Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.

Poll

What lossy codecs do you use on a *regular* basis?

AAC (.m4a, .aac…)
[ 151 ] (25.3%)
LossyWAV + lossless (.lossy.flac, .lossy.wv, .lossy.tak…)
[ 13 ] (2.2%)
MP3 (.mp3)
[ 253 ] (42.4%)
Musepack (.mpc)
[ 21 ] (3.5%)
Ogg Vorbis (.ogg)
[ 82 ] (13.7%)
Opus (.opus)
[ 35 ] (5.9%)
WavPack lossy (.wv)
[ 6 ] (1%)
WMA (.wma)
[ 7 ] (1.2%)
Other (please specify in this thread)
[ 1 ] (0.2%)
I don't really use any lossy codec on a regular basis
[ 28 ] (4.7%)

Total Members Voted: 425

Topic: 2013 codec poll (Read 58679 times) previous topic - next topic

2013 codec poll

Reply #25
FLAC C8 for archiving

Lame V4.5 for portable use on Ipod 5th gen, has only 32GB

MPC Insane and recently moved to M4A TVBR 100 for home listening through PC via M-Audio Revolution soundcard with Shure SRH-940 or Adam A7.

2013 codec poll

Reply #26
Still FLAC -8 and MP3s, though I'm switching to just FLAC purely because I can't be bothered to manage two libraries and it's only my car stereo that can't play them, not because I can tell any difference  The files are on my fileserver and used for listening but they're also backed up weekly and bi-monthly offsite. Also started to try Google's Play service to see what that's like.

2013 codec poll

Reply #27
tak -p4m for archiving CDs. i convert those to vorbis q5 for use on my sansa clip+.

mp3 also makes up a large part of my collection. a few amazon purchases, DJ set downloads and other acquired things.

and it's one file per track for me. i tag my files if they are accurately ripped from CD. i'll never burn them back to an audio CD so i have no interest in cue sheets.

2013 codec poll

Reply #28
FLAC everywhere. In order to not listen always the same tracks on portable devices...

2013 codec poll

Reply #29
I took this as for newly added or encoded. Files from the Musepack days are still played on occasion but no new encodes  are done.

BTW I think this should be moved to the Polls section.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.

2013 codec poll

Reply #30
TAK -pMax (image+cue+log+png+lyrics) for my music archive, which at the same time I also listen to. Except for a simple FM Transmitter (mp3), I don't listen to portable (and thus lossy) music.
For video soundtracks though I've used Vorbis for a long time now, but lately I'm very impressed with Opus. I wish they'd hurry up with support in Matroska.

2013 codec poll

Reply #31
Opus Music:- 96kbps
                          Audio Books & Podcasts:- 40kbps

2013 codec poll

Reply #32
Another Opus fan here.I have an Iriver H340 with Soundmagic E10 phones and use the new Alpha 64kbs setting.Which I find suits me fine.

2013 codec poll

Reply #34
I'm not authorized to make new topics in the Polls forum (I tried!).

Sorry, you do not have permission to start a topic in this forum

<IgorD> Open it in general and later admins will drag it to polls

2013 codec poll

Reply #35
Wow! The responses so far are interesting, especially continued MPC usage- which I was accustomed to using on my HTPC but now starting to be overshadowed by AAC.

In short:
- CD archival: TAK -p4m using single WAV & external CUE (thanks to: Thomas of TAK, Gregory of CUETools and Andre of EAC)
- home studio archival: WavPack for 32-bit float (thanks David)
- transitional lossless for CD/studio: APE, FLAC, TAK, WV (plus WAV/PCM [not discussed]... thanks: Matt, Josh, Thomas & David)
- portable: WinAmp [FhG] AAC VBR 3 (and lower for spoken and streaming)

Hoping to get more OPUS involved in the last point as more software adoption grows
"Something bothering you, Mister Spock?"

2013 codec poll

Reply #36
AAC (TVBR100) - New encodes for Home and iPod (4th gen)
MP3s (192-320KBs) - Old music which I've lost back-ups for, used for home and iPod.
Opus (--bitrate 110) - Used on my phone which only has 2gb storage. Recoded MP3s and new music from flac.
Flac (-8) - Used only for archival purposes. Could probably use another format but haven't really bothered since from what I've seen there isn't much diff. Stored on 10gb Dvds which a few I've lost.

2013 codec poll

Reply #37
Flac (-8) - Used only for archival purposes. Could probably use another format but haven't really bothered since from what I've seen there isn't much diff. Stored on 10gb Dvds which a few I've lost.

There is NO difference, what and why is so hard to understand lossless is lossless?

2013 codec poll

Reply #38

There is NO difference, what and why is so hard to understand lossless is lossless?

No difference at all in raw output stream, right, but there still could be plenty in other meaningful aspects for archival purposes.
... I live by long distance.

2013 codec poll

Reply #39

No difference at all in raw output stream, right, but there still could be plenty in other meaningful aspects for archival purposes.

Not even that (plenty), I agree there are few differences yes.

2013 codec poll

Reply #40
1. Ogg (aotuv 6.3) -q 8 --advanced-encode-option impulse_noisetune=-15 --advanced-encode-option bit_reservoir_bias=0 --advanced-encode-option bit_reservoir_bits=4 --advanced-encode-option bitrate_average_damping=0.1 (don't ask me how I got all these settings. It was quite a while ago I made them and I for sure do not have to worry about any artifacts. Not yet anyway.

2. FLAC for recording in Reaper and when archiving different projects.

3. Single file per track.

2013 codec poll

Reply #41

I was referring to difference in compression... There's also other differences as well, such as compatibility, hardware support, encode and decode times ect.
Since I'm using flac to just store the lossless music, I was thinking of using another codec to do so but I don't think the compression gain is worth the time.

2013 codec poll

Reply #42
2001 Poll

2006 Poll

In the old days MP3 was a lot less popular.  Since 2006 though, its been mostly constant and much more popular (i guess due to LAME getting quite stable/good).

2013 codec poll

Reply #43
Flac (reference build) -6
For archival.  After doing speed tests this seems a better trade-off than -5.

Vorbis oggenc2-aoTuVb6.03 (Lancer build) -q 3
For listening on personal computer.  Many thanks to the Rarewares maintainers.

MP3 LAME 3.99.5 -Y -V 0
For portable listening, non-computer devices.  Can't beat the compatibility of MP3.

2013 codec poll

Reply #44
I rip everything into FLAC first, and then make an MP3 copy (-V0+ -Y --lowpass -1) using halb27's version of LAME 3.100-alpha.

2013 codec poll

Reply #45
I rip everything into FLAC first, and then make an MP3 copy (-V0+ -Y --lowpass -1) using halb27's version of LAME 3.100-alpha.

There's various software to do that automatically. No need to manually do the MP3 copy

2013 codec poll

Reply #46
The calculation of the percentage is not correct, because you allow to select multiple codecs.
In that case, the sum of the percentages does not have to be 100%.

Currently, 205 persons have selected 312 codecs.

What you did:
For MP3 there are 133 votes = 133/312 = 42,63%

Correct would be:
For MP3 there are 133 votes = 133/205 = 64,48% meaning: 64,48% of the voters use MP3.

I don't know what the statement would be for the 42,63%.

To put in an another way:
In your case, if I select N codecs, every codecs gets only 1/N of a vote, which is obviously not fair compared to a person, that uses only one codec.

2013 codec poll

Reply #47
2001 Poll

2006 Poll

In the old days MP3 was a lot less popular.  Since 2006 though, its been mostly constant and much more popular (i guess due to LAME getting quite stable/good).

There was a change of phrasing between polls that seems significant: "pick your predominate format" vs "pick all formats you use"

My use of mp3 is driven by use of services in which I get no choice of format (Google play, emusic, podcasts), much as others listen to aac because that's what itunes sells.
If the survey was still "pick just the one you use most," mp3 would not have been the one.

2013 codec poll

Reply #48
I figured it would be unfair not to count the codecs that people do use on a regular basis, albeit not the most. They're equally relevant, IMO.
I wish the percentage issue could be solved, though :-/

2013 codec poll

Reply #49
I figured it would be unfair not to count the codecs that people do use on a regular basis, albeit not the most. They're equally relevant, IMO.

That's fine.  It's just something to consider when you are comparing different polls that had different rules.