Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Changing of "Artist Name" deletes all "Track Titles&quo (Read 4529 times) previous topic - next topic

Changing of "Artist Name" deletes all "Track Titles&quo

Changing of the "Artist Name" deleted the "Track Title" of all marked tracks of the Album! Both on MP3 and CUE-Sheets! 

At forum “3rd Party Plugins - (fb2k)“, topic “[Not My Release] EsPlaylist“  I’ve reported a bad behaviour. See my messages #35, #87, #88, #91 there. I wrote there, that "I tried to reproduce this event, but I couldn't up to now. It appears to be rarely."

After adding an "Album Artist" and changing the "Artist Name" I had no "Track Title" any more. 

It happened not only with MP3, it happened with FLAC's CUE-sheet also!

I’ve set up a naked new Foobar2000 v.1.0.1 – and it happened again!

I was able to reproduce the manner this way:
1.   Mark all songs of an Album in DUI Playlist View.
2.   Add an “Album Artist” into the field
3.   Safe the changes (OK)
4.   Right afterwards change the “Artist Name” (delete a part of it or add something at the end).
5.   Safe the changes (OK)
6.   Sometimes the "Track Titles" of all marked tracks are gone away and only the filenames or the CUE-sheet names are shown.

The problem is "sometimes". On the naked new installed Foobar2000 v.1.0.1 it was all 4-5 times. On my full installed system it was all 40-50 times. It depends on things I don't know.

System: Windows 7, 32 Bit

Please don’t leave me alone with that thing!

Reply #1
post your components at least
but more likely track down offender yourself by disabling some components, then post your problems there

Reply #2
a similar problem happened with me...whenever any tag fields (not just album artist) is changed inside foobar the id3v1 tag is somehow removed so that only blank fields shows up in explorer or wmp  , but then i checked with tag&rename(and foobar again) and the tags were there...i also tried a clean install with no additional components and it still happens..dunno whats going on?

Reply #4
post your components at least
but more likely track down offender yourself by disabling some components, then post your problems there

The last try was with a naked new Foobar2000 v.1.0.1 - no added components!!!
Just new installed, Quick setup, choosed a Main-Layout, added path to Media Library and that was it!
Post your components at least
- Here they are..
foo_albumlist.dll
foo_cdda.dll
foo_converter.dll
foo_dsp_std.dll
foo_fileops.dll
foo_freedb2.dll
foo_input_std.dll
foo_rgscan.dll
foo_ui_std.dll
foo_unpack.dll

Reply #5
I could only guess in wrong source tagged files
for cue sheets reason could be anything (thou I don't get you cue problem: artist is ok, album is ok and you don't have tracks title)

Reply #6
I could only guess in wrong source tagged files
for cue sheets reason could be anything (thou I don't get you cue problem: artist is ok, album is ok and you don't have tracks title)

Before that happend, there where all titles in that cue-sheet. I couldn't do a screendump, because I didn't know what will be happen afterwards. I haven't seen that before too...

Just a few minutes ago a could reproduce that mistake again (with the new installed foobar2000 v.1.0.1). I took a Band with x albums what I myself was converting with foobar last week from Wavepack files (WV) to MP3. I allways use Lame.exe v.3.98.2 V2. Tag Type ID3v2|ID3v1 with "writer compadibility mode".
Hmmm... wrong source tagged files... hardly. It happend to often.

Reply #7
last question: are you using foobar as only tool for tagging?

Reply #8
last question: are you using foobar as only tool for tagging

Yes, I don't use MP3Tag except to delete some build-in covers. I don't use winamp since I have deleted it 2 years ago, as I met foobar. I've deleted windows media player12 too and the other microsoft radio-TV-media-bullshit from my system 5 months ago.

Just another information (to make it more clearly) :
- The first thing is allways adding an “Album Artist” into an empty field and safe it.
- When changing the “Artist Name” delete only a part at the end of the name, safe it.
- Add something at the end of the “Artist Name” , safe it, thats mostly the end of the Track Titles. 

Just happend - See album "Gish" of "The Smashing Pumpkins": I did it like described above...

Reply #9
Read the headers. The titles are there, but you think it's in the Artist/Album column, which it's not.

To be sure what it displays, make a new column with $meta(title) then it will show what's in the tag.

Also, which tag types are you using?
Windows 10 Pro x64 // foobar2000 1.3.10

Reply #10
Read the headers. The titles are there, but you think it's in the Artist/Album column, which it's not.
To be sure what it displays, make a new column with $meta(title) then it will show what's in the tag.

See Column Meta(Title) - believe me, there's nothing in it... what you see is the filename...

Also, which tag types are you using?

ID3v2.3 (shown as ID3v2|ID3v1) with "writer compatibility mode" - see Selection Properties.

Reply #11
Can't seem to recreate it, using foobar2000 1.0.1 or v1.0.2 beta 1.

Reply #12
Can't seem to recreate it, using foobar2000 1.0.1 or v1.0.2 beta 1.

foobar2000  v1.0.2 beta 1 - I took next album  - the same

EDIT:
Please understand: I'm able to handle this problem, ist just a minute for me to get the titles back. But an "standard" user who changes a lot of Albums all at once and has no notice about that - what will he do? - And such a mess should not happen.

EDIT 2:
If its necessary I can make a packed rar-file of my foobar-directory and some albums to download for you...

Reply #13
Does it happen only when multiple files are modified in the described way?

Reply #14

Yes, only when multiple files are modified. And it's necessary adding an “Album Artist” into an empty field first!

Reply #15

@herojoker and @all_supporters
This question puts me to the solution and why this happens!
It could happen to everyone and everywhere when multiple files are used with content <<multiple values>>...

1: Multiple Files are marked, Properties, the content of a field was changed:

2: An unnessesary push on ENTER/RETURN was made. The next field has <<multiple values>>... in it, but after ENTER there is nothing shown in it. This is stupid because track titles are allways different and will seldom multiple changed!

3. Without pushing of any key (in the field "Track Title") is "Track Title" of all tracks empty after saving! What you see in playlist is the file name. Next to Length is a new column made with $meta(title).

This behavior of Foobar2000 must not happen and should be changed! With single changes it dosn't appear!
A field with <<multiple values>>... in it mustn't delete the content without pushing any key!!! I'm not the only stupid foobar user!

Reply #16
It should bypass if you don't enter anything in the field, or you can just press Enter again to jump to next field.

Or don't use Enter at all when you're not going to change any more fields.

Reply #17
It should bypass if you don't enter anything in the field, or you can just press Enter again to jump to next field.
Or don't use Enter at all when you're not going to change any more fields.

Thank you for your answer.
I'm sure, Microsoft-Support would say: "It's not a bug, but a feature!". Maybe pure mouse users will never get that problem.
But I'm an old keyboard user. I can't allways control my brain when working in high-speed. 
So I say it again: That could happen to everyone and everywhere when multiple files are used.

This feature of Foobar200 should be fixed!

Reply #18
as a keyboard user, you should be more familiar with the tab key.

Reply #19
It only happens if you use Alt + O (pressing OK), while being in the Title field when it's blank.

However, when pressing the mouse on OK it doesn't remove it, so it doesn't behave the same.

Reply #20
It only happens if you use Alt + O (pressing OK), ...

Yes, indeed, thats what I allways use... 
..., while being in the Title field when it's blank.

Oh no, thats not right, it happens also when adding or deleting some text at the end of the Title field!

Reply #21
as a keyboard user, you should be more familiar with the tab key.

Yeah... right... that's what I allways do when I want to write something into a (or the) next field. But here I am ready ... I only wanted to change the Text field. Then I'm ready. Ready = OK. My brain commands to my fingers: OK = Enter. But Enter doesn't work at this place. It jumps to the next field. Now I push Ctrl-O.
Yes, your right, I'm brain-damaged.    But it makes a lot of fun to be brain-damaged.   

Reply #22
Oh no, thats not right, it happens also when adding or deleting some text at the end of the Title field!

That's not possible, when you select the Title field the text disappear.
I'm only speaking of when it's "multiple values" in the field.

Of course it will take what's entered in the field if you hotkey OK, unfortunately even when it's blank.

Oh, and it's Alt+O.