Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: [TOS #8] Coding for Public Distribution (Read 11327 times) previous topic - next topic

[TOS #8] Coding for Public Distribution

Reply #25
BTW, transcoding sucks. With 80 gig hard drives going cheap, I don't know why anyone bothers risking sound quality instead of re-ripping.

One word: convience. I'm my experience, transcoding MPC --insane to MP3 ~128kbps is great for casual listening on a portable.
The sky is blue.

Reply #26
Originally posted by rjamorim
I few minutes ago, Randar contacted me on IRC asking me to post a reply from him. I won't post it here, because I believe this issue has gone a little too far, but I will make it available at my server:

http://www.inf.ufpr.br/~rja00/randar.txt
Hmm, I don't know if it's such a good idea to feed the troll. Anyway, it would be ok, if randar/FFC had honest goals, but his goals seems to be just trolling and trying to waste time of other people.
He somehow got in to #project_mayhem and admitted me his "3 months testing" is just theoretical speculation and he just wants to see how "his lines" compare to APS.

Of course the top of the list consisted of the few known APS problem clips reported in mp3 technical/quality forum thread (http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/showth...s=&threadid=874), using even the exact wordings. Except castanets, but I would also rate castanets better with APS than "Lameline 2". APS is better with the slow hits and in the end of the fast section.

His other clips starting from wzr-old.flac well, I guess those have to be tested against "Lameline 2". It's however weird that the explanations start to be very simplified.

"Lameline 1", may cause big problems because of gpsycho and noise-shaping type2 used together. randar/ffc probably didn't know that nspsytune defaults to ns-type 2 and using -Z switches it to ns-type 1. But gpsycho defaults to ns-type 1 and using -Z switches it to type 2. There's gonna be problems with gpsycho and ns-type 2...
Also just noticed that "Lameline 1" doesn't use vbr-mtrh at all. Correct switch would be --vbr-mtrh, not -vbr-mtrh.  Now "Lameline 1" uses vbr-old. 

This kind of trolling is not the correct method that should be used for improving things. Though I'm not sure randar/ffc's idea is to provide better commandlines, rather just cause confusion and waste time of others.

Fortunately Lame is so good, that there's not awful damage done even if people would use the "Lameline 2".
Juha Laaksonheimo

Reply #27
Hmm, seems that randar/ffc's clips are not available anymore. Wonder why..
I managed to download only 3 samples
do_harm.flac
dm-mph.flac
ae-vose.flac

Did anybody else got the other files?
Juha Laaksonheimo

Reply #28
LOL, randar/ffc has moved to r3mix-forum now.
http://66.96.216.160/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board...&num=1019461432

"Lamelines" are in his sig, and of course now Lameline1 has been changed: Now it's --vbr-mtrh and -Z has disappeared, anything to do with my critique above??..
Juha Laaksonheimo

Reply #29
(which will now be 
referred to as merely the lamelines; look for --lameline 1 and --lameline 2 to soon appear 
in a lame build nearest you) in one short section of a single sample

MegaLOL 

It's sad that we don't have a wether channel in denmark; now I have to wait for the news to see if hell actually have frose over.

Reply #30
Originally posted by Jansemanden

It's sad that we don't have a wether channel in denmark; now I have to wait for the news to see if hell actually have frose over.

Look out the window and check if pigs can fly.

--
GCP