Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Latest In_faad.dll From 8-26 Is Buggy (Read 8565 times) previous topic - next topic

Latest In_faad.dll From 8-26 Is Buggy

Very prominent and obvious decoding artifacts not present in earlier versions. I first noticed it on a Bach piece by Yo Yo Ma. Recommend you don't inform RJAMORIM about this as he may call you nasty names and stuff.

Reply #1
I deleted your double posting.

Reply #2
The post in the technical forum was intentional. If you were going to delete one, I'd recommend this one, but too late now, I'll have to post again in technical.

Reply #3
Very prominent and obvious decoding artifacts not present in earlier versions.

Oh, yeah, so says the guy that doesn't even have the original to compare!

And WTF are you saying about earlier versions? You didn't even know where to download in_faad!!!

Just FYI, FAAD2's accuracy has been measured and it complies with the MPEG standards. I.E: Decoding is flawless.

Reply #4
Actually, I have to agree with Keynes. The latest CVS sweep produces compiles of ALL modules that generate awful output. I was going to mention it myself, but I assumed as it was a beta, it was going to be fixed fairly rapidly.

Reply #5
Actually, I have to agree with Keynes. The latest CVS sweep produces compiles of ALL modules that generate awful output. I was going to mention it myself, but I assumed as it was a beta, it was going to be fixed fairly rapidly.

Yes, But that's a commit that Menno did recently, in the integerization process.

The 08-26 CVS is clean - and that's why I didn't update in_faad yet.

Reply #6
Just FYI, FAAD2's accuracy has been measured and it complies with the MPEG standards. I.E: Decoding is flawless.

Actually, just to tease you: Ivan found a bug in FAAD2 (and probably in faad) that is preventing faad from decoding Fhg files with PNS properly.
Menno has been informed.
Juha Laaksonheimo

Reply #7
Actually, just to tease you: Ivan found a bug in FAAD2 (and probably in faad) that is preventing faad from decoding Fhg files with PNS properly.
Menno has been informed.

Yes, I know of that bug. I was referring to LC files (That's how the Cello Suites were encoded)

Reply #8
Yes, this is a problem - because Envivio and  Apple (Dolby)  are decoding these files without problems - FAAD2 generates some strange clicks.

I believe that  Menno will resolve the issue soon 

Reply #9
Compared to the August 9 build, the August 26 build sounds like someone transcoded an Xing 64kbps encoding to 320, then zipped it and stuck it on a floppy disk that was left on the dash of a car over the weekend which was subsequently presented to a data recovery company who extracted the file and then someone at work stole the file and transcoded it to WMA and then finally back to AAC.
You can't kill the Elephant.

Reply #10
sounds horrible!

Reply #12
Well, you shouldn't think that every change I make is ready for release versions.
I'll fix it really soon.

Menno

Reply #13
Well, you shouldn't think that every change I make is ready for release versions.
I'll fix it really soon.

Menno

That's right. But the binaries which are online should be working..

Seems that Roberto did change at least the WinAmp plugin already in the rarewares page in all the silence.. 
faad2 commandline aug26 is buggy too, so that binary should be taken down also.
Juha Laaksonheimo

Reply #14
Recommend you don't inform RJAMORIM about this as he may call you nasty names and stuff.

Sadly for you, Roberto can read English    Secondly I'll call you a dribbler as he didn't!
< w o g o n e . c o m / l o l >

Reply #15
The code in CVS now is fixed, I think (let's stay careful).
There was a bug in the new filterbank that produced some awful clicks on start transition windows.
The other bug had to do with the integerisation process, I thought I didn't change anything else in the floating point code, but I mad a little mistake. Fixed point still sounds like crap now, but floating point should be better now.

Menno

Reply #16
The code in CVS now is fixed, I think (let's stay careful).

That seemed to do the trick!!  Everything seems OK now, thanks Menno.

Reply #17
New FAAD binaries available at RareWares.

Reply #18
New FAAD binaries available at RareWares.

New Winamp3 plugin makes Winamp crash when trying to play any other format but AAC and both Winamp2 and Winamp3 plugins still decode with bad quality.

Reply #19
Verified. Do NOT use Aug30 release of FAAD from Rarewares either..

Absolutely horrible quality still... Something is badly wrong there.
This SHOULD be so obvious that no example sample is needed. I mean this is obviously very audbily with any track.

Seems like it's still similarly buggy. Lots of high frequencies missing etc.. Spectral view shows similar behaviour like Aug26 build... Quality with Psytel -normal is absolutely horrendous with this decoder build.
Juha Laaksonheimo

Reply #20
It looks like the same bug. Here's a graph of working plugin vs. latest rarewares plugin: http://www.saunalahti.fi/~cse/bug.png

Ps. Plugin crashes if files have id3v1 tags.

Reply #21
These plugins were made from today's CVS sweep and work fine here (except I don't have Winamp 3 loaded, so that may, or may not, be OK!).

Temporarily, you can get them here.

Reply #22
Now the files sound normal.

Reply #23
Do these new plugins have any new quality related features added to them? Or is it still safe to use the August 9 builds?

Cheers
AgentMil
-=MusePack... Living Audio Compression=-

Honda - The Power of Dreams

Reply #24
Now the files sound normal.

What in the flaming f**k...

Oh, well. I'm clueless.

Will do a clean CVS sweep and upload new binaries again. God help they will come out fine this time.