Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Cambridge Audio DACMagic PLUS + Schiit Magni 3 (Read 1757 times) previous topic - next topic

Cambridge Audio DACMagic PLUS + Schiit Magni 3

Hi all,

I have been using a Cambridge 851D up until today when I got a DAC Magic PLUS as I wanted some desk space back.

I have also got myself a Schiit Magni 3 headphone amp on the way to drive my Beyer DT1990's with a bit more punch. I like to use the DACMagic PLUS & previously the 851D in 'Preamp Mode' so I have control over the volume using the DAC.

I run balanced XLR outs into a QSC GX5 which drives my speakers, so the pre amp function works perfectly for me. However I want to run the Schiit Magni 3 from the RCA outs as well, since both are active at the same time. However here are my questions:

When using the Magni 3, should I run the Cambridge in FIXED output mode and control the volume via the Magni 3?

If I leave the cambridge in pre amp mode and set the volume to max, is this acheiving the same output level as FIXED mode?

Would simply setting the Magni 3 to a level that allows for a good volume control range via the Cambridge in pre amp mode be just as good a solution?

I am looking for the most simple solution, preferrably one that doesn't require me to cycle on/off the Cambridge in order to change the output mode everytime I change between headphones & speakers.
Life-long Music Collection: 747GB / 25,646 Tracks & COUNTING! - 99% Lossless FLAC

Re: Cambridge Audio DACMagic PLUS + Schiit Magni 3

Reply #1
Answering my own question. Best result is to set the cambridge to fixed and adjust the volume with the schiit.
Life-long Music Collection: 747GB / 25,646 Tracks & COUNTING! - 99% Lossless FLAC