Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Dolby Headphone Wrapper DSP (Read 337413 times) previous topic - next topic

Dolby Headphone Wrapper DSP

Reply #200
A 6.1 dts File from a video DVD can be played with Dolby Headphone. But why can't be a 6.1 Wave File played with Dolby Headphone?
What differences in behavior are there? I don't have a 6.1 file to check.

Nevertheless, I know that the default format with biggest number of channels supported by the library is 5.1 (FL, C, FR, SL, SR, LFE). And anything else with greater number of channels will most probably use this format with mismatched input data and therefore result in random noise (or worse).

Playing a 6.1 wave file is not possible. In Power DVD you can't choose Dolby Headphone and in foobar Dolby Headphone have no effect.

With  DTS 6.1 Dolby Headphone have no problems and it really seems that Dolby Headphone places the sound more behind you with the  extra back center channel in some scenes, compared to the ac3 file. Maby it  mixes the extra channel to  the SL, and SR or somthing else?

Reply #201
OK, thanks.

First, now I see a relevant part in foo_dsp_dolbyhp's code - if there are any more channels than the 5.1 layout described above, it's turned off and a helpful message is logged to the console.

Second, the libdca library, which foo_input_dts for fb2k uses, doesn't really decode anything more than a 3 front + 2 rear + LFE. Or do you actually see 7 channels for example in the status bar when you play such a file?

I'm not even sure if the DTS codec we are talking about can encode more than 5.1 input signal. From reading random pages on the Internets, it seemed like only some industry-grade DTS-ES extensions can do that.
Full-quoting makes you scroll past the same junk over and over.

Reply #202
OK, thanks.

First, now I see a relevant part in foo_dsp_dolbyhp's code - if there are any more channels than the 5.1 layout described above, it's turned off and a helpful message is logged to the console.

Second, the libdca library, which foo_input_dts for fb2k uses, doesn't really decode anything more than a 3 front + 2 rear + LFE. Or do you actually see 7 channels for example in the status bar when you play such a file?

I'm not even sure if the DTS codec we are talking about can encode more than 5.1 input signal. From reading random pages on the Internets, it seemed like only some industry-grade DTS-ES extensions can do that.

You're right. I looked at the DVD again. It  is only the DTS-ES Matrix surround and therefore only 5.1 with  the BC channel encoded from the BL and  BR channel  Only  Powerd DVD shows it as 6.1 and so I thougt that there are 7 discrete Channels but there only 6 Channels.

Reply #203
Where can you find the newer version of dolbyhph.dll?

thanks in advance

anvil

Reply #204
Works great! A lot better and more realistic sound than SoudBlasters X-Fi CMSS-3D (Headphone).
Now I can enjoy my HD 650 even more.

/Q/;

Reply #205
Where can you find the newer version of dolbyhph.dll?

thanks in advance

anvil

What do you mean with the new version?

In Power DVD 8-10 the version 1.20.0.276 is included. 

Reply #206
Strange,, thats what I thought.  I just down loaded PowerDVD 10 and it is ver 1.10

thanks.  any more thoughts here?

anvil..

Reply #207
I've installed the Dll, but I don't see any changes in Foobar. I'm using Windows 7 64 bit. I'm using Foobar version 1.1.2

How do you install it properly, I followed the Foobar FAQ and it seems to be installed but I can't find the plugin, where is it? What could be the problem?

Where can I find the settings window shown in this pic?: http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?ti...e:Dsp_dolby.PNG

Reply #208
I've installed the Dll, but I don't see any changes in Foobar. I'm using Windows 7 64 bit. I'm using Foobar version 1.1.2

How do you install it properly, I followed the Foobar FAQ and it seems to be installed but I can't find the plugin, where is it? What could be the problem?

Where can I find the settings window shown in this pic?: http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?ti...e:Dsp_dolby.PNG

Preferences--Components--Install;or put the dll into the components directory.

Look at:Preferences-Playback-DSP-Manager-Available DSPs. There should be the Dolby Headphone Wrapper dsp.

To use the dolby headphone wrapper you must set the location of the dolbyhph.dll  in the menu.

Reply #209
How do I configure the plugin exactly? In preferences there is no way to configure. Thanks

Edit: HAHA nevermind  I figured it out. Thanks for the awesome plugin!

Reply #210
I got error message in the console: Error: [foo_dsp_dolbyhp] Selected DLL doesn't export required functions, check it's a real Dolby Headphone DLL or select another one. The status message in the DSP settings says also Invalid DLL; required functions missing. What I did wrong? Using latest versions of both foobar 1.1.5 and foo_dsp_dolbyhp 1.4.1

Reply #211
You also need DolbyHph.dll

Reply #212
Thank you for this awesome plugin.

It sounds almost exactly like my Xonar DX Dolby Headphone function, but this one is slightly less lively in DH2 mode. It's also much quieter without dynamic compression. I wonder if the Xonar card does dynamic compression automatically?

But overall the sound quality is very good, and sometimes preferable to the sound card's DH implementation.

It's nice to have this for sound cards that don't have this feature.

Reply #213
Thank you @Hancoque
I am using your 2ch to 6ch plugin that you made in 2008 for dolby headphone wrapper.
It is the best way.

Reply #214
One Question, I got the Asus Xonar DX with the implemented Dolby Headphone, which DSPs or what configuration do I need for foobar2k to get the optimal sound out of it? I guess I don't need this wrapper?

Reply #215
You can use the Dolby Prologic upmix of your Xonar card for Stereo music. When you want to use a upmix dsp in foobar like  the Channel mixer  you have to activate  6 Channel input  in your Xonar audiocard or use  asio or wasapi output in foobar. 

I use the Xonar U1 with Dolby Headphone and this dsp for "optimal sound":  Equalizer, Neural Upmix, Matrix Mixer -- Dolby Headphone.

Reply #216
Hi, I just discovered that great plugin, and basically it works for me, but it has only minimal effect.

Contrary to most users (it seems), I do not want to upmix stereo sources. I would like to listen to real 5.1 recordings (i. e. AC3 files) with my AKG K-619 stereo headphones (connected to a SB X-Fi card).

Now, the plugin does work (with the 1.10 version of the DLL), but the effect is quite low. When I listen to a test file, the front parts seem to be 2 cm in front of my head and the rear parts seem to be 5 mm behind my head. With real music, it's impossible to distinct between front and back (as it is with real speakers).

Did I forget something, are my headphones not compatible, or is Dolby Headphone simply not better?

Reply #217
Hi, I just discovered that great plugin, and basically it works for me, but it has only minimal effect.

Contrary to most users (it seems), I do not want to upmix stereo sources. I would like to listen to real 5.1 recordings (i. e. AC3 files) with my AKG K-619 stereo headphones (connected to a SB X-Fi card).

Now, the plugin does work (with the 1.10 version of the DLL), but the effect is quite low. When I listen to a test file, the front parts seem to be 2 cm in front of my head and the rear parts seem to be 5 mm behind my head. With real music, it's impossible to distinct between front and back (as it is with real speakers).

Did I forget something, are my headphones not compatible, or is Dolby Headphone simply not better?

What music are you listening to? There a several 5.1 albums that are not so good  and have a bad channel seperation (e.g. voice in all 5 channels instead of only center speaker)

The effect that the front seems to be very close to your head is a well known problem for binaural recordings.  This is because the used HRTFs don't match perfectly to everyone and then it is hard to trick your brain  when you see there is no speaker  in front of you.  But normaly the rear speakers sound pretty realsitic and 5.1 music  should sound much better with DH.

Reply #218

No, you didn't miss nothing. There is no real substitute for listening real multichannel music in 5 speakers. I know that because I did try it a lot...

Reply #219

No, you didn't miss nothing. There is no real substitute for listening real multichannel music in 5 speakers. I know that because I did try it a lot...

I have been trying this out and mostly pleased but today I arrived at truly amazing settings for my CD-Audio collection. I have used BS2B with good results and what started to bother me with DHP is a superstereo effect although clearly more pleasant than plain headphone listening . Using channel mixer I found that reducing stereo image to 0.73 or so yielded a detailed soundstage like Bs2b but with more spacial 3D.

Settings:

Channels = 6
stereo image width = 0.73
Upmix = copy
center = 0.45
sub = 1.00
rear = 1.05

Reply #220
Unfortunately, After a while most of my experiments started to disappoint . I arrived at some other better settings. The biggest surprise is the channel mixer delay settings. I played with them for a while and thought it was better on than off - another step closer to speakers. Typically, I would set a the same positive value on the front and rear channels. Last week i experimented more and set a slightly higher value for the center channel. I think the results are astonishing. This is the most critical parameter for me as without the delay there is still a headphone sound although wider.

FL = 1M
FR = 1M
C = 1.34M
RL= 1 M
RR=1M

Alternative:

FL = 0.05M
FR = 0.05M
C = 0.07 ~ 0.08M
RL= 0.05M
RR=0.05M

Channels = 6 [minus rear center]
stereo image width = 1.00
Upmix = copy
center = 0.55
sub = 0
rear = 0.70

Re: Dolby Headphone Wrapper DSP

Reply #221
Hi!

So, since Yirkha was last active in 2012 I guess this plugin is essentially abandoned?

Since I use this DSP to process files converted to my phone I just wanted to bring up that there's a (IMO) superior virtual surront dsp thanks to TH Köln and musicreo who converted it to be usable with EqualizerAPO.
So I was wondering if this could be added to the plugin, or a similar sibling foobar plugin could be created for it, which I can use in foobar

Reply #222
Am aware there hasn't been a lot of discussion in this forum for some time, but I've recently started listening to 5.1 files on my headphones with Foobar and the Dolby wrapper. What I'm curious about is whether I also need to add Freesurround or Channel Mixer into the mix as well, or, since my files are already 5.1, do I just need to use DHW by itself?

Reply #223
Am aware there hasn't been a lot of discussion in this forum for some time, but I've recently started listening to 5.1 files on my headphones with Foobar and the Dolby wrapper. What I'm curious about is whether I also need to add Freesurround or Channel Mixer into the mix as well, or, since my files are already 5.1, do I just need to use DHW by itself?
If the files are already 5.1 you just need DHW as there's no need to upmix anything in that case.

Reply #224
Any chance to see a new version for foobar2000 2.0?