Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: system advice for htpc replacement - bit-perfect audio (Read 2183 times) previous topic - next topic

system advice for htpc replacement - bit-perfect audio

Hello

My aging HTPC build broke due to a power outage. Probably the Mainboard is defective. The Hardware is unfortunately too old to get replacement parts for a reasonable Price. Current parts are a Intel b75m itx Mainboard with an Intel Pentium cpu.

Which Hardware would you recommend for a quiet itx build with integrated graphics that supports bitstreaming? Likely a Mainboard + cpu is needed.

Re: system advice for htpc replacement - bit-perfect audio

Reply #2
Probably the Mainboard is defective.

I'm not sure if you're aware of it, but paying attention to the beep(s) emited during boot may help you pinpoint the defective component.

Well, that is if the motherboard supports speaker output... a lot of modern ones do not have these beep codes unfortunately.

For OP, you can still get used older motherboards from places like ebay. Did you check if there are some deals on ebay?

Also it would be good to know what pentium are you using.

Reply #3
It also helps to know what software you are running. You may want to consider something on the order of a rasberry pi, a complete single-board system for about $40

Reply #4
Indeed the mainboard doesn't make a sound. It is super counterproductive for error analysis.
I'm running Windows 7 and xbmc.
The processor must be lga1150 with a Pentium g. I don't know the exact model anymore, it's in the range of 2.6 ghz dual core. The power is sufficient and it is an energy saving build. Would be sad to throw everything away.

Reply #5
Or get something dedicated like a Vero4k+ :) Depends on what the cost is to replace the mobo

Reply #6
android box... 4k , remote, with kodi for 50 dollars
Music is my first love.

Reply #7
Since you have been using xbmc, now kodi, hopefully this will help you decide on cost effectiveness of different options:

Kodi hardware guide