Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Can I play DTS or DTS audio CDs with foobar2000? (Read 39417 times) previous topic - next topic

Can I play DTS or DTS audio CDs with foobar2000?

Is it possible? on my sb audigy does not working...  even with kernel streaming output.

Reply #1
No, foobar has no built in DTS decoder.  DTS decoders are not freeware, so it can not be added as far as I know.  Also, foobar has no SPDIF passthrough output, so you cannot send it to an external DTS decoder.

Exactly the same applies to AC3, or Dolby Digital 5.1 audio.

Reply #2
There has been an open source DTS encoder announced a few months ago. It's available at rarewares, but "someone" would have to create a fb2k plugin based on it.

Edit: typo fixed
Let's suppose that rain washes out a picnic. Who is feeling negative? The rain? Or YOU? What's causing the negative feeling? The rain or your reaction? - Anthony De Mello

Reply #3
Exactly the same applies to AC3, or Dolby Digital 5.1 audio.

There is an AC3 plugin for foobar2000.

Reply #4
Tigre: that would be great.

Where can i get this AC3 plugin?

Thanks. -=Wolf=-

Reply #5
Where can i get this AC3 plugin?

It comes with the special installer.

Edit: you can also grab it from kode's site.
f to c to f to c

Reply #6
There has been an open source DTS encoder announced a few months ago. It's available at rarewares, but "someone" would have to create a fb2k plugin based on it.

... and has been succesfully implemented in MediaPlayerClassic (unfortunately at present time not all DTS streams are supported ) MPC@SF

Reply #8
I also have VLC (videolan player), but unfortunatly it has the same problem with DTS..

I don't belive it, no players can play thru SPDIF without any processing of audio data? no noise shaping, no dither, no eq, just simply put the bytes to SPDIF out.

Anyanyany idea?  Thanks: -=Wolf=-

Reply #9
I don't belive it, no players can play thru SPDIF without any processing of audio data? no noise shaping, no dither, no eq, just simply put the bytes to SPDIF out.

Anyanyany idea?  Thanks: -=Wolf=-

I can play DTS wav files downloaded from http://www.sr.se/multikanal/english/e_index.stm through S/PDIF of my Revolution 7.1 either with Winamp or Foobar2000 using kernel streaming. Decoding is done by my receiver.

Tomas

Reply #10
i don't think all the dtsfiles from the www.sr.se works (different frame sizes). so if you have problems please try with a couple of the others.

Reply #11
You can play any Dolby Digital or DTS CD or WAV file in FB2k as long as you use kernel streaming output and have a bit-perfect sound card.  Any card that does internal resampling, like the Audigy, will destroy the surround encoding and simply yield static.

Reply #12
You can play any Dolby Digital or DTS CD or WAV file in FB2k as long as you use kernel streaming output and have a bit-perfect sound card.  Any card that does internal resampling, like the Audigy, will destroy the surround encoding and simply yield static.
But is there not a soft decoder solution? I've heard talk of a few options but have as yet been successful in finding a workable solution.

I have a couple of DTS encoded WAV files which I seem to only be able to play on WinDVD 6.0 Platinum - and that's only after burning and mounting an Audio CD image. Tried both foobar2000 0.8.3 and Media Player Classic 6.4.8.2 without success - white noise. No joy using foo_dts.dll either (They're .WAV files extracted from .FLAC files, not native .DTS files)...

I'm new to surround and trying to figure out how to rip and collect all my surround audio content into one place - on my PC. I'd like to use one software player to playback this material. I don't have an external DTS or DD decoder so am looking for a soft solution - preferably WinAmp, however foobar2000 will suffice if I can get it working.

I have an built in surround soundcard (shudder) on my MSI 845PE Max3 motherboard with a Cambridge SoundWorks DeskTop Theater 5.1 DTT2200 speaker setup.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Reply #13
I have a couple of DTS encoded WAV files which I seem to only be able to play on WinDVD 6.0 Platinum - and that's only after burning and mounting an Audio CD image. Tried both foobar2000 0.8.3 and Media Player Classic 6.4.8.2 without success - white noise. No joy using foo_dts.dll either (They're .WAV files extracted from .FLAC files, not native .DTS files)...

I haven't bothered writing documentation for foo_dts but it can handle DTS in WAV quite well once you add .dts extension (file.wav -> file.wav.dts for example).

Reply #14
I haven't bothered writing documentation for foo_dts but it can handle DTS in WAV quite well once you add .dts extension (file.wav -> file.wav.dts for example).
I actually had to "unpackage" the DTS-WAV file first using BeSplit 0.9b6. Then your foo_dts.dll performed swell thanks!

Reply #16
I can play DTS wav files downloaded from http://www.sr.se/multikanal/english/e_index.stm through S/PDIF of my Revolution 7.1 either with Winamp or Foobar2000 using kernel streaming. Decoding is done by my receiver.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=204181"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

How did you get this to work?  I also have a revo7.1, but haven't been able to find any application that can send any form of DTS stream to SPDIF and have it work on my external decoder.  [Exception: WinDVD and PowerDVD both work for DTS DVD soundtracks - neither works for audio, whether DTS-CD padded, raw DTS, or what have you].

Foobar2k with kernel streaming on plays only noise from DTS files on my system.  AC3, MP2, and PCM fomats all work over SPDIF this way, though.

Winamp behaves identically.

This is very annoying.  I can play most DTS files using VLC via analogue means using their now-discontinued decoder, yes.  On the other hand, I have yet to successfully get anything ripped from an audio DTS-CD to play back.  Even utilities like DTS Parser can't even pick up the stream ripped from DTS CDs [attempted with EAC and dbPoweramp converter]. 

I'll echo the earlier poster's question: why is there no app that just sends whatever data we want straight from a file or stream to the SPDIF output?  Why is everything always mutilated before it gets there?

I say this because DTS over SPDIF [which should work in theory] with VLC also doesn't work - it constantly burps, hiccups, crackles, and switches back and forth between DTS and PCM modes as though the stream were either horribly corrupted/jittered or the stream were being processed in some way before hitting the SPDIF out of my revo.

I have wasted many hours in frustration over this.  Among other things, I actually -make- surround mixes and have access to a station with surcode DTS [whose problems with creating files unrecognisable by almost any software in existence are another matter entirely.]

Feh.

D.

eidt #1: foo_dts doesn't appear to have any useful function whatsoever.  Mind you, I haven't been able to find documentation for it anywhere, so I'm assuming that putting it in the foobar2000\components folder was the right thing to do.  Still, there are no settings in the foobar prefs, and DTS files cause it to behave no differently than before.

edit #2: impatience .. heh. renaming the file to .DTS solved that.  Still doesn't do SPDIF, but at least it plays.  DTS-CDs are still useless.  Bah.

edit #3: for amusement's sake: ripping a DTS-CD, taking the raw files for each track, and renaming them to .dts - foobar2k plays them, but it sounds like they're missing about half their frames [i.e. playing every secend frame of audio].  Very, very strange.

Reply #17
How did you get this to work?  I also have a revo7.1, but haven't been able to find any application that can send any form of DTS stream to SPDIF and have it work on my external decoder.[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=265497"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Switch your output in your M-Audio Revolution control panel to Digital. In Foobar disable any DSP plugins, change output date format in playback tab to 16bit fixed-point and change output method to Kernel Streaming. That's all.

Tomas

Reply #18
Why is that if you don't change the extension of a wav file into ".dts" foobar doesn't understand the format? I thought audio files had like a heading in themselves that tels the program which sort of audio file they are 

PS: I dunno anything about programming... could you tell me how to make a batch file that adds a specific extension to every file in a folder? Cheers
"I'm not the kind of people you want me to be" - S1lenCe -

Reply #19
PS: I dunno anything about programming... could you tell me how to make a batch file that adds a specific extension to every file in a folder? Cheers
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

[a href="http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=21351&view=findpost&p=208778]Here's[/url] a little scheme that adds the ability to rename *.mp4 files to *.m4a files recursively from the chosen folder to the folder context (right-click) menu. You can easily change it to  rename *.wav files to *.dts files.
"ONLY THOSE WHO ATTEMPT THE IMPOSSIBLE WILL ACHIEVE THE ABSURD"
        - Oceania Association of Autonomous Astronauts

Reply #20
DTS CDs work fine in foobar, once I extract the disc in EAC to wav files, and then rename the WAVs to *.dts.

Reply #21
DTS CDs work fine in foobar, once I extract the disc in EAC to wav files, and then rename the WAVs to *.dts.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=291400"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

is this what I'll need to do with a concert cd that is comprised of wav files that are in dts format?

Thanks!

Kevin

Reply #23
I don't know but you could just try. 
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=321082"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It didn't work....the music sounded really choppy when I tried playing this .dts file...

Kev

Reply #24
I don't know but you could just try. 
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=321082"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It didn't work....the music sounded really choppy when I tried playing this .dts file...

Kev
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=321108"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

very same problem here ... can't play any dts file , foobar windows mp ffdshow anything just seem to not work right in handling the dts format ..
what should i do ?