Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.

Poll

What lossy formats do you use on a *regular* basis?

AAC or HE-AAC v1,v2 (.m4a, .aac…)
LossyWAV + lossless (.lossy.flac, .lossy.wv, .lossy.tak…)
MP3 (.mp3)
Musepack (.mpc)
Ogg Vorbis (.ogg)
Opus (.opus)
WavPack lossy (.wv)
AC3 Dolby Digital (AC-3, E-AC-3)
WMA Standard/Pro (.wma)
USAC (xHE-AAC)
Other lossy format
Topic: 2016 Format Poll (lossy codecs) (Read 24445 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2016 Format Poll (lossy codecs)

Reply #25
Opus is the one I use most frequently.  First, it's the format my phone carrier uses on WiFi calls (which is most of them).  I also use it for voice podcasts that come in at high rate mp3 which I transcode to 16 kb/s Opus for the limited storage on the phone.  Higher rate for on-device music.

MP3 for cloud music (Google play)

Reply #26
FLAC -> Opus for portable listening pleasure.
"I hear it when I see it."

Reply #27
As far as I can see people are moving from MP3 and Vorbis to a higher quality formats like AAC and Opus. Compatibility isn't an issue on a modern mobile devices. Just install an appropriate application which supports a bunch of particular formats.

Reply #28
Still mostly MP3 for me, partly because every device I own going back to the ark can play them. It suits my needs and reaches perceptual transparency for my ears nearly always with LAME at -V3 for casual listening.

Reply #29
I use OGG on low bitrate for music and podcasts on my phone with a ridiculously small amount of storage space. Works well enough.

Reply #30
I only archive in FLAC and I don't listen much, Spotify sometimes and even if I don't use lossy almost anymore, AAC is what I convert to when I go portable, AAC and MP3 is what I come across most but AAC 96/128 vbr is what I prefer.

Reply #31
Since I've gotten a new phone its 128kbit/s opus while i use wavpack for archiving.