Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.

Poll

What codec do you use predominately in your collection?

MP3
[ 447 ] (46%)
Ogg Vorbis    
[ 267 ] (27.5%)
MP4-AAC    
[ 123 ] (12.7%)
MPC    
[ 94 ] (9.7%)
WMA    
[ 13 ] (1.3%)
Other
[ 28 ] (2.9%)

Total Members Voted: 1167

Topic: Your lossy codec of choice in 2006? (Read 184139 times) previous topic - next topic

Your lossy codec of choice in 2006?

Reply #250
@ neorenegade:

It's YOUR opinion that my opinion is full of nonsense. again: I said that my opinion is NOT based on true facts, tests or something like that. But it just explaines why I choose atrac over other lossy codecs, so that people understand why I prefer it.

greetz
- emotion drives the world -

Reply #251
@ neorenegade:

It's YOUR opinion that my opinion is full of nonsense. again: I said that my opinion is NOT based on true facts, tests or something like that. But it just explaines why I choose atrac over other lossy codecs, so that people understand why I prefer it.

greetz

making such posts is wasting space on HA.org's server and makes the discussion forum unclearly. The readers don't want to know your favorite meal or your life's story. HA.org's aim is to support codec-devs. If you want to tell somebody what your dog's name is or why you extremely love atrac and HATE MP3, then make your own homepage where you can write what you want (I'm looking at you gameplaya *lol*)

Short: Make posts based on true events which help readers posters and devs coming to their aim. See HA rules.

By the way: MP3 too  ... still the only codec which every little cheap player supports. Your girl/boyfriend wants to hear a cd of you? Give him/her the album in MP3 and you don't need to worry the person can't play the tracks. See, even Windows Media Player can play MP3 *lol*
FB2K,APE&LAME

Reply #252
making such posts is wasting space on HA.org's server and makes the discussion forum unclearly. The readers don't want to know your favorite meal or your life's story. HA.org's aim is to support codec-devs. If you want to tell somebody what your dog's name is or why you extremely love atrac and HATE MP3, then make your own homepage where you can write what you want (I'm looking at you gameplaya *lol*)

Short: Make posts based on true events which help readers posters and devs coming to their aim. See HA rules.

By the way: MP3 too  ... still the only codec which every little cheap player supports. Your girl/boyfriend wants to hear a cd of you? Give him/her the album in MP3 and you don't need to worry the person can't play the tracks. See, even Windows Media Player can play MP3 *lol*

you're right. it's a waste of space, these discussions. but I really don't understand what the fuss is about....
they ask me what codec I prefer, I say it's atrac, I just simply explain why I love it, and then I get all these kinda pissed attitude reactions. I've stayed correct, nice and appologised for it.

so I just tell Why I love atrac, and they say it's a waste of space, violating rules, stupid nonsense and everything...and the post of neorenegade is not a problem at all?!

I just don't understand...

greetz 
- emotion drives the world -

Reply #253
@atrac

Don't mind the harshness of some people. That's how things are at HA. The aim is to keep a healthy and sane environment for everyone.

Your past claims are full of misconceptions and I think that it triggered a red flag. When you claim that ATRAC is  "warmer and natural" and that MP3 is not that "warm and natural" without providing hard evidence (ABX) you open room for questioning because most likely you are a victim of the placebo effect.

It is a good thing you apologized, however stating that it is your personal opinion does not give you clearance to state unproven things about one or other codec. 

Anyway don't take the harsh posts personally. It is just how it is here.

Reply #254
I fully quote beto.

Also, atrac, I suggest you to try yourself some blinded tests. It is very fun and with foobar it is very simple.

If you do them, I'm sure you will see all the whole story under a very different view, and maybe you will understand because many people here doesn't like post like the first yours.

Reply #255
Anyway don't take the harsh posts personally. It is just how it is here.

yep. 
FB2K,APE&LAME

Reply #256
MP3

I played around with EAC/Nero ACC and loved the results but LAME is still my favorite lossy format.  However my at home listening is almost exclusively WavPack lossless.

Reply #257
I have voted "other", as I am currently using Atrac Lossless 352kbps as it allows me to do the following:
  • store and listen to lossless tracks on my PC
  • convert those lossless files to WAV files and then burn them to Audio CD via Nero. (I know this might not be necessary, as SonicStage can burn Audio CD's - It's just that I like Nero [v6]).
  • transfer gapless lossy files (in my case 352kbps) to my portable of choice (a Hi-MD player), without having to convert the lossless files

I also do create MP3's (Lame) using EAC for my wife's MP3 CD's for the car  at 256kbps (as the player struggles with VBR) and V5 for my childrens' ipod/MP3 player/mobile phone. MP3 seems to have enough votes though! 

Sorry for rattling on.

Cheers

Peter

Reply #258
I also do create MP3's (Lame) using EAC for my wife's MP3 CD's for the car  at 256kbps (as the player struggles with VBR) and V5 for my childrens' ipod/MP3 player/mobile phone. MP3 seems to have enough votes though! 
I think CBR 256 is way overkill, especially in a car. You can use CBR 128, or CBR 192 for added peace of mind. That's 50% and 25% space saving, respectively.

Reply #259
most of my collection is FLAC>.mp3 but recently have been using Nero's AAC because I LIKE IT.

Reply #260
I think CBR 256 is way overkill, especially in a car. You can use CBR 128, or CBR 192 for added peace of mind. That's 50% and 25% space saving, respectively.

I wouldn't disagree with you. It's just that my wife only wants so many albums on a CD Rom and I might as well use a higher bit rate, rather than leave a load of empty space. She also sometimes plays them on a CD MP3 Walkman.

Reply #261
.mp3 (lame) for me. Also .flac for lossless when needed.

Reply #262
Poll closed.  Please take a look at the latest poll.
I'm on a horse.