Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: The ATSurround Processor (Read 33395 times) previous topic - next topic

The ATSurround Processor

Plugin description:
Decoding mode: Reproduces surround information present in music/audio stereo sources. Functionality is similar to Dolby®-type decoders (matrix decoding). Makes full use of your 5.1 speaker system. It's more then just an upmixer, just try it for yourself.

Headphone mode: Places you into a virtualized soundfield when wearing headphones. Surrounds really sound like they're coming from the rear! Also helps to prevents listening fatigue.

Encoding mode: Encodes multichannel material into 2 channels which can be decoded by a surround decoder like Dolby® Pro-Logic (and of course ATSurround Processor itself).

Project website:
http://www.andrewlabs.com

Latest version:
0.1.4 (22nd May 2006)
Andrew Tan

The ATSurround Processor

Reply #1
Thanks for the update and keep on the good job.

The ATSurround Processor

Reply #2
i love this plugin, keep up the good work!

The ATSurround Processor

Reply #3
I've uploaded version 0.1.1 of ATSurround Processor.

This version adds a headphone mode. It is designed to replicate the effect of listening from live speakers and remove the "in-head" effect of listening to headphones.

Get it from the project website: http://www.andrewlabs.com

Changes are listed below:
Fixed certain configurations of speaker muting in ATSurround+C mode broken.
Fully merged code base for foobar2000 & Winamp versions of ATSurround.
Added new ATSurround Headphone mode.
Decoding optimizations.
Andrew Tan

The ATSurround Processor

Reply #4
WOW!  Just found this plugin...  This is excellent.

I had a few questions...

What is the difference between the normal and inverted LFE.  Seems to me that the inverted is more DC corrected or centered and if so why not use it all the time.  I can't tell any difference when I listen to them both.

Is any of the LFE still in the other channels or is it strickly cut out based on the LFE freq. setting?

I've tried both the ATSurround-AS and the ATSurround-ASr modes.  Seems to me that with the ASr mode there is either a higher default gain or there is more high freq. sound left in the rear channels.

Thanks again,  this plugin rocks!

The ATSurround Processor

Reply #5
What is the difference between the normal and inverted LFE.  Seems to me that the inverted is more DC corrected or centered and if so why not use it all the time.  I can't tell any difference when I listen to them both.
This setting is dependant on your speaker setup. Some people get better results with the option on, some off. Being technical, inverted LFE shifts the phase of bass information by 180 degrees. Usually, the setting which produces the deepest sounding bass is right for you.

Is any of the LFE still in the other channels or is it strickly cut out based on the LFE freq. setting?
Low frequencies from the front 3 channels are combined into the LFE channel. This leaves only high frequencies in those channels.

I've tried both the ATSurround-AS and the ATSurround-ASr modes.  Seems to me that with the ASr mode there is either a higher default gain or there is more high freq. sound left in the rear channels.
The -AS mode produces only mono surround. The rear left and rear right channels play exactly the same thing. The -ASr mode is more advanced and decodes sound seperately for the rear channels. The -ASr mode is capable of handling higher frequencies for the rear channels, which may explain the difference in sounds.
Andrew Tan

The ATSurround Processor

Reply #6
@atjs

Thanks for the info.

The ATSurround Processor

Reply #7
When can we expect to see a version for 0.9?

The ATSurround Processor

Reply #8
Hi,

Sorry for the delay in replying. Been busy, with exams coming up, and all the other stuff.

I'm compiling what I hope to be the final build of the ATSurround plugin for version 0.9 of foobar2k even as I'm typing this. If all goes well, and I don't discover any last minute bugs, you should expect to see it a couple of hours from now.

Cheers!
Andrew Tan

The ATSurround Processor

Reply #9
Version 0.1.3 of ATSurround Processor is available for foobar2000 version 0.9.

No other changes were made.
Andrew Tan

The ATSurround Processor

Reply #10
@atjs, Thanks for the update.

The ATSurround Processor

Reply #11
Version 0.1.3a of ATSurround Processor is available.

Changes made:
Fixed audio glitch when stopping.
Equalized volume between modes.
Andrew Tan

The ATSurround Processor

Reply #12
I like it very much, especially it can focus the vocal on my centre speaker, where music normally from the rear speakers.

thanks very much for this great dsp.

The ATSurround Processor

Reply #13
I like it very much, especially it can focus the vocal on my centre speaker, where music normally from the rear speakers.

thanks very much for this great dsp.
Glad you like it!
Andrew Tan

The ATSurround Processor

Reply #14
atjs, this plugin is very good!
Thanx atjs.
I'm Korean.
My english is poor. : (

The ATSurround Processor

Reply #16
This is pretty cool.

One minor thing though:  trying to decode a file to wav using this DSP while also listening to a track using the DSP causes both the currently playing track and wave file to be horribly corrupted.

The ATSurround Processor

Reply #18
wow, thank you so much.  my logitech z-5500's are just singing along with foobar's tunes now :).

The ATSurround Processor

Reply #19
@atjs

Tried your new version with fb2k v0.9.4 and it seems to cause foobar to continue running in the background (hidden) after exiting.  If you check task manager, foobar still shows up as running.  If I remove the plugin, the problem is resolved.  The older version, v0.1.5 work OK.  I'm running winxp on a P4.

Thanks.  BTW Great plugin otherwise!

The ATSurround Processor

Reply #20
I'll have a look at it. Thanks for your feedback
Andrew Tan

The ATSurround Processor

Reply #21
This is great, such an improvement from my the wasted potential of using stereo on a 5.1, and SO much better than upmixing to 4 channels.

Thanks, it's brought new breath to my listening!

The ATSurround Processor

Reply #22
Apparently does not work with Kernel Streaming.

Also, how to unload it - I get the icon in the taskbar even if I don't have it active in the DSP list.

Thanks!

MRK

The ATSurround Processor

Reply #23
Hello, I have noticed an unwanted sound when that seems to be connected with the use of  the plugin.  It is a 5-sec. "whooshing" or "rushing" sound that recurs every 25 sec.

It occurs under these conditions:
1) A Playlist (for either a CD or streaming audio) is shown.
2) The "Stereo Mix" is active (as shown in "Sound"->"Recording" in Control Panel) (many audio recording programs need "Stereo Mix" turned on) .
3) The AndrewLabs ATSurround DSP Manager is selected as an "Active DSP", whether the selected processing mode in its configuration panel is "Bypass" or "ATSurround Encoder (2/0)=L,R".
4) Once the first choice you select is playing, you then change to another selection in the playlist (and to others after that).

Removing AndrewLabs ATSurround from the list of Active DSP's results in the 5-second rushing sound disappearing when different selections are played.

I have a Dell Vostro 220, which has Realtek HD Audio hardware, running Vista Home Basic.  According to Dell and Vista's Device Manager, I have the latest sound driver(s) installed for Realtek.  I have a 2-channel sound system.  I'm running the latest version of Foobar2000.

Thanks!

The ATSurround Processor

Reply #24
If you are using the newest version from the website, it adds noise after playing one track if you don't purchase the full version.