Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.

Poll

Factory made, price < 500 €/$
[ 386 ] (53.6%)
Factory made, price < 1000 €/$
[ 124 ] (17.2%)
Factory made, price < 2000 €/$
[ 80 ] (11.1%)
Factory made, price > 2000 €/$
[ 78 ] (10.8%)
Self made, prepared Kit, price < 800 €/$
[ 10 ] (1.4%)
Self made, prepared kit, price < 2000 €/$
[ 5 ] (0.7%)
Self made, prepared kit, price > 2000 €/$
[ 1 ] (0.1%)
Self made, own design and constr. < 800 €/$
[ 16 ] (2.2%)
Self made, own design and constr. < 2000 $
[ 13 ] (1.8%)
Self made, own design and constr. > 2000 $
[ 7 ] (1%)

Total Members Voted: 1252

Topic: What speakers are you using on your \'good\' stereo system ? (Read 293824 times) previous topic - next topic

What speakers are you using on your \'good\' stereo system ?

Reply #50
Source: M-Audio Audiophile 2496

Headphones: Sony MDR-7506, Sennheiser HD-560, Sennheiser HD-580

Speakers: Tannoy Reveal passive monitors.

Reply #51
Originally posted by fewtch

Both the times the police came by here were after 9PM (I think the problem was due to a subwoofer), but even playing music loudly during the day or early evening won't endear anyone to their neighbors around here.  Most of the people living in this condo complex work a lot of hours & want peace and quiet when they get home, I guess.  I'm actually rather out of place living here, but my parents own the condo & I get "extra primo good" monthly rent price from them...

Well, you get what you pay for I guess  Often I leave my subwoofer off for my family's benefit at night, but during the day its a different story ...

Reply #52
Speakers: B&W 802 Matrix III
Amplifier: Rotel RB-991 / Rotel RC-972
DA Converter: Sony DAT recorder
Soundcard: Terratec EWX 24/96

The terratec has no official coax output but a 5 volt output parallel on the toslink connector. With 2 resistors and a capacitor I have a coax spdif output.
With something more than the standard 0.5 volt output.
Connect it with 12 meter of 75ohm coax to my Sony DAT recorder.

Reply #53
Audigy + Labtec's Pulse 424 give me a very clean, real and transparent sound.    Bass is superb.

In fact, below US$150, my great system gives me a far better sound quality than many Sony or Panasonic mini-hifi.

Reply #54
Hi. I had a pair of B & W 602 s2's. They sounded so great I bought a pair of cdm 1nt B & W about three weeks ago.

They are incredible but the nautilus tweeters are a little sharp sounding in my living room, which is why I have been on about equalizers lately.

The imaging ability of these speakers is absolutely erie at times.

Reply #55
Not too many 'mad' people in this forum, it seems

yup...

sad.. sad.. sad..

and with some time & effort.. + a small amount
of money... you can get a lodspeaker system.. worth..
between: 1 to 5/8000 $. (real value)

let`s say:
800$ in elements
300 in crossovers (simple 3-way 3-order LR filter)

and that`s a expensive modell..

Reply #56
Mine's a design proposed on the DIY speaker mail list ("Bass" list at the time) that ended up with
some group purchases of compenents, so there are a few of them around. varying a bit in the details of the
baffle and woofer enclusure:

5 foot Carver ribbons in open dipole baffles  (as used in Carver Platinum and Genisis I)
NHT 12 inch woofers (as used in their SW3 sub and their top-line speaker)
biamped with  an active crossover designed by an engineer at Carver.

Reply #57
A pair of 15 year old Technics.  Part of a complete hi-fi system, but I would estimate them to have been around the $400 mark

I hope to build my own pair for ~$200 when I have the time, have learnt a little more and have access to decent software for testing
< w o g o n e . c o m / l o l >

Reply #58
M-Audio Delta 410 Soundcard (Analog out )

1973 Revox Preamp
1973 Revox Power Amp
1976 3-way Revox Speakers (80W) soon to be changed for Infinity RSII (1983)

BTW: bought all the Revox stuff (I was born in 1979 so these are older than me...) for $300 but wouldn't trade it for $1000 worth be it Technics, SONY or whatever crap like this two I mentioned. Sound better than my friend's setup (HK Amp + Infinity Alpha Speakers - new).

Reply #59
I have a Denon AVR-1603 receiver powering my Canadian-made Energy Take5.2 speaker system (it's called 5.2 because there was a previous Take5) ... I am sure most of you haven't heard of Energy, but they compete with Bose over here. My satellites are quite small, but sound phenomenal, especially considering their size and price range.

i have the front speakers mounted to the wall, the rear speakers on stands behind my couch, and the subwoofer in the corner. I bought a package deal at Bay Bloor Radio in downtown Toronto, which came with a free Panasonic DVD-RV32 dvd player, and 120' of Monster Cable for my speakers.

I connected my dvd player via optical and s-video, my digital cable box is using digital coaxial for digital audio, stereo rca for the analogue, and s-video. my computer has an SB Live Value hooked up using stereo RCA-headphone cable.

Everything sounds fantastic, except I have to boost the subwoofer channel by an extra 3db when listening to music from the computer. When playing CDs in my dvd player, there is quite a bit more bass... not only louder, but deeper in range. It is quite annoying.

Reply #60
Sound Lab Pristine electrostatics or. when I want it LOUD, KEF 104/2's.  Drive 'em with two halfer mono bridged 500's generating 1000+ watts per channel.  Yes, it does play Funktown, the Saint-Saens Organ Symphony and just about anything else plenty loud.  Just look at the bottom of those old Stones record liners where it always says either, "Play it loud" or "Turn it up."

Huh?   
Nov schmoz kapop.

Reply #61
does anyone know anything about the brand dahlquist? i have some dahlquist dqm-9's that were given to me but i don't know much of anything about them.  same goes for the NAD 7140 receiver i was given.
i hate cats

Reply #62
does anyone know anything about the brand dahlquist? i have some dahlquist dqm-9's that were given to me but i don't know much of anything about them.  same goes for the NAD 7140 receiver i was given.

yup...

nope.. not realy... but dahlquist was the first
brand to prove the genious of the open baffle...
to the consumer marked..

and thereby opend up.. for Broadband loudspeakers..

when it comes to nad..
well. 7140.. sounds old..

i got a 3240.. in 88-89 i think
2x40.. but with there power envelope
circut... i calculated.. that it gives around 2x120
dynamic power.. in 4ohm..

and the sound.. was/is typical.. english..

Reply #63
I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place at the moment. I have both the Monitor Audio S8's and S10's on trial and can't decide which I want to go for yet. Some music sounds better on the S8's, other music better on the S10's. I'll vote if and when I make a decision.

Audiophile 24/96 > Arcam Diva A85 > MA S8/S10

I did try Kef Q7s too, they went back within the week, the S10's were alot better.
daefeatures.co.uk

Reply #64
I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place at the moment. I have both the Monitor Audio S8's and S10's on trial and can't decide which I want to go for yet. Some music sounds better on the S8's, other music better on the S10's. I'll vote if and when I make a decision.

Audiophile 24/96 > Arcam Diva A85 > MA S8/S10

I did try Kef Q7s too, they went back within the week, the S10's were alot better.

Find a speaker that sounds best with both classic music or the latest Dr Dre hit (sorry, don't have anything else in mind). But having in mind that almost anything these days is able to boom and melt the wax in your ears with treble, look for tight bass, clean highs and MOST important - MIDS - the music has to have presence.

So if one speaker performs better in vocal range or the instruments in a classical piece 'come out' nicer than the other then pick up that one, you'll get used to the sound in time.

Reply #65
yup...

something is missing.. in the marked.

some manufacturers.. (hi-end) usualy give you
a certificate with the speakers.. + a pampflete
over the components, design, building material..
and the benefit from it.
(ex: sonus faber) who actually.. build cabinets..
after the "instrument" method..
(a loudspeaker IS a instrument..)

if all serious loudspeakers in the store..
had something like that..
you could easely have filtered out 60%
of the sheap builds.. on the marked.

Reply #66
does anyone know where i might be able to get some info on the dahlquist dqm-9 and/or the NAD 7140? i've looked, but can't seem to find anything
i hate cats

Reply #67
Audigy 1 -(cheap cable)> Yamaha AX-396 -(cheap 2.5² cable)> JBL MK1000

I bought the speakers some years ago, and I think they are worth the money, but I as soon as I've got enough €€€ I'll spend them on a pair of better speakers...

Regards, fileman.

Reply #68
After insulting my ears with Heco speakers until 1980 I built a pair of KEF Mini Transmissionlines which are still providing very good and neutral sound quality. Around 1990 they were replaced by TDL Monitor Compact, also transmission line, but a bit bigger

edit: typo

Reply #69
I have used for almost 7 years B&W P-4 (IMHO superb value for money), but have switched recently to Sonus Faber Concerto Grand Piano. Expensive for sure, but really classy stuff, and not picky on the program- a real allrounder. My wife just LOVES the looks of it too! 
On my puters I have Acoustic Energy Aego 1 (+Echo Mia soundcard) on the "good" puter, and Microsoft Soundsystem 80 (+Turtle Beach Santacruz soundcard) on the second one. Both perform quite well- regarding their pricetag.

Reply #70
Sonus Faber Concerto Grand Piano

Very nice.  And yes, they are pretty.

I use the following:

Speakers: Definitive Technology BP2000tl
Amp: Sherwood Newcastle AM-9080 (120w x 5)
Preamp: Acurus Act-3 (sold my beloved Anthem AVM-20    )

DefTech speakers are known more for their abilities in a home theater applicaton.  Their bipolar design (3 drivers fire forward, 3 identical drivers fire toward the rear, plus a 15" 500w sub in each tower) creates a very wide image.  They do work well with music but you need to spend some time with the set-up as they need a lot of room to really sing.

Reply #71
I am using Sony ss-535 AV speakers connected to a Jolida integrated tube amp.  I know this combination sounds rediculous but I have yet to find a set of speakers I enjoy more.  I am working on building a computer to connect to the amp but I have yet to learn enough to get LAME work automatically with EAC.  I am waiting until I can make better hardware and configuration choices to make the connection.  Personally I think my ears are turning to tin but I guess you have to use what works.

Reply #72
My home rig is my pride and joy 

Digital Front-end is a Krell MD10 Transport / Studio Dac

Analog Front is is either Rega Planar 3 / RB300 / Sumiko Blue Point MCor Pro-Ject RPM9 / 9c Carbon Fibre Tonearm and Ortofon Rohman MC

Audiolab 8000Q Preamplifier and EAR 834p Phono Stage (3 x ECC83s).    The Audiolab was A/B'd against a Musical Fidelity A3cr earlier thois week and it walked all over it!

Power amps are a pair of Tube Technology Genesis Monoblocks with Gold Aero E34Ls running in Superlinear at upto 100watts output.    Alternatively I can use a pair of Rotel RB970s bridged into Mono giving upto 180watts output.

Speakers are ProAc Response 1SC on Target R4 Stands.  Alternatively I have Spendor SP3/1s, Quad 77-10ls and KEF Q15.2.

Speaker Cables are QED Genesis Silver Spiral with WBT Spades, QED Silver 12 with Arcam plugs.  Interconnects are Chord Chorus, Nordost Red Dawns, Van Den Hul D102 III's and Chord Prodac.

Headphone amp is a Sugden Headmaster with Sennheiser HD580/600/25/PX200, Grado SR60, and Stax Lamda Nova Basic

Killer System.    I don't listen to much on my computer as I generally just use it for transferring stuff to NETMinidisc for listening whilst out and about.

Reply #73
First post to the Hydrogen Audio forum.    I'm using Paradigm Phantom speakers, with my LXI and Pioneer stereo connected to my computer's line-out. While not high-end sound, these speakers are certainly much better than the little ones included with the PC. 

*dreams of Krell, Mark Levinson, etc.* 

Reply #74
My front speakers are a pair of KLH 609S's (doesn't mean much to me) that I found at a place called Liquidation World, $100 for the pair... they're powered by a 50-watt 'Modulaire' amp that looks c. 1970's (I found it in the basement; it's older than me :P)... the rears are the pair Realistics I found with the amp, and they're powered by (get ready for it) the right one of a pair of reallyreallyreallycheap plastic computer speakers with a headphone-out jack on the front (I just know I'm gonna get flamed for that ;)

And, supplying all that cheap stuff is an SBLive Value. Somehow, it all works out...

I've heard much more expensive systems than mine, and they do sound appreciably different (in some cases very different), but to my ears I wouldn't say they sound any *better* as such, just 'more expensive'. Maybe I'm just too accustomed to this setup? But the nice thing is, it has this weird ability to make some pretty crappily encoded stuff sound good... I compared on some high-quality headphones and on the phones I could easily tell that 128kbps MP3 sucked compared to 160 or 192, but played over speakers it's almost imperceptible, in a good way. I can tell the difference between Ogg and MP3 though (the former sounds much nicer).
Death to graphic smilies! :P
(Stupid MSN.. I'll never forgive them for that... it took me 2 years to realise that (Y) was really a thumbs-up -- all this time I thought I was being mooned! --Or eaten by Pacman . . . )