Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Converting .flac file to .wav file (Read 1650 times) previous topic - next topic

Converting .flac file to .wav file

1. I have installed foobar2000 v1.6.6 on Windows10. I can load and play a .flac file. My problem is that I want to convert it to a .wav file. It appears that I need a component named foo_converter which is named in grey among Preferences. Here I am stuck because the Install... button just takes me to my own directory of sound files and I can't find a suitable component on the website.

2. I wonder how the converted .wav file will be produced because I don't see any explicit "Convert" or "Save as..." option.  Should I understand that ticking the box at Advanced->Tools->Converter->XConvert to temporary location,, move to destination folder when finished will result in a .wav file being automatically written to my source sounds folder? Shall the filename be the same as something.flac changed to something.wav ?

caleb.bradley@wemail.no

Re: Converting .flac file to .wav file

Reply #1
Fast-track explanation:  right-click the file you want to convert in the playlist and choose Convert->Quick Convert, which will open a window showing your format option--e.g., choose "WAV" to convert the file to *.wav.--then hit the "Convert" button.  Then you can pick a destination/name.  Quoting the Foobar FAQ:

"How do I convert my audio files to another format?
Load tracks you want to convert into a playlist, right click, choose 'Convert' from the context menu, click one of sub-options. Converting functionality requires the Converter component to be installed ('Optional Features → Tools → Converter' during installation).
Note that converting to most supported formats requires external command-line encoders.  Encoders for various popular formats can be easily installed with the foobar2000 free encoder pack. For the remaining formats, we recommend obtaining encoders from RareWares."

Examine/play with the other options in the conversion choices and you'll get the picture.

Re: Converting .flac file to .wav file

Reply #2
Thank you sveakul - now it works exactly as you say (smileyface).