Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Since I "Upgraded" To Win 10, Foobar Will not Perform Right Click Shell Integrat (Read 1582 times) previous topic - next topic

Since I "Upgraded" To Win 10, Foobar Will not Perform Right Click Shell Integrat

I have the Shell Integration library set with "Folder Context Menus" Checked, but if I right-click on a Music folder, Foobar doesn't show up. On every other version of Windows I've used it on, that works fine. This PC has always been Win 10, so there shouldn't be remnants of ancient versions. Right now the only way I can use Foobar is to open the program & load files or a folder.

Can anyone help?

Re: Since I "Upgraded" To Win 10, Foobar Will not Perform Right Click Shell Integrat

Reply #1
Bounce, can anyone help? I've got it now so I can right click on a file, but it still doesn't work on a folder.

Re: Since I "Upgraded" To Win 10, Foobar Will not Perform Right Click Shell Integrat

Reply #2
Remove Windows Media Player from Add & Remove Features.

Reply #3
Remove Windows Media Player from Add & Remove Features.

MS seems to have removed Media Player on Win 10 Pro 20H2. It's been replaced with "Groove Music" & "Movies & TV". I have Foobar set as the default music player. Am I not seeing a hidden location for Windows media player?

Thanks!

Reply #4
Oh. You have to go to Preferences -> Shell Integration, then enable Folder Context Menus.

Reply #5
Oh. You have to go to Preferences -> Shell Integration, then enable Folder Context Menus.

I feel like an idiot, but I can't find "Preferences" or "Shell Integration" either from settings or by Googling for an answer.

Reply #6
I believe kode54 was referring to the preferences in Foobar;  if you already have "Folder context menus" checked there, go to the Windows Control Panel and click the Programs and Features icon.  Then you should see "Turn Windows features on and off" on the left side of the panel--when you click that, don't you see the option box (below) with the ability to un-check Windows Media Player?  I too am using 20H2, albeit the Home version, and it is indeed there.

Reply #7
I believe kode54 was referring to the preferences in Foobar;  if you already have "Folder context menus" checked there, go to the Windows Control Panel and click the Programs and Features icon.  Then you should see "Turn Windows features on and off" on the left side of the panel--when you click that, don't you see the option box (below) with the ability to un-check Windows Media Player?  I too am using 20H2, albeit the Home version, and it is indeed there.

Thanks much, that worked as  far as media player. I already had Foobar's associations set. It didn't solve the issue. I'm going to reboot & see if that finishes it.

Reply #8
Well I rebooted, & I still can't right click on a folder with music files & enque or play with Foobar. Though Foobar is set to be the default Music app, & it is internally set to have shell associations, & I did successfully remove Windows Media player. If I right click on FILES, Foobar will load the files, but it has no shell integration with folders. Currently, using Foobar 1.65. 

Reply #9
File menu, Preferences. Or, by default, ctrl+P.

Reply #10
File menu, Preferences. Or, by default, ctrl+P.

That worked by checking "Always Show Menus". Thanks to all for your help, & no thanks to Microsoft for doing such a poor job with the Win 10 gui.

Reply #11
The menu toggle is a hotkey. It shows them by default.

Reply #12
Thanks! Unfortunately, this was set up with the Win 10 setting turned off. Glad it's fixed!