I have A-Jays Two and this year I have added RHA MA750 - great sound, but a little bit weighty for longer use.

As for the format I prefer FLAC lossless whenever possible. Space is a non-issue for audio these days.

Reply #82
It's been more than three years, everything has been upgraded.

In the living room:
Adam A5X studio monitors
Dali SWA-12 subwoofers

In the bedroom:
JBL 4410 studio monitors

In the kitchen:
Dali Concept 1 speakers

Out and about:
SoundMAGIC E10 IEMs

Reply #83
2x MOTU 24I/O
Yamaha HS80M & Sub
MidiDSP

HD600 headphones and a Shiit Lyr amp.

Reply #84
In general headphones, as I live in a Japanese apartment.

But, I do have a pair of LSR-305s.

Source Components
  • Oppo HA-1
  • Denon DP-300F Turntable
  • Oppo HA-2 Portable DAC/AMP
  • Massdrop ODAC (work use)
  • Audio Technica AT-HA26D AMP/DAC (Not generally in use, replaced by HA-1)
  • HiFiMeDIY 9018 Async USB Dac (Not generally in use, replaced by HA-2)

Amplification
  • Oppo HA-1
  • Schiit Valhalla 2
  • Massdrop O2 Amp (Work use)
  • Stax 252s
  • Audio Technica AT-HA26D AMP/DAC (Not generally in use)

Transducers
  • Audeze LCD-2
  • Stax L300
  • Oppo PM-3
  • Massdrop/Fostex TH-X00 (if they ever get here!)
  • BeyerDynamic DT-990 600ohm
  • Massdrop/AKG K7xx
  • Philips Fidelio L2
  • Audio Technica M50x (Work Use)
  • Sony 7506 (Camera/ENG on-ear monitors)
  • JBL LSR-305 Studio Monitors (Desk Monitor)
  • M-Audio AV-30 Studio Monitors (Work Desk Monitors)

In addition to a host of recording gear that doesn't particularly need to be listed here.

Reply #85
Just saw this poll. I have retired now, so almost always listen using speakers. I have Goldmund Epilog 1&2 and Tune Audio Anima to choose from in my listening room.
When I worked I was on an aeroplane weekly and I used Etymotic ear plug types with a custom ear mould. I have some over ear headphones which I use infrequently. After listening to a few I found the AKG Q701 had the most natural bass, I mainly listen to classical music.
I actually have a lot of headphones, which is silly since I rarely listen on headphones any more.
I never listen to music in the car, I find it distracting and the background noise level means orchestral music is unlistenable.

Reply #86
Headphones 90% of the time
(Sennheiser Amperior,HD518.AKG K501)

Speakers 10% of the time
(Cambridge audio Topaz am5+Mordaunt short m10;s.All low end stuff)

My room had terrible flutter and/or echo though.
http://vocaroo.com/i/s1obupGEy6bx
[edit,this is the sound of hands clapping in my fluttering room.I had to use my laptop since my pc(and thus my better mic) are unusable]

Havent bothered to correct it,so headphones it is!

Reply #87
would like to start new topic I have a kr4400 kenwood receiver and have just purchased some Micca MB42X Bookshelf Speakers what else beside speaker wire do I need to get also have a new 55 inch TV coming soon will i be able to use the speakers with it. I know nothing about hooking this all up.

Reply #88
All of my listening is done on portable devices so I always use IEMs.

Reply #89
This is a "depends on the situation" post for me.

I work form home and usually use my speakers connected to my stereo.

When my kids get home from school, I switch over to headphones.

Obviously when I am out grocery shopping, or shopping in general, I use headphones.

I  do find some music sounds better on speakers while other music sounds better on headphones.

Reply #90
 I listen at home over LCR LSR 308s over 2 independently located and equalized subwoofers driven by a Denon AVR that takes in audio via Toslink from an LG OLEDB6 65" 4K TV.  I have an Android box that augments the locked down LG proprietary computer in the "Smart" TV.

My Chrysler 200C has a premium sound system that was designed by some of my friends and acquaintances who are infotainment developers at Chrysler. Standing still, it performs on a par with some of the better studio monitors. I have a 192 GB flash drive library of about 10,000 high-bitrate MP3 that I ripped from my 1,500+ disc CD collection.

I also have tracks from that library loaded on my Samsung S5 Android phone  with internal 192GB uSD flash drive and similarily equipped Nvidia Shield Android K6 tablet. 

The TV and the Arris cable box can browse the full 400 GB+ music library via the household LAN.  So can the Android phones/tablet/TV Box, but it is easier to work with local inside-the-box libraries.

I have a fairly extensive collection of IEMs and headphones including Sennheiser HD380s, 280s, and wireless, Sony MDR 7506 and MDR 900, as well as Audio Technica ATH M50 and 500 headphones.

Reply #91
My most favoured setups:
Portable - Sansa Clip Zip + VE Monk Plus (EQed for flat response)
Listening outside in quiet environment - Sansa Clip Zip (with optional JDSLabs O2) + AKG K240DF (with faux leather pads)
Home/Studio use - AKG K601 with respective source
In my parent's home - AQ 639 with whatever source available

I settled on this after about 10 years of switching gears and IMHO this works best for me.
Can't really recommend using smart phone for mobile setups, as the extra weight and power consumption is rarely worth it. Zip has pretty awesome real life parameters to cover basically every listening situation, on top of being one of the most power efficient music gadgets, requiring no more than 30mW for FLAC playback (compare 860mW for Fiio X3II or 1245mW for X5II).

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” -- M. Twain

Reply #92
It depends....

At home = Speakers (i.e. Klipsch Pro-Media (for the PC))
On the go = Headphones (i.e. Sony MDR-NC7)

that's pretty much it that I use on a semi-regular basis and have for many years now as I had those headphones since very late 2009 or early 2010 and those Klipsch speakers I have had since about 2003 or so. if those Klipsch speakers ever die ill probably eventually re-buy them as they currently sell for $150 on Amazon. those are the overall best speakers I got and I feel they would be difficult to top especially for the price range.

NOTE: the Klipsch speakers I have are actually a 4.1 setup but I am pretty much using the same setup as the 2.1 for $150 on Amazon for years now as I have not used the 4.1 setup in many years.

but from the looks of things on Amazon, it appears your cheap-ish pair of headphones (say about $30 tops) is about as good as your going to get for headphones unless you start spending hundreds of dollars on them which is simply too much $$$ for me as I can't see a pair of $200-300 or so range headphones being a significant enough of a difference to justify the extreme cost difference vs your $30 range headphones. basically it's pretty much about bang-for-the-buck. like it would be hard for me to justify spending a boatload of $$$ on headphones unless your REALLY into music or you got some sort of job tied to it etc. who knows, maybe there is a bigger difference than I think there is from your typical $30 range headphones to your $200-300 range. but even if there is, I can't see myself liking them enough to actually go out and shell out $200-300 as I could maybe see $50-100 but that's about the high end for headphones in my mind.

p.s. I don't like ear-buds that physically sit inside of your ear.
For music I suggest (using Foobar2000)... MP3 (LAME) @ V5 (130kbps). NOTE: using on AGPTEK-U3 as of Mar 18th 2021. I use 'fatsort' (on Linux) so MP3's are listed in proper order on AGPTEK-U3.