Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Bug: Cannot bind F1 (Read 1521 times) previous topic - next topic

Bug: Cannot bind F1

It is impossible to bind F1 to anything. It always pops up the help. I want to bind F1 because I use F1/F2 for prev/next tab in all the applications I use. Also it's bad to waste one of the most accessible keys for something I'll never be using. I would like the help shortcut to show up in the keyboard shortcuts so I can remove it.

Re: Bug: Cannot bind F1

Reply #1
Not possible as it is hardcoded by default. You can use ALT+F1 instead as custom shortcut.
Somewhere, there's someone dying in a foreign land
Meanwhile, the world is crying stupidity of man
Tell me why, tell me why

Reply #2
Agree, it is hardcoded, and that is a bug.

Reply #3
It's not bug if it is intended that way.
Tell me why, tell me why

Reply #4
It's not intended that way.

Can you leave this thread please, thanks.

Reply #5

In fact @cheater is partially right. While F1 does open help on the preferences panel it does NOTHING outside that panel.
Therefore F1 is not bound to anything on the main window. It's only hardcoded in the preferences panel.

I doubt that's how it should work, since it makes no sense at all to forbid using F1 when it's not associated to anything during normal foobar usage. Let F1 do its thing in the preferences panel and do another thing otherwise.

Also, that's how it should work according to the wiki:

Avoiding conflicts
foobar2000 does not prevent you from assigning the same keyboard shortcut more than once. This is the intended design decision because it doesn't unnecessarily encumber you while redefining shortcuts. When a redundant definition occurs within foobar2000, you will see a warning below the list of definitions.
F1 is being forbidden for assigning because of a "potential conflict" (which is not real) but then it does not prevent you to assign the same shortcut more than once (?) . Not coherent.

Reply #6
Therefore F1 is not bound to anything on the main window. It's only hardcoded in the preferences panel.

Yes, sorry I mean exactly that, it is hardcoded in preferences panel only.

I'll gladly leave, but that's not how you should behave to users on this forum and in general.
Tell me why, tell me why

Reply #7

For users like these I sometimes wish there would be a block function on this board.

Reply #8

In fact @cheater is partially right. While F1 does open help on the preferences panel it does NOTHING outside that panel.

I doubt that's how it should work, since it makes no sense at all to forbid using F1 when it's not associated to anything during normal foobar usage. Let F1 do its thing in the preferences panel and do another thing otherwise.

Also, that's how it should work according to the wiki:

Avoiding conflicts
foobar2000 does not prevent you from assigning the same keyboard shortcut more than once. This is the intended design decision because it doesn't unnecessarily encumber you while redefining shortcuts. When a redundant definition occurs within foobar2000, you will see a warning below the list of definitions.
F1 is being forbidden for assigning because of a "potential conflict" (which is not real) but then it does not prevent you to assign the same shortcut more than once (?) . Not coherent.

Do people actually use F1 in the preferences?

I've been using foobar for close to 20 years and I've never heard of that tbh. Only started using it again recently and my keyboard usage pattern has changed, that's how I stumbled upon it.

I think only the dev can answer this one - that is if there's analytics or logging in place to tell how often that's being used.

Reply #9
I've tried to look if it's possible to set a binding on F1 by editing the config files, but they are binary. Is there some way to edit those files? A guide to the format maybe? Thanks.