Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: another tool for mastering comparison (Read 2348 times) previous topic - next topic

another tool for mastering comparison

Hi all,

I did a simple and free tool to compare different masterings :
it shows peak and rms upon time, histograms in linear and log fashion, spectrum and gives rms, peak, crestfactor, DR and LRA values.

- it is based on gnu octave (which has to be installed first), so anybody can check, improve or add features
- compared to Masvis, it offers a direct comparison of spectrums (see hereunder two DSOTM masterings)
- would be nice if some octave geek have a look to improve speed (speed is about 10x on a standard laptop)
- I have implemented two loudness measurements : DR like and a kind of LRA (loudness range)
- track can be de-emphasised before analysis
- works for mono or stereo wav files, any sample rate, any bitdepth
- it only works on windows PC
- download : trackalyzer

Thanks for feedback.

Reply #2
Does it have a feature to perform loudness-matched, time-synchronized ABX testing?
No sorry, it is only a file based analysis and not a real-time processing tool.

Reply #3
I think meters are great and all, but to me it seems the only comparison that really counts is what you hear.  As is stated in our TOS, it "is the very core of Hydrogenaudio."

Anyway, I said my piece as I did here.  I don't think it would be very constructive for me to bog this topic down over the usefulness of visual aids as they relate to making judgements about sound quality, so I'll bow out now.

Reply #4
he usefulness of visual aids as they relate to making judgements about sound quality
this is not a tool to make judgement about sound quality : it should help to explain why there is or there is no sound difference between masterings. Its purpose is certainly not to replace ABX listenings.
In the example I gave above : if Trackanalyzer measures a difference of about 5dB under 100Hz and above 5kHz, it may explain why you hear a difference between the original CP35-3017 and the MFSL version of DSOTM Money.

Having seen the link about DR, LRA: I totally agree with Greynol that one figure cannot qualify a track sound quality.