Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foo_musicbrainz (Read 281307 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: foo_musicbrainz

Reply #475
As I've stated at least 2-3x before, this would be great, but there isn't a clean way to do it.

This is a doddle to implement. Just rip the artist/album dialog code out of the existing context menu switch statement and dump it in a static method that can be called from anywhere. It only needs the handle list as input - something you still have when threaded_process operation is finished inside the on_done callback. You still have the same handle list there as m_handles. Currently it displays a popup box if there are no results. Now you just check the type and if was discid, you spawn the artist/album lookup from there.

Reply #476
I have a large number of albums in my collection (>5k). I find it impossible to remember if I have tried and failed or not tried at all  - to tag each album. It's clear when a tagging operation succeeds. Can anyone think of a way I can know which albums have previously failed so  that I don't waste time and resources retrying to retag these?

Reply #478
I have a large number of albums in my collection (>5k). I find it impossible to remember if I have tried and failed or not tried at all  - to tag each album. It's clear when a tagging operation succeeds. Can anyone think of a way I can know which albums have previously failed so  that I don't waste time and resources retrying to retag these?
Is there a field that foo_musicbrainz adds, that you don't add manually? Something like MUSICBRAINZ_ARTISTID or MUSICBRAINZ_RELEASEGROUPID is a good idea. Then just create an auto-playlist for files missing that tag:

Code: [Select]
%MUSICBRAINZ_RELEASEGROUPID% MISSING

Reply #479
I thought that was a given already because there is no distinction between what has been looked up in the past and failed and what has never been tried which I thought was the point of the question.

Obviously you can only take action from this point forward. I really hope they're not asking for some voodoo magic like when people expect foo_playcount to know when music was added before they installed the component.

Reply #480
I thought that was a given already because there is no distinction between what has been looked up in the past and failed and what has never been tried which I thought was the point of the question.
Yeah, if that's what is wanted, there's nothing can be done without user interaction/tagging. I was assuming that tried and failed & untried were basically the same, because you'd probably want to try again in the future, but you can obviously make the case that you wouldn't want to try again as it's likely to continue failing.

Reply #481
Thanks for your replies. My ideal would be for the component to write a tag like MB_FAILED_AT and for this to be a date field when the last attempt failed. It would then be easy to see what I haven't tried and what/when the attempt failed. However I can live with a manual intervention as per @snotlicker's idea.

Reply #482
In future, stick to direct questions/requests instead of vaguely beating around the bush like you did...  :P

Can anyone think of a way I can know which albums have previously failed so  that I don't waste time and resources retrying to retag these

Reply #483
Steady on there fella!
I didn't want to appear as though I was demanding my solution. I wanted to get other people's ideas of how to solve it. Which you answered and your solution was quite acceptable, It's a shame your attitude isn't!

Reply #484
I guess this little guy :P means nothing to you.

If I was being my usual snarky self I would have suggested you contribute something back by adding those releases to musicbrainz for the benefit of everyone instead of just taking all the time.

Reply #485
Does this plug-in support SACD iso tagging?

Reply #487
Will be possible to select the tag name (like album type and status) of the rest of tags like label, catalog, etc.

And about the dates.

I would like to have a structure like:

DATE:                                                      YYYY format of original release date, if not YYYY of release date
RELEASE DATE:                                       YYYY-MM-DD format (if available), if not YYYY
ORIGINAL RELEASE DATE:                      YYYY.MM-DD format (if available), if not YYYY

And have all 3 tag written even if are the same.

How can I do it?

Reply #488
I'm attaching a 64bit build of my own personal copy.

IMPORTANT THINGS TO NOTE:
-it has none of the features @MordredKLB added after I abandoned my own development
-it's accessible via the context menu>MusicBrainz64, not under Tagging
-check this Preferences dialog to see if you can live with the options (or lack of)

...if not, simply do not use it.  :))

Reply #489
I already ****ed up. The first copy I uploaded had some very personal to me code that checked all the country codes and preferred displaying GB if it was present. I've removed that and restored the default behaviour.

Reply #490
I got a crash report from @NetRanger  - I hope this fixes it. If not, just bin it.  :P

edit: repeating my original post for those who missed it/aren't scrolling up...
I'm attaching a 64bit build of my own personal copy.

-it has none of the features @MordredKLB added after I abandoned my own development
-check this Preferences dialog to see if you can live with the options (or lack of)

...if not, simply do not use it.  :))

Reply #492
RE: I am using foo_musicbrainz 0.4.7 by MordredKLB.

Not sure if this was by design, or overlooked, or what. But from the POV of the end-user, this component has a limitation of providing a single MB Album Type value when multiple values exist. For example, on this release there are multiple values:
Code: [Select]
Type: Album + Compilation
and foo_musicbrainz is limited to one:

I scraped the same album with Picard to gauge if this was typical behavior, but Picard scrapes both Album Type values.

Reply #494
I've updated my 64bit version with support for secondary types. Also, the tagger dialog size and position is remembered.

And again with the original quote....

Reply #496
Eternally grateful that you've made this available for v2, it's one of the functions I rely on as I use foobar more for media management than a player.

I've just tried it on a couple of discs and am I right in thinking that AlbumArtist is only populated if there's another guest artist on the album, otherwise it's left blank?
Is there any reason you don't use Artists (assuming that's available via the API) instead of Artist because - as far as I know - its a multivalue version of Artist?
My only ask would be for Artist Sort Order as that's a pain to populate, but I appreciate that this is your personal version so feel free to ignore that :-)

Reply #497
I've posted a new 64bit version with support for writing ARTISTS as multi-value. Also ORIGINAL RELEASE DATE can always be written even if it's the same as DATE. If desired, it can be turned off to behave like previous versions.

https://marc2k3.github.io/component/musicbrainz64/

And yes, ALBUM ARTIST will not be written if ARTIST is the same for all tracks. That's why %album artist% exists and pretty much every other media player handles it in the same graceful manner.

And I am ignoring that sort order stuff. It's a royal PITA. :P

Reply #499
I've posted a new 64bit version with support for writing ARTISTS as multi-value. Also ORIGINAL RELEASE DATE can always be written even if it's the same as DATE. If desired, it can be turned off to behave like previous versions.
Looks good to me. Thanks for that.

And I am ignoring that sort order stuff. It's a royal PITA. :P
To do it manually yes but that's what MusicBrainz is for, unless you mean to use, but I'd argue that seaching for artists by first name is much more clumsy. It probably depends where you're from; in the UK we always had our phone books in lastname, firstname format so it feels awkward searching any other way, a bit like DD/MM/YY vs MM/DD/YY I suppose.