Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Not possible to "add to playlist" on folder that contains one or more subfolders (Read 1672 times) previous topic - next topic

Not possible to "add to playlist" on folder that contains one or more subfolders

Android 10, oneplus 6, fully patched. Android app, also fully up to date on play store.

It does not seem possible to add media to a playlist from a folder - if it contains one or more sub-folders/subdirectories. Upon a long press, I just get the delete and rename options (or nothing at all if I'm in the browse "internal storage" section of the UI.) Is this intentional, or am I hitting a bug? It's possible to play all tracks in the folder by simply selecting one track, but not add all of these to a playlist.

To me it seems rather trivial to have two long-press options if a subfolder was found.
  • "Add to playlist" on a folder which contains subfolders - which only adds files at the root of the selected folder
  • "Add all subdirs to playlist" which traverses the selected folder tree and all of it's subfolders/subdirectories and adds all media

I realize that sorting could be an issue that could create debate, but if this function would exist at all, I bet that would make most people quite happy and improve the usability a fair deal.

For example, imagine the structure below:
/Music/Test/
/Music/Test/FileA.mp3
/Music/Test/FileB.mp3
/Music/Test/Subdir1/FileC.mp3
/Music/Test/Subdir2/FileD.mp3
/Music/Test/Subdir3/FileE.mp3

It's not possible to add the /Music/Test/ folder to a playlist at all - you'd have to add all files within Test/ manually to a playlist. If you wanted everything, you'd then need to add subdir 1,2, & 3 manually as well. It sure would be nice to be able to add only Test/ to a playlist (files A and B), or everything within Test/'s tree (files ABCDE). Expand this to hundreds of files and it becomes rather frustrating.

Another use case is an album folder with multiple CD's or bonus track folders. You can't add the top level album - only the subdirectories if they don't contain a folder.

This seems to work quite well in VLC for android, by comparison. Thoughts?

Re: Not possible to "add to playlist" on folder that contains one or more subfolders

Reply #1
This is so incredibly needed. The way my folders are organized make this an absolute chore to try and play music by any category/sort. I have to move folder to subfolder to subfolder, select to add that subfolder to playlist, navigate back, then back again, rinse and repeat.

The lack of this basic, intuitive feature currently makes foobar2000 mobile a non-option and I REALLY hope this can be addressed somehow. Hell, I'd be willing to donate.