Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Multi-layered wvc file (Read 2860 times) previous topic - next topic

Multi-layered wvc file

With all these streaming services now offering lossless streaming and some of them offering 24/192 streaming as well, I was thinking that Wavpack might be a good fit for this landscape.

I would think that having a wv and then wvc file for every track on a streaming services servers would save a lot of hard drive space, vs keeping a 256K encoded AAC and then a 16/44.1 FLAC/ALAC. It doesn't seem like much. But when you're dealing with 75 million songs, that could be quite a cost saving.

I'm wondering now whether there might be a way to have multiple correction files. One can take a lossy file to CD Quality lossless, and then another correction file could take it to 24/192.

My guess would be that this would be impossible, since the file needs to be re-sampled and dithered to go from 24/192 to 16/44.1, but if it could be done, that would be a neat idea.

Considering the power of computing these days, I wonder if these providers have lossless files and are just converting them on the fly to whatever bitrate the client chooses, and then caches the file in case someone else asks for the same song at the same quality.

Re: Multi-layered wvc file

Reply #1
I thought the same recently while using spotify or listeing to online radio.
 it would be cool if spotify top setting would = wv + wvc, while the
lower levels would be 256 or 320k wv..

Re: Multi-layered wvc file

Reply #2
It wouldn't save them much space. The big advantage of a hybrid format IMHO, is that you keep your lossy and your lossless library in sync - which is a good thing for an end-user, but not much of an issue when everything is done automatically in the first place.