Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.

Poll

What codec do you use predominately in your collection?

MP3
[ 447 ] (46%)
Ogg Vorbis    
[ 267 ] (27.5%)
MP4-AAC    
[ 123 ] (12.7%)
MPC    
[ 94 ] (9.7%)
WMA    
[ 13 ] (1.3%)
Other
[ 28 ] (2.9%)

Total Members Voted: 1167

Topic: Your lossy codec of choice in 2006? (Read 184137 times) previous topic - next topic

Your lossy codec of choice in 2006?

Self-explanatory, I think...the previous poll being over a year old and there has been substantial development (IMO) across all the major players (barring MPC with little known about WMA).

Reply #1
MP3. I regret it, because I expected during my first listening test in 2003 a massive support of new formats in hardware players. Situation is getting better and better, but in 2006 MP3 is still ruling the marking with minor issues (tag mostly) compared to Vorbis.
Lossless & mp3 (lame) for me.

EDIT: new poll, at last. Thanks

Reply #2
No problem.  It couldn't have been easier!...I didn't realize this is where the lowly forum plebians could post polls....I suspect if it meets the approval of the mod gods, that it will get moved to the Poll forum.

Thanks to the likes of Iriver, Iaudio and Rockbox for the Ipod, I am happy to say that Vorbis is flying high in my personal collection.

Reply #3
Still mp3.
Looks like i will like it till every hardware will be able to play and store tons of lossless files.
Maybe i´ll never get the chance to need another lossy format
Is troll-adiposity coming from feederism?
With 24bit music you can listen to silence much louder!

Reply #4
mp3, because it's the only codec supported by my DAP. And thanks to Lame, excellent quality.

Reply #5
MP3 - sounds good and works with everything. Maybe if my future devices support a format sounding as good as LAME -V2 at half the bitrate, I'd think about switching. Until then, I see little point in dumping my MP3's.

Reply #6
I haven't made a single ABX testing with Vorbis, Mp3 and other formats, but Mp3 is so hardware supported, so standard in industry and with so great quality when i'm listening to, that i'm still stuck with it.

I've been doing some encodings with vorbis tough, but mainly from lossless sources and pc only enjoyment.
Alguém pare o mundo que eu quero descer!!

Reply #7
Vorbis right now but I'll be probably moving to MP3 in the future.

Reply #8
If you voted for "Other," please follow up with what that entails in the thread.

Reply #9
MP3

Reply #10
I rip CDs and encode to lossless (FLAC these days) and keep a copy on a computer with a very large hard drive.  I encode them into smaller lossy files as required.
I tend to prefer Ogg Vorbis, as I can play them in my Treo 650, and small files are a good thing!

The only things keeping me using MP3 at all are:
-I use DJ software that is badly out of date, and still doesn't support anything other than MP3 and WMA (BPM Studio Professional by AlcaTech) but they claim that they will support Ogg Vorbis and not AAC in the next version.
-A friend I share my files with insists on MP3, mainly just because that's what she already has in her collection.  (She's not nearly as computer savvy as myself though).

AAC is promising too, but it's a pain in the ass to use, and it always costs money in every instance of an encoder or decoder, which I'd rather not bother with.  I do think that the quality is better for ultra-low bitrate lossy encoding.

Reply #11
Axon, I'd be interested in knowing why you currently use Vorbis, but would want to switch to MP3?  Did you recently buy a DAP that doesn't support Vorbis?

Reply #12
AAC is promising too, but it's a pain in the ass to use, and it always costs money in every instance of an encoder or decoder[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=378362"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

What do you mean? You surely know that there are free AAC encoders (iTunes, Real Player) and decoders (aforementioned ones, plus Winamp, Foobar, etc)

Reply #13
As of today, MP3. But having just bought an ipod yesterday, I may soon switch to AAC.

Reply #14
mp3 is all my player supports unfortunately, so thats what i use mostly.  i like to use ogg sometimes, because i know i can get transparent encodes at 128kbps or below.  even more so now, because i use linux, and it just feels right.    i hope to switch to ogg completely eventually, when i get a new dap most likely.  but as for now, i'm satisfied with the quality of mp3 at -V4 or -V5, and mp3 does have the great advantage of being able to be played on any of my friends computers, as sadly, most of them use itunes or windows media player (aka windows media virus).

i know its ot, but i proudly use wavpack for archiving.  its features are unbeatble.
a windows-free, linux user since 1/31/06.

Reply #15
mp3
-foobar2000 + Burrrn + EAC
-HD 80Gb using High QualityVBR MP3s

Reply #16
being that the majority of DVD Players support only MP3, it's going to be MP3... the hardware support is a real stronghold for newer/better encoders

Reply #17
Not even a little doubt. LAME mp3 .

Reply #18
Still using MP3, mainly because of hardware support.
Even though more and more products (mostly, in mobile phones market) start supporting AAC, they are still not fully compatible with it. For example, W800i support both AAC and MP3 but only MP3 tag can be read.

Reply #19
Vorbis baby.
love, IAN
droptothetop.com/

Reply #20
mp3 (Lame of course)...--preset standard averages at 190kbps (Lame 3.97), I can play it everywhere, low power consumption...what else could I be asking for
--alt-presets are there for a reason! These other switches DO NOT work better than it, trust me on this.
LAME + Joint Stereo doesn't destroy 'Stereo'

Reply #21
MP3.

I archived all my 934 CDs in .WV and transcode into .MP3 for my portables.

Reply #22
Vorbis on my H140 due to the speed of encoding of Lancer from my WavPack files.
Nero AAC 1.5.1.0: -q0.45

Reply #23
Back to mp3 for me. I was a dedicated Vorbis user, but with my iPod, PSP, and Dell Axim x51v (love that thing) I realized it was better to use mp3 for compatibility reasons.
--
Eric

Reply #24
MP3. Maybe until lossy is being exterminated.

I expected much more user use LC-AAC with iPod.