Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foo_wave_seekbar (Read 807477 times) previous topic - next topic

foo_wave_seekbar

Reply #1000
Could one of you people that have the frontend settings trouble export a theme file (assuming you use the Default UI)?
That is, coincidentally, the sane way of preserving any settings.

I don't think I can, since I use CUI. :/
Hopefully someone else can!

foo_wave_seekbar

Reply #1001
Could one of you people that have the frontend settings trouble export a theme file (assuming you use the Default UI)?
That is, coincidentally, the sane way of preserving any settings.

I could export my theme now, but I don't have the problem anymore.

foo_wave_seekbar

Reply #1002
I had a problem regarding a "Nothing happens when I click Frontend settings", even though I had all the prerequisites installed. The problem got solved when I deleted the UI element, and added it again with the default settings. Now I can edit the frontend settings. =)

Whoa, I somehow missed this post.

Does this preserve the settings in use before the element was removed?
I don't really have to change anything right now, as it's set up how I want it, but I don't believe I have any way of copying the settings somewhere before replacing the element.

When you insert an UI element from scratch it adds itself with its default properties, so you'll lose the effect you had set =\

foo_wave_seekbar

Reply #1003
In the Default UI, a roundabout way to make an export is to:
  • Open a Scratchbox (View->Layout->Create scratchbox)
  • Enable Layout Editing Mode (View->Layout->Enable layout editing mode)
  • Rightclick the element you want to export and Copy UI Element
  • Rightclick the scratchbox and Paste UI Element
  • Export the theme from the scratchbox (Edit->Export)

When you want to restore the element:
  • Open a scratchbox
  • Import the theme you saved (Edit->Import)
  • Rightclick it, Copy UI Element
  • Enable Layout Editing Mode
  • Rightclick where you want it and Paste UI Element

This may sound like more work than it is, but it really isn't. As for you strange people who use CUI, whatever methods there are to export themes or single panels there will work, assuming there are such ways.
Stay sane, exile.

foo_wave_seekbar

Reply #1004
Please bear with me for my technical ignorance, but I cannot get this Seekbar to work at all, despite having installed it correctly. Maybe this comes down to my not having the right hardware, but I could not make out for sure from the online documentation as to whether I had or hadn't got the right hardware for it to operate. I have a recently purchased Nofan A40-Z68 computer with Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3 motherboard with Intel® Core™ i3-2125 CPU and on-board graphics described as Intel HD Graphics 2000 (GT2), and thus I have no dedicated graphics card. I'm running Win7 Home Premium x64 with the latest DirectX (11).

Although Waveform Seekbar is shown as installed in the list of Components, it shows no sign of operating - no pane, no option for it in the Toolbar drop-down right-click menu, and no error messages.  I do not know where to tell it to use one operating mode or another - i.e. if indeed any of its operating modes would work on my system. The only sign of its being installed, apart from its listing in the Components list is that there are relevant items in the Utilities submenu of the right-click menu on playlist items, and somewhere in Preferences there are a few Waveform Seekbar settings, but none that tell it which mode to operate in.

I would most appreciate any guidance as to how to get it operating, as it would be very useful.  -- Many thanks.
-- Philip.

foo_wave_seekbar

Reply #1005
It is an UI element in the Default UI, and a panel in Columns UI (pretty much the same thing, but different terms).
As such, it's something you add to your layout, the menu items and preferences you've found are just peripheral ones.

The method of adding an UI element/panel depends on which user interface you use, but in the default UI there's a decent introduction on the wiki.
If you're using the Columns UI interface, there's some preferences page in Display -> Columns UI -> Layout that has some kind of interactive editor of the tree of UI panels.

As for you graphics card, it should be plenty capable of supporting any of the modes, which you can choose from the Configure context menu once you've managed to add the UI element/panel. I've gone through a fair amount of pain to ensure that it works on Intel chips way inferior than the one you're sporting.
Stay sane, exile.

foo_wave_seekbar

Reply #1006
Thank you indeed, Zao.  I've now investigated further, and have found why I couldn't get the seekbar to appear. I was using the simple playlist view, and even in layout editing mode I had no option to add UI elements, and only an option to replace one UI element - the playlist itself, which wouldn't have been helpful. So, I tried switching to Slim View +tabs, and then I was able to replace one of the visualization tabs with the Waveform Seekbar, which does indeed work. I also then removed other elements I didn't want, so effectively having my simple playlist view but with added, Waveform Seekbar. At no point, however, did I get a right-click menu option to add a new UI element - only to cut, paste or replace - but at least I managed to work round that absence by replacing an unwanted element.

One remaining point is that the waveform display is decidedly blurred - enough for me to assume that something really isn't right and needs changing. Is there anything that I could do to improve that?

Anyway, even as it is, this is a tremendous enhancement of Foobar2000 for my purposes, now making it much easier to assess individual sound files (actually of thunderstorms!) that I'm shaping up and organizing for making up a series of audio CDs. -- So, thanks again, Zao!
-- Philip.

foo_wave_seekbar

Reply #1007
FYI for your future configuration needs, there is nothing inherent about simple playlist view that does not allow full customization. You were using a layout with only one panel filled with the playlist. No place to add something without replacing what was there. What you would do to add a panel is temp replace the playlist with a splitter of your choice which would then give you multiple locations to add panels. Then add back the playlist in one panel and your seekbar in another.

foo_wave_seekbar

Reply #1008
FYI for your future configuration needs, there is nothing inherent about simple playlist view that does not allow full customization. You were using a layout with only one panel filled with the playlist. No place to add something without replacing what was there. What you would do to add a panel is temp replace the playlist with a splitter of your choice which would then give you multiple locations to add panels. Then add back the playlist in one panel and your seekbar in another.

Thanks, tpijag. That makes sense.

Zao, I got sharper though not fully sharp rendering of the waveform display by switching to Direct2D 1.0 mode, though I would prefer a fully sharp display of the solid black waveform that I get with Direct3D 9.0C mode. Anyway, great to have this feature, even with the display not being quite 100% yet.
-- Philip.

foo_wave_seekbar

Reply #1009
Hi!
I recently started to use waveform_seekbar and it, so far, seems pretty great. I've read a lot of what was said on here to figure out how to use it but I still have a few problems. That is, I tried to achieve the same look as Zao did in his first picture post of the component (the one that had only the edges of the wave color and the center was the background color). I couldn't figure out how to do that.
Secondly I wanted to know if it was possible to expand the waveform_seekbar, while in the CUI toolbar, to take up two rows. Just to assure clarification, what I mean by expand is that it expands vertically in the toolbar as opposed to the normal vertical expansion.
If these question were posted and answered within the 46 pages of the component I apologize for the repetition and hope not to enrage anyone.

foo_wave_seekbar

Reply #1010
I've got no idea how to do anything with the CUI toolbar, as I do not use it. If the toolbar supports vertical spanning, it probably works with whatever vertical spanning it has. If not, no.
Stay sane, exile.

foo_wave_seekbar

Reply #1012
okay, thanks!

how about getting the colors in the actual wave to only have the edges of wave colored and the middle the color of the background?
http://www.acc.umu.se/~zao/seekbar19.png

like the second one down that has the green highlight

and yea
I tried that before but wasn't to pleased with it so thats is why i asked again but thanks!

foo_wave_seekbar

Reply #1013
The second one uses the Direct2D frontend. They're intentionally different to get some variations in.
I wrote a Direct3D effect that renders a smoother line as well which I currently use - https://gist.github.com/2477148.
Stay sane, exile.

foo_wave_seekbar

Reply #1014
Love that this is even possible!! But I have some feedback.

I was hoping this would be fixed in an update, but I can see that you updated the plugin today.

My wish is to change the algorithm a bit to kinda reflect the same output as for example zippyshare does. Why? Because you really can't see where "things" happen in the music.

Take this track for example: http://www66.zippyshare.com/v/77531586/file.html
At 3m1s it gets brutal. But with your plugin you can't see that.

I also feel that the waveform isn't very detailed, or super detailed (depends on how you see it) instead of showing what's more interested. The waveform is "thick" all the way instead of showing the variations more brutally. Again, look at zippyshares for a reference.

Hope you can do anything about it. And keep up the good work! Love the idea and possibility to do this!! :-)

foo_wave_seekbar

Reply #1015
I just noticed the capture screenshot option. (It might be there for a while) What does it do? Other than the gui freeze I didn't notice anything.

foo_wave_seekbar

Reply #1016
I accidentally put the screenshot functionality in the latest (0.2.21) build as I rushed it out to fix a resume-from-hibernate/sleep crash.

The screenshot functionality is controlled via advanced preferences.
There's a size setting and a titleformat string for naming the file.
If the path is just a filename, it ends up as a PNG in My Pictures.
If it's a full path, it probably ends up in that location with that name.

This functionality only works with the Direct3D9 frontend, as I haven't been arsed to implement it for the other ones. Expect it to be unstable.
Stay sane, exile.

foo_wave_seekbar

Reply #1017
I accidentally put the screenshot functionality in the latest (0.2.21) build as I rushed it out to fix a resume-from-hibernate/sleep crash.

This functionality only works with the Direct3D9 frontend, as I haven't been arsed to implement it for the other ones. Expect it to be unstable.

It seems to work fine.

On thing that I miss is the auto renaming feature.

foo_wave_seekbar

Reply #1018
What auto renaming feature? You can use whatever titleformatting string you want (probably).
Stay sane, exile.

foo_wave_seekbar

Reply #1019
Ah my problem was that for some reason all of the files weren't being read in correctly so I re-downloaded and copy pasted them back into the components folder and restarted foobar. It now recognizes a difference between the GDI, direct3 9 and the direct2
before, it was just rerouting to the GDI

foo_wave_seekbar

Reply #1020
It seems to work fine.

For me, it always exports the same waveform, although I wanted to export another waveform. It simply generates another PNG with the Name of the target waveform but with the image of an earlier waveform.

foo_wave_seekbar

Reply #1021
Ah my problem was that for some reason all of the files weren't being read in correctly so I re-downloaded and copy pasted them back into the components folder and restarted foobar. It now recognizes a difference between the GDI, direct3 9 and the direct2
before, it was just rerouting to the GDI

Please do not attempt to install components manually, and definitely do not paste them into the 'components' directory.
Components have for a good while now been installable through the Preferences->Components page, either by dragging the archive directly onto that window, or by pushing the Install button there.
Manual installations are error-prone, as you might've noticed
Stay sane, exile.

foo_wave_seekbar

Reply #1022
For me, it always exports the same waveform, although I wanted to export another waveform. It simply generates another PNG with the Name of the target waveform but with the image of an earlier waveform.

Are you actually playing the track you're trying to export, or just selecting it? The dumper only dumps the one currently rendered.
Stay sane, exile.

foo_wave_seekbar

Reply #1023
Yeah. I'm playing it. That's the way, I expected its behaviour.

foo_wave_seekbar

Reply #1024

Can you remove the "Capture screenshot" entry from the context menu when in GDI or Direct2D mode?