Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.

Poll

Where do you get your music from (primary)?

CD - new, bought online or in local stores
[ 130 ] (25.3%)
CD - used, bought online or in local stores
[ 87 ] (16.9%)
CD - used, borrowed or rented
[ 37 ] (7.2%)
DVD or SACD - new, bought online or in local stores
[ 13 ] (2.5%)
DVD or SACD - used, bought online or in local stores
[ 9 ] (1.8%)
DVD or SACD - used, borrowed or rented
[ 4 ] (0.8%)
iTunes
[ 25 ] (4.9%)
Other online store (e.g. Google Play, Amazon, etc.)
[ 84 ] (16.3%)
I use Spotify, Deezer or other streaming services
[ 60 ] (11.7%)
Other (e.g. Vinyl)
[ 65 ] (12.6%)

Total Members Voted: 351

Topic: Where do you get your music from? (Read 82900 times) previous topic - next topic

Where do you get your music from?

Reply #25
Why would anyone use anything other than Spotify these days? It's 2015, how can you use CD:s?

For the same reason people still buy Vinyl: I like the artwork, I like to have a booklet, as to have some physical evidence of 'ownership', for bragging rights, and additionally, for being lossless?
Music: sounds arranged such that they construct feelings.

Reply #27
Why would anyone use anything other than Spotify these days? It's 2015, how can you use CD:s?

Because it's good and simple.

1. Put CD in CD-player
2. Press play

Reply #28
I've been in a sort of "discovery mode" for the past few years, my only music purchases have been the "drops" offered by Soundsupply. Quite pleased with my purchases so far, and they also offer FLAC downloads.

Reply #29
I still buy CD's, even though I mainly listen them them ripped commuting and at work. Buy my main listening experience, at home, is CD's in the good ole CD-player. I love going through the stacks and having the cover in my hands.

Where I buy them? http://play.com (quite cheap online retailer), http://www.velvetmusic.nl, https://www.konkurrent.nl (two nice Dutch webshops) and Plato in Utrecht. And I pick-up a CD now and again at gigs that I visit.

Reply #30

Cause I refuse to rent my music.  I enjoy music too much to ever be in a situation where I can't listen to my music collection because my credit card was declined.

I want lossless, so I am not locked into a format.  So I still get CDs.  I buy from iTunes if there are bonus tracks that aren't offered anywhere else.

Reply #31
Cause I refuse to rent my music.  I enjoy music too much to ever be in a situation where I can't listen to my music collection because my credit card was declined.

I want lossless, so I am not locked into a format.  So I still get CDs.  I buy from iTunes if there are bonus tracks that aren't offered anywhere else.
Amen!

Reply #32
Piracy. 

Reply #33
What? Nobody? Never?

(finally somebody has figured out the absence of so obvious option.)

Reply #34
Since this forum doesn't support piracy, it shouldn't be a surprise when it is not included as an option on polls.

Reply #35
What's the point of asking if you don't want to hear the answer?
I use "you know what"

Reply #36
It's 2015, how can you use Spotify to listen to these artists?
http://pansentient.com/more-on-spotify/spotify-mia/
Oh, sorry, you can't. Some of the most important artists ever aren't on there.

David.

I know it is a couple of months ago since this was posted, but that list is from some 4 years ago.

To name a few: Oasis, Eagles, Metallica, Pink Floyd, Rammstein and Led Zeppelin are now all on Spotify. I'm not saying everything will be, but a lot of those in the list mentioned are there.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.

Reply #37
I don't know what the current "not on Spotify" list is, but I think it still contains The Beatles and Taylor Swift.

Isn't there a whole generations that "gets" its music from YouTube? Plenty of Beatles and Taylor Swift on there

Cheers,
David.

Reply #38
However passé or just plain weird it may sound, I still have a hoot at buying and ripping CDs, then converting them into some quality lossless(ssy) format.

So, physical collection in hand, I couldn't honestly care less whether some kick-ass streaming service keeps artist X or Y on their monthly I.O.U. list.

Though the merits of something like Bandcamp, or the plain brilliant idea behind murfie.com, are really something to be shouted about.
Listen to the music, not the media it's on.
União e reconstrução

Reply #39
Several of above.

I'll buy CD's, SACD's, Blu-rays and, on rare occasion DVD's when a Blu-ray isn't available.

I'll buy them in order of preference, used (either from stores or Amazon) or new, either from the artist themselves, a local store (if the price is reasonable), Amazon or some specialty music store.

Reply #40
I go to the local public library. It is linked with 20 other libraries and I can almost always get any title I want. Rip 'em to ALAC or AIFF and turn them back in.

Reply #41
I've been buying a lot of Japanese SACDs lately. DSD sounds wonderful!

...but seriously: lots of cool (to me) classic titles being released on the silly format. I'm exceedingly happy with the latest SHM-SACD master of T. Rex's "Electric Warrior" and am really enjoying Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow on SACD as well.

I consume music from multiple sources though. Usually CD, sometimes vinyl, direct digital downloads (I limit unauthorized ones to OOP titles,) subscription-based streaming, etc.
The Loudness War is over. Now it's a hopeless occupation.

Reply #42
These days I mostly buy LPs of albums from my favorite bands, and/or buy+download from Bandcamp. A surprising number of artists use BC these days, and the mobile app is a joy to use. A lot of LPs come with download codes, too.

I prefer LPs because I like the whole tactile nature of the playback, and because it encourages me to not skip or shuffle tracks. The big artwork and fancy colored LPs is a huge bonus as well.

I only buy CDs if the album is not available on LP or as a lossless download.

Reply #43
Where does my music come from? The stork brings it, wrapped up in a handkerchief.

Reply #44
So people actually pay for a whole CD just to look at the artwork? I just can't believe that is true. You can look at it online if needed. Besides, where are you going to store all your CD's? Eventually you end up with a dumpster full of CD's, and you'll never ever find the CD you are looking for when you feel like listening to it. I don't even have a CD player anymore. Spotify or YouTube for me, thanx. Oh, yeah that's right, I used to be an audio freak back in the day, but now I'm "free" from that burden and I no longer have the audio paranoia that is pretty common around here. 
//From the barren lands of the Northsmen

Reply #45

Apparently some people still buy CDs. Who are those freaks?

Reply #46
Apparently some people still buy CDs. Who are those freaks?

Me, if there's no download available for purchase and the LP doesn't come with a download code and I can't find it through "other sources".

Reply #47
My preferred method isn't listed. Purchase CD directly from the artist.

Reply #48
My preferred method isn't listed. Purchase CD directly from the artist.

That's a good point. I recently bought a couple of albums directly from the artists after a concert. I feel it's the best way to support them directly, since you also get a chance to properly express your appreciation for their music.

Reply #49
That's a good point. I recently bought a couple of albums directly from the artists after a concert. I feel it's the best way to support them directly, since you also get a chance to properly express your appreciation for their music.

We also fund albums through Kickstarter. One of those ended up with Peter Mulvey dropping by our house and putting on an impromptu show for my wife and me. The others all got us autographed albums, in advance of release, and a nice excuse to talk to the artists after shows. We just got our advance download of Jeffrey Foucault's new album and a nice note. We host house concerts now and then, and lots of CDs get sold that way as well.