Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Sync with newer Apple devices??? (Read 5685 times) previous topic - next topic

Sync with newer Apple devices???

Hi guys. Since several weeks I'm looking for a possibility to sync my iPhone 4S with foobar.
I got the plugin foo_dop (iPod manager) and it works fine with older devices, such as the iPhone 3GS, iPod Classic 2G, iPod Nano 3g and so on. But when i try to sync with my iPhone, it keeps telling me, that there is no device connected.

So i guess it's no wonder, cause the last update of the plugin was 2011 ^^

Is there anything else to be able to sync the newer apple devices?
Cause i really hate this sh...tty iTunes thing.

Re: Sync with newer Apple devices???

Reply #1
You also need the iPhoneCalc lib for model 4 and up (get it from same page as the component

oh, and if you're running on a x64 OS you also may need to install the hybrid iTunes from here:
https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1816?locale=en_US

Reply #2
TYVM  :D
I'll try this out and well report asap.

I got already iTunes installed (just for the drivers), isn't the linked version the same?

Reply #3
Sadly, it's not working :(
Officially iOS5 and higher is not supported.
Even I installed the mentioned iTunes and the iPhoneCalc library there is no sync possible

Reply #4
Officially ? I'm running iOS 7.1.2 on my iPhone 4 since that's the last version it'll take, and it's working like a charm here. So it may not be 'official', it does work. For me at least.

I trust you enabled mobile device support in the preferences > tools  and the latest foo_dop (0.6.9.7)?

Other than that you might try your luck in the component thread.

Reply #5
Indeed I didn't ...
After enabling the option i get the following message:
Please install or reinstall Apple Mobile Device Support.
(Error: Failed to query registry for AMDS directory - Das System kann die angegebene Datei nicht finden.  )

But still ... I installed iTunes and I'm able to sync the iPhone with it

Reply #6
Weird, if it still keeps saying that then it looks like the iTunes setup didn't totally cleanup the previous installed 64bit iTunes version. I know I had a terrible time getting rid of it's traces even after uninstalling all components through "Programs and Features" and had to use MS Installer Clean-Up Utility twice to remove traces and force the installer to install all components (the Mobile Device Support error would not go away until after each iTunes component installed without errors - do check the install.log for this)

Not sure if the installer doesn't do this already itself, but could try running the setup as admin.

If all else fails, maybe skim through the component's topic I linked to earlier, maybe @musicmusic has a suggestion. After all since he's the author he'll know more about what might go wrong.

Reply #7
Syncing does not really work with iOS 5+. There is a workaround that has worked in the past which is to play a song on the device after syncing using iTunes, which I thought is what @Just_Addict was using: https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,45160.msg917992.html#msg917992

The error message suggests you still have the standard 64-bit version of Apple Mobile Device Support installed. Unless they've changed something, the version of AMDS in the version of iTunes linked is a 32-bit one with 64-bit device drivers. Along the lines of what @Just_Addict said, I'd try uninstalling all iTunes components from Programs and Features and then installing the version of iTunes linked.

As for adding proper support for newer versions of iOS, Apple completely changed the syncing mechanism, with a new set of obstacles designed to stop non-Apple software from directly syncing with their devices. It's not trivial, and adding support would take a lot of time :(

Reply #8
Indeed that is the way I get my iPhone to recognize any new additions I send to it. I just need to open iTunes, start playing any of the newly added tracks and they become immediately visible in my iPhone (now using it with Foobar2000 Mobile :D )

Sorry about forgetting to mention this... it's almost become second nature now, so didn't think mentioning it...

Reply #9
Hey guys ... it's me again ^^
I had to re-install my Windows once and since then i got one more problem:
I installed foobar2000, the plugin and the linked version of iTunes again. It does no error massages, neither while installing, nore while starting foobar. In File -> iPod -> Properdies i can see everything about my iPod 4G (and my iPhone 3GS! So this is not a problem only linked to newer devices).
But when i sync my music, foobar does 'something' -it's like it copies files for real- but afterwards there is no change to my playlists and contents on the devices. There are no new songs and no changes to the playlist at all.
Still, when i choose File -> iPod -> Load Library i can see all the new songs and changes in the playlist iPod  View.

Any idea about this?
I really dont want to use iTunes. It's sh!t compared to foobar ^^
-------------------------------
Edit:
Sorry, kinda 1 hour after searching for a solution and 1 minute after posting this question i found it here:
https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,45160.msg775379.html#msg775379
For all having the same problem just a "tl;dr" :
After sync with foobar you just have to start iTunes and check out the playlist, which now show up, but only in iTunes.
Sync the device afterwards, even there is kinda nothing to sync (THIS is important! You can see the step 4 of 4 is "update device" which means then, the internal database is updated).
Then tell iTunes to eject the device and ... ta-da ... here it goes. The content is updated.