Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: FB2K output always 6 channels? (Read 1129 times) previous topic - next topic

FB2K output always 6 channels?

For the past god knows how long, since circa 2014 I think, I've been using FB2K 1.3.10 with Equalizer APO to upmix to 5.1 with custom settings. When I was forced to upgrade my computer a few weeks ago, I decided to update my FB2K setup to 1.6.5 and painstakingly transferred my old theme over.

Then I set up Equalizer APO and discovered that ALL output options were sending 6 channel audio even for mono and stereo content. If: inputChannelCount == 2 no longer worked, instead, If: inputChannelCount == 6 must be used for all cases... which completely defeats the purpose.

This is true for Primary Sound Driver and any other option.

Foobar2000 1.3.10 did NOT behave this way.

I also noticed that if iTunes is set to Windows Audio Session it always outputs 6 channels, while setting it to Direct Sound it behaves as expected.

Can anyone confirm and/or shed some light on this?

Here are the relevant console entries:

Primary Sound Device:
Code: [Select]
item focus changed 
Opening track for playback: "F:\Music\Beatport\David Tort, Mark.M, Yas Cepeda, Ella Loponte - Strangers (Extended Mix).mp3"
Device: Speakers Digital (SPDIF) (DTS DCH Audio Device)
Mix format: 48000 Hz / 32-bit float / 6 channels (0x3F)
Sending stream: 48000 Hz / 32-bit float / 6 channels (0x3F)

This should be sending 2 channels for a stereo audio file, right? No stream / mix format entries for WASAPI:

WASAPI Primary Sound Device:
item focus changed 
WASAPI shared configuration: 48000 Hz, 6 channels (FL FR FC LFE BL BR), 32 bps (float). Buffer size 1056 frames.
Opening track for playback: "F:\Music\Beatport\Wild Dee - Sunny (Original Mix).mp3"

This is what I'm resorting to for now.

WASAPI VB-Cable (Force Stereo):
item focus changed 
WASAPI shared configuration: 48000 Hz, 2 channels (FL FR), 32 bps (float). Buffer size 1056 frames.
Opening track for playback: "F:\Music\Beatport\Gorillaz, D.R.A.M. - Andromeda (feat. D.R.A.M.) (Purple Disco Machine Remix).mp3"

Re: FB2K output always 6 channels?

Reply #1
It uses WASAPI now, and it always outputs to the default shared format of the device, which includes the channel count.

Re: FB2K output always 6 channels?

Reply #3
Excellent, many many thanks! I'm happy.