Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Gap Killer DSP v0.4.4: how to leave 750ms or 1 second of silence? (Read 1299 times) previous topic - next topic

Gap Killer DSP v0.4.4: how to leave 750ms or 1 second of silence?

I use this version https://foobar.hyv.fi/?view=foo_dsp_nogaps_wip because of the threshold option

Re: Gap Killer DSP v0.4.4: how to leave 750ms or 1 second of silence?

Reply #1
Bug: it skips silence in the beginning of song too, cutting parts of some fade in intros like Metallica - Damage, Inc.

Reply #2
Bug: it skips silence in the beginning of song too, cutting parts of some fade in intros like Metallica - Damage, Inc.

Changes
0.4.6 (2023-03-16):   Recompile with latest SDK and foobar2000 v1.5 compatibility.
0.4.5 (2022-09-05):   Added foobar2000 v2.0 dark mode and 64-bit support.
0.4.4 (2020-02-22):   Fixed a crash with sample rate change.

@Case, what do you think about it?
• Join our efforts to make Helix MP3 encoder great again
• Opus complexity & qAAC dependence on Apple is an aberration from Vorbis & Musepack breakthroughs
• Let's pray that D. Bryant improve WavPack hybrid, C. Helmrich update FSLAC, M. van Beurden teach FLAC to handle non-audio data

Reply #3
It seems I missed this topic when it was originally posted. To answer the question in the title - not possible with this component.

That Metallica's track has a very quiet intro. The beginning gets removed with the component's default settings as it falls below the default -50 dBFS loudness. Adjusting the threshold to only remove quieter unwanted signal is a solution for this track.

Anyway, this component was created in 2003. If I'm not mistaken I made it to get more pleasant listening experience with audio files of that era where gapless encoding wasn't really a thing. I revisited the component in 2017 and tried to make it automatically remove only unwanted gaps, but I didn't get it working perfectly. And I recall people wanted the manual control sliders back.