Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Tweaking Album Artist tag to show blank in Playlist (Read 2494 times) previous topic - next topic

Tweaking Album Artist tag to show blank in Playlist

Hello,

I want to tweak the Album Artist tag so that it does not automatically substitute the Artist when the former is blank. I have added Album Artist as a column in my Playlist view. I want to sort the library so I can see when Album Artist is blank. I want to make the edits manually.

TIA

Re: Tweaking Album Artist tag to show blank in Playlist

Reply #1
Code: [Select]
$if(%album artist%,%album artist%)
is supposed to achieve this, and it does, but it doesn't seem to work for .cue sheets for me for some reason...

Reply #2
Okay, I've forgotten about the $meta function, it seems to do the trick.
So,
$if($meta(album artist),%album artist%)
should do exactly what you want

Reply #3
Try this
$if2($meta(album artist),)

Reply #4
Thanks for the reply, Pollux, but I am a dummy. Can you tell me exactly what to do? Does this piece of code need to be added somewhere? Or, does an existing code need to be edited?

TIA

Reply #5
Thanks for the reply, Pollux, but I am a dummy. Can you tell me exactly what to do? Does this piece of code need to be added somewhere? Or, does an existing code need to be edited?

TIA
In File=>preferences=>playlist view edit the contents of your "album artist" column. Replace %album artist% with the code (mine or jazzthieve's. His is neater, but basically it doesn't matter).

Reply #6
Thanks, Pollux! I went ahead and tried exactly that with jazzthieve's code, after checking the box for 'Use custom sort script' in the column properties. It worked.

But I have a lot of manual editing to do! Is there a way I can tell Foobar to batch edit all the empty Album Artist tags with the contents of the Artist tag? I need this only for the empty fields. Plex Media Server only reads Album Artist, and makes a mess of my library. I want to make it easier so the rest of the family can listen to music from the phone or the TV, without a computer.

Reply #7
You'd be better off with dedicated tag editing software. There are components for Foobar for that purpose though, like masstagger, So you might want to try that first.

Reply #8
Is there a way I can tell Foobar to batch edit all the empty Album Artist tags with the contents of the Artist tag?

Library menu > Search, enter the pattern -

"$meta(album artist)" MISSING

Select all the resulting tracks (click a track and Ctrl-A)

Right-click tracks > Properties

Right-click Album Artist field > 'Format from other fields', enter the pattern -

%artist%

Check the preview and OK, OK.

Reply #9
Thanks, Anamorphic! It's working, and it reads the database lightning fast! Amazing. Is there any limit to the awesomeness of Foobar?

Reply #10
Any idea why DSF files may not be taking tags? I have converted some DFF files to DSF for meta tags, but the tags are not sticking somehow.

Reply #11
foo_input_sacd does not support editing tags, to my knowledge. And neither does my component, foo_input_dsdiff.

Reply #12
foo_input_sacd does not support editing tags, to my knowledge. And neither does my component, foo_input_dsdiff.

It is not a consistent behavior oddly. Some files do take tags, others do not. The Masstagger tool wiped a lot of old tags out. I suspect they were not embedded tags, but a separate db Foobar maintains to keep the files orderly even if they cannot be tagged.

I had read somewhere that DFF files are not taggable but DSF files are. Now, I am using an app called EZ Meta Tag Editor (free trial) which is able to embed tags in both.

Reply #13
Just FYI for anyone reading about the Masstagger, it did the main thing I needed done. but it did not do something else. I tried to remove a string of words from the title field, and it returned 'No changes'. The string was '(2010 Digital Remaster)' embedded in the titles. It could be I was doing it wrong somehow.