Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: New to vinyls, voices sound higher pitched (Read 5338 times) previous topic - next topic

New to vinyls, voices sound higher pitched

Hello everyone,

Looking for some direction here.

I recently hooked up a PL-990 from Pioneer to a Denon AVRS510BT amp with 2 Pioneer SP-FS52-LR Andrew Jones standing speakers, 2 speakers. I used 16 gauge wire from the Denon to the speakers.

I played a few records i am extremely familiar with and ive noticed the voices sound higher pitched then they usually do. Its a 30 vinyl running at 33. I messed with the pitch control a lot and when i got the instrumentals in line the vocals still sounded higher pitched.

Am i missing something? Any help appreciated!

FYI, i am extremely new so some terms and things you my ask me i may not quite understand.

Thank you everyone.

Re: New to vinyls, voices sound higher pitched

Reply #1
Look at the speed adjustment section of the owner's manual. Basically you choose 33⅓ or 45 with a button, and then you can fine-tune the speed with the speed adjust dial. When it is exactly 33⅓ or 45 (i.e. the correct speed), the stripes in the stroboscope window will be standing still. If you are in North America, you want the 60 Hz lines... ignore the 50 Hz ones.

Re: New to vinyls, voices sound higher pitched

Reply #2
I messed with the pitch control a lot and when i got the instrumentals in line the vocals still sounded higher pitched.
The pitch of everything will change together when you change the speed so the vocals & instruments will stay in correct relative pitch and in tune with each other, although the absolute pitch will be wrong.   If the instruments speed is 10% fast the pitch of the vocals & instruments will be 10% high.  Like mjb says, use the strobe.     If you can't get the marks on the platter to appear to stand still, you've got a problem (maybe the belt is off its track or something).

If you think the speed is way-off (like the difference between 33 1/3 & 45) you can check that by counting the revolutions for 1 minute.      You can also check the playing-time for a song which is usually printed on the record.

I played a few records i am extremely familiar with and ive noticed the voices sound higher pitched then they usually do.
Are you familiar with the records or digital versions?     The digital & vinyl may be mixed/mastered differently and analog vinyl will sound different than digital because of analog limitations/variations.