Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Foobar2000 alternative for Linux (Read 102395 times) previous topic - next topic

Foobar2000 alternative for Linux

Are there any music players for Linux that are similar to Foobar2000?

Reply #1
Not yet. Lots of people are hoping.

Tip: Try "Linux AND Foobar2000" in that searchbox above....

"ONLY THOSE WHO ATTEMPT THE IMPOSSIBLE WILL ACHIEVE THE ABSURD"
        - Oceania Association of Autonomous Astronauts

Reply #2
Are there any music players for Linux that are similar to Foobar2000?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=209122"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

And what's the problem ??? foobar perfectly worx under Wine (I've tryed under FC2/3 and debian), so use it for ya pleasure 

Reply #3
Not yet. Lots of people are hoping. [a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=209170"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You forgot to add "in vain" to the end of your sentence.

Reply #4
I have never had a whole lot of luck with Wine but I haven't tried fb under it so I can't say for it.

Reply #5
I have never had a whole lot of luck with Wine but I haven't tried fb under it so I can't say for it.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=269093"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Wine rocks - it even runs Buzz, a highly unstable and cranky yet wonderful music program. Wine is definitely worth the bit of a push it sometimes needs to get going.

Reply #6
Sorry to revive this more than 1-year-old thread unasked for, I stumbled upon it when searching. But I just wanted to put in a word for amarok. It is so nicely scriptable; you can for example install a script that converts your playlist or individual tracks to MP3, AAC, MPC, you name it - or a script for replaygain or tag editing. Fix MP3s. Get tags. Guess tags. ABX-comparison.

It is not so stellarly far away from foobar2k in its scope.

See here: http://kde-apps.org/?xcontentmode=56

So, that off my chest, feel free to delete it, moderator. 

Reply #7
Yeah, I've been using amaroK for a while now, and it's a great program!
AmaroK shows all kinds of statistical data about your tracks (how many times you have played your tracks, your favourite tracks and so on...)
It also diskpalys CD covers and it has a web interface so amaroK finds lyrics for the track being played..

A great piece of software.

Reply #8
Another vote for Amarok here, It's a great little program. Shame it's for KDE which isn't my DE of choice but worth the load time all the same.

Reply #9
Just thought I'd point out that the 0.9 series will not install under wine - it complains of needing windows 2000 or newer even when wine is set to appear as windows 2000. Unless you have a copy of windows installed, or someone provides a non-installer download, foobar2000 on wine is becoming rather difficult to get working.

Reply #10
I didn't have much trouble installing foobar with Wine.  Even the latest RC versions.  Functionality is great, but playback jitters if I multitask.

So I use foobar to tag and sort.  And I use XMMS with an XMMS-MAD plugin that reads ReplayGain info from APEV2 tags to listen.

Just tried Amarok the other night, but couldn't figure out how to make the ReplayGain script to work.  It's probably just me.  It is a very pretty player, that's for sure.

Reply #11
By gum, it seems to work now.. could have been a wine bug (there are a few...). With wine 0.9.9 and a reuse of winecfg the installer seems happy (windows version set to win XP).

Reply #12
I used to ignore foobar2000, but after some time using, and discovering the features it carries, no way I'd go back to winamp or anything else... foobar2000 is simply the best audio player... and it's really a SHAME there's no linux port!

Reply #13
Well, its not very hard to get Foobar2000 running in WINE, infact really quite easy.. but if you are using GNOME or something else other than KDE and don't want to use amaroK, I really suggest Quod Libet, its a fanastic feature rich app with tag editing much like Foobar's too.

Reply #14
I came across Banshee the other day, and thought it a dead ringer for Foobar2000, but I couldn't google up a connection between the two, so perhaps it's just coincidental.

Reply #15
I came across Banshee the other day, and thought it a dead ringer for Foobar2000, but I couldn't google up a connection between the two, so perhaps it's just coincidental.
Banshee is a project in Mono (OS implementation of the .NET framework), oriented heavily on iTunes. It's simple, fast and supports my DAP, my favourite player ATM. Though it cannot compare to the broad scope of functions that foobar or amaroK offer.

Reply #16
Nothing I've found matches foobar atm.
hi

Reply #17
Nothing I've found matches foobar atm.

For playback, IMHO amaroK does great. But, for advanced tagging and stuff, fb2k under WINE (which works just perfectly for me) is the best option.

Reply #19
I personally don't really like Amarok so, while it's limited in features, I'm sticking to Rhythmbox (although having a look at Banshee, as well).

Reply #20
Sorry to grave dig, but I'm new to linux and have been a long time foobar lover.
I too have ended up with Amarak, and while I'm finding it great in many respects, the one thing I'm really missing is the extensibility of inputs that you get with foobar2000.

I want to be able to play all the emulated/video game music formats in addition to my MP3/M4A and OGG files...
Someone care to enlighten me on what would be best to play USF/SPC/VGM/GSF and Game Cube ADPCM streams?
At the moment I have Winamp5 running under wine, which I absolutely despise after using fb2k... but it has the plugin support for those formats an runs better than I can get fb2k running in wine.

Oh and I'm running Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn... because I'm a Linux noob!
So any alternatives, or can you guide me in getting fb2k to play nice with wine?

Reply #21
I never tried it in wine, but on Windows the application DeliPlayer is very good (unfortunately discontinued, but still very nice).

Reply #22
Sorry to grave dig, but I'm new to linux and have been a long time foobar lover.
I too have ended up with Amarak, and while I'm finding it great in many respects, the one thing I'm really missing is the extensibility of inputs that you get with foobar2000.

I want to be able to play all the emulated/video game music formats in addition to my MP3/M4A and OGG files...
Someone care to enlighten me on what would be best to play USF/SPC/VGM/GSF and Game Cube ADPCM streams?
At the moment I have Winamp5 running under wine, which I absolutely despise after using fb2k... but it has the plugin support for those formats an runs better than I can get fb2k running in wine.

Oh and I'm running Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn... because I'm a Linux noob!
So any alternatives, or can you guide me in getting fb2k to play nice with wine?

Since a couple of versions of wine ago I am using foobar2000 for playback in linux. No problems at all with skipping. Here is the post explaining how to get foobar2000 going in wine.

Reply #23
For me, a major problem is that a ton of my music collection was naively ripped to .ape (Monkey's Audio) many years before I considered Linux a viable desktop OS. I have tracked down a deb repository that packages libmac2, monkeys-audio, and xmms-mac, but XMMS is pretty ugly (with native x menus, etc.). I did then also find beep-media-player (bmp), which is kind of an xmms clone using gtk, and supports xmms plugins (so I can play .ape), but after using foobar2000 for many years on Windows, bmp just pales in comparison. (For the uninitiated, xmms, and subsequently bmp, are basically Winamp look-alikes.)

I've read that amarok can support xmms plugins, but like a few of the others above, I'm using Gnome, so I'd prefer a gtk solution if possible. I think the eventual answer is that I should write a script to convert all my .ape files to .flac (and just pray and hope that I don't mess something up and lose dozens of gigs of lossless rips I've probably spent a combined time measured in days ripping, etc.), but in the meantime, amarok is probably going to be my answer.

Reply #24
For me, a major problem is that a ton of my music collection was naively ripped to .ape (Monkey's Audio) many years before I considered Linux a viable desktop OS. I have tracked down a deb repository that packages libmac2, monkeys-audio, and xmms-mac, but XMMS is pretty ugly (with native x menus, etc.). I did then also find beep-media-player (bmp), which is kind of an xmms clone using gtk, and supports xmms plugins (so I can play .ape), but after using foobar2000 for many years on Windows, bmp just pales in comparison. (For the uninitiated, xmms, and subsequently bmp, are basically Winamp look-alikes.)

I've read that amarok can support xmms plugins, but like a few of the others above, I'm using Gnome, so I'd prefer a gtk solution if possible. I think the eventual answer is that I should write a script to convert all my .ape files to .flac (and just pray and hope that I don't mess something up and lose dozens of gigs of lossless rips I've probably spent a combined time measured in days ripping, etc.), but in the meantime, amarok is probably going to be my answer.

Install gmusicbrowser and compile the latest mplayer svn and ffpmeg svn. Then choose the mplayer backend in gmusicbrowser and you'll be able to play all your APE files.

Oh and its a GTK app too.